Author Topic: Tram nightmare  (Read 6057 times)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Tram nightmare
« on: July 16, 2017, 04:26:21 PM »
I am not one to complain as I love the city but we just left a few minutes ago. We were at stop 5 today and when we got out to the trams there was maybe 5 people in line. After waiting in the hot blazing sun for 53 minutes, a bus finally arrived. Needless to say by this time there were at least 200 people in line, with probably half very upset. I have never seen them drop the ball this bad. The bad part is there was a tram sitting off to the side with a crew in it just sitting and talking. They must have been on break or something. We are planning on going back in a little bit for moonlight madness, and will be back tomorrow as well. I also got some pics of the new coaster I will try and post in the construction thread.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Tram nightmare
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 09:20:34 PM »
I thought the couple of times we had to wait 30 minutes for a tram in the hot summer sun was bad but 53 minutes???

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 09:39:01 PM »
I might be in the minority but my family always just walks to the front gate.  Of course we are always able to find a parking spot along the "border" between the free and paid parking.  We just have one of the group get out and scout out an open spot (there's always an open spot) and then park and walk.

SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 10:31:05 PM »
Thats unfortunate. Good way to sour a bunch of peoples day when they were probably trying to get back to Branson for other things. I'm sure theres a story behind it, but thats just bad optics.

Be sure to let them know about it. I'm sure they are aware of it, but customer feedback is a strong force.

Jipper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 11:41:33 PM »
I might be in the minority but my family always just walks to the front gate.  Of course we are always able to find a parking spot along the "border" between the free and paid parking.  We just have one of the group get out and scout out an open spot (there's always an open spot) and then park and walk.

Agreed, I usually just walk and find it quicker than the tram. Although I realize that is not always possible for some folks. Rarely have I had trouble finding a spot in the same area that Swoosh is talking about.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 05:22:02 AM »

Agreed, I usually just walk and find it quicker than the tram. Although I realize that is not always possible for some folks. Rarely have I had trouble finding a spot in the same area that Swoosh is talking about.

I also look for a close spot, haven't ridden the tram in years..

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 02:44:16 PM »

Same with me. Amazing that there are any spots left in that area since we are all looking for them :)

I also look for a close spot, haven't ridden the tram in years..

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 10:48:41 AM »
I have never walked and neither should anyone else. You will be tired after walking from lot 2 to the entrance, that you wont be able to walk far in the park itself. It is about a mile.

Now that I think about it, last time I went I have never waited so long for a tram. It was about 15 to 20 minutes. I complained to an employee walking through the tram stop at the exit but he kept saying "Your tram is right there". I said those trams over there are parked when they should be moving. You only have 1 tram for us, 3 busses for lot 5, and a long line for us in lot 2. You need to get your butts moving and get more trams running. Yet again he said "Your tram is right there".

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 11:05:33 AM »
No one should ever walk in? Maybe some are more physically fit than you! That's the quite the statement!  ;D

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 01:23:56 PM »
I have never walked and neither should anyone else. You will be tired after walking from lot 2 to the entrance, that you wont be able to walk far in the park itself. It is about a mile.

Now that I think about it, last time I went I have never waited so long for a tram. It was about 15 to 20 minutes. I complained to an employee walking through the tram stop at the exit but he kept saying "Your tram is right there". I said those trams over there are parked when they should be moving. You only have 1 tram for us, 3 busses for lot 5, and a long line for us in lot 2. You need to get your butts moving and get more trams running. Yet again he said "Your tram is right there".

So you are saying I cannot walk if I want to ? Why? what is your reasoning? And it is no where close to a mile to the entrance from lot 2. I actually enjoy the stroll in and out. Sorry, but I disagree with your statement.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 03:22:43 PM »
When we were there with my niece a week and a half ago we parked at lot 2, before the park was opened.  Watch 2 trams drive right past all of us who were waiting, then didn't see any more.  We walked up to the gate and weren't passed by a tram the entire time we were walking- going either direction.  This was within 30 minutes of the park's announced opening time, so not sure what was going on there.  There were at least 100 people waiting at stop 2.

Seems like someone has changed some of the procedures and may have forgotten that they are supposed to be transporting people from the parking lot into the park?  I don't know.  First time I've ever seen that and thought it was an aberration.  but with the original post, now I'm wondering...
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 05:16:37 PM »
In previous years I have gotten season preferred parking and we always walk in.  This year they were sold out I guess.  We could not walk anyway as my wife just had knee surgery.  We went back this same day around 6:30 and stayed until 10pm.  Believe me the wife went to guest relations and the did a report on it.  We rented her one of those scooters and she also got a disabled book that let us go in the disabled entrance.  That was sort of like the poor mans trail blazer.  It is really nice they do that.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 09:25:53 PM »
I usually walk as well myself, but when I was a kid the tram ride to the gate was always such a big deal. Of course the green trains and the formerly wooded entrance road were a lot more magical at the time, but it's the little things that add up.

Plus I don't care who you are, walking from lot 3 and especially lot 5 just plain sucks and can involve dodging a lot of cars. They don't have a choice when it comes to maintaining good a good tram system. This is the system they are stuck with.

I wonder how much of the issues have to do with staffing. That has been a problem off and on for the park for ages now. Parking attendants isn't a highly paid job, and the job market is tight.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 10:06:06 AM »

So you are saying I cannot walk if I want to ? Why? what is your reasoning? And it is no where close to a mile to the entrance from lot 2. I actually enjoy the stroll in and out. Sorry, but I disagree with your statement.

Like I said, you will be walking alot while in SDC. Why use all your energy before you get in the park? You need to save that energy for walking in the park instead of in the parking lot.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 01:15:07 PM »

Like I said, you will be walking alot while in SDC. Why use all your energy before you get in the park? You need to save that energy for walking in the park instead of in the parking lot.

I do it all the time and have never run out of energy. If I can run a 26.2 mile marathon Silver Dollar City is a stroll in the park. Advice to you is let people do as they please without judging. And for your information I have been going since the late 60's So I am no newbie.