Author Topic: 99 year lease  (Read 3264 times)

npd652

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
99 year lease
« on: August 07, 2017, 03:12:57 AM »
I know the story about Hugo Herschend purchasing a 99-year lease on the cave in 1950.  Is this "lease" still in place? If it is, it will expire in 2049. I was just curious to what happens if this lease is still legally binding and what happens in 2049 when it expires. I'm guessing the lease no longer exits but I don't really know. Hope somebody knows more because I'm just curious about it.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
Re: 99 year lease
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 10:25:53 AM »
I know we've had this discussion in the past, but I couldn't find that thread.

If I remember correctly, people in that thread said most of the park is on land owned by Herschend and that the property on the lease is just a small part of the actual park. I believe it was said all the major rides are on land not included in the lease, and I'm sure Herschend has made sure the lease won't be an issue come 2049.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 03:57:21 PM »
When the Lynch sisters passed, everything they had passed to a church in Branson and the College of the Ozarks.. I swore that the company offered to purchase the property in the 90s, but others here disagreed with me. I don't know the current status. All the power brokers in town know that SDC is a good thing, and I cannot imagine the stake holders would do anything to change what is in place. Why would anyone want to screw things up? However, in every situation there is always at least one guy who wants to throw the monkey wrench in the works. I pray when the issue comes up, cool heads will prevail, and things will continue. Since Hershend development surrounds it all, someone might have to pay the family company to access the island with the cave under it, lol!
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 04:35:48 PM »
Doing a quick property search online, this is what I found. The land in blue is owned by SCHOOL OF THE OZARKS & BRANSON PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH while the land in green is owned by an SDC connected company.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 02:47:12 PM »
It's a complicated setup. We've gone over it several times in the past, and the basic answer is that we don't have any idea of knowing how it is really setup anymore. Court house records may show that the church is still involved, but there are surely other layers of legal agreements at work here. Obviously HFEC is pretty confident of their position, judging by the tens of millions invested over the years.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 03:34:20 PM »
Look at all the land they own along the high road interchange. No wonder they spent so much money lobbying for it years ago.