Author Topic: US Marshals Museum targets 2016 opening  (Read 6560 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
US Marshals Museum targets 2016 opening
« on: June 28, 2013, 10:05:27 PM »
Fundraising seems to be picking up steam and this looks like it's going to actually happen

http://www.usmarshalsmuseum.com/

Ol' Rooster might be pleased.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:06:49 PM by chittlins »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: US Marshals Museum targets 2016 opening
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 03:05:27 AM »
That will be a neat place to visit..  very cool.!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 12:15:57 PM »
I've not been following progress on this project very closely, but it promises to be another big attraction in NW AR.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 08:05:32 PM »
Walton Family Foundation gave 2 million toward the museum.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 08:49:21 PM »
I've seen some press on this the last few days, looks like this project will turn out fine.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 07:32:30 AM »
The museum is moving to a larger plot of land donated by the same family as the first and will now include a Trail of Tears Memorial on the grounds done in conjunction with the Five Civilized Tribes. This plot will give the museum room for expansion  in the future.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 12:49:14 PM »
Some news:

Officials with the U.S. Marshals Museum in Fort Smith announced a $5 million gift Thursday, a week prior to the museum’s planned groundbreaking Sept. 24

Jim Dunn, president and CEO of the museum, said the pledged anonymous gift is the museum’s largest to date and “provides us a great deal of momentum in our fundraising efforts.”

Officials said in March that the museum board had raised about $14 million of the estimated $50 million needed to build the 52,260-square-foot museum on 16 acres overlooking the Arkansas River.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 08:07:20 AM »
Fundraising efforts seem to be going well. The coins and commemorative bb gun have done well. It's not at a stand still.

The Museum, if it stays relatively on track, may get a boost from a renewed interest in the story of US Marshall Bass Reeves. A former slave that was one of Judge Parker's best in the territories. Morgan Freeman and HBO have agreed to a mini series on him.
http://www.thecitywire.com/node/37606#.VVyD3SUo6BY

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 12:44:22 PM »
There's certainly a big museum fad going around lately. Tulsa's getting a couple of random museums in the $20-30 million range, and OKC looks like it will get funding to finish it's ~$120 million boondoggle of a museum. Every municipality of any size seems to be looking for a museum to build to get tourist dollars.

Honest question: why not invest in amusement parks instead? They don't have to be giant ones, I'm talking Fun Spot sized. Way more revenue, proven tourism generation, and bigger economic impact. Green Bay is one proven model to follow.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 02:29:09 PM »
There's certainly a big museum fad going around lately. Tulsa's getting a couple of random museums in the $20-30 million range, and OKC looks like it will get funding to finish it's ~$120 million boondoggle of a museum. Every municipality of any size seems to be looking for a museum to build to get tourist dollars.

Honest question: why not invest in amusement parks instead? They don't have to be giant ones, I'm talking Fun Spot sized. Way more revenue, proven tourism generation, and bigger economic impact. Green Bay is one proven model to follow.
I dislike talking about  Green Bay. They got rights to a ride that should have never left Memphis and certainly not for what they paid.The loss of the Zippin Pippin and the Memphis Belle under King Willie should be punishable under law.

I loved the Adventure Pointe concept for Texas City but it's gone silent It seems. It was small but well done concept wise.

The Marshalls Museum concept is a solid one though. There was competition among other cities for the rights. Judge Parker and his Marshalls are such a part of local and national history it just seems like a fit and not forced.

I'm hoping the renewed interest and explosion in  river cruising means we'll see boats venture up the Arkansas again In the coming years.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile