Author Topic: Celebration City Closes, Possible Redevelopment Planned  (Read 21588 times)

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Celebration City Closes, Possible Redevelopment Planned
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2008, 11:05:09 AM »
Keep the kids ride?  Why?  Unless things have changed since last year, I thought that the kids rides were terrible.

Are you a two-year-old or four-year-old?  Do you have kids that are that age?  You try telling my kids that the rides there are terrible. 

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2008, 12:25:39 PM »
My kids 3 and 4 are so upset that Celebration City is closing.  They loved the sheer number of kiddie rides.  They also liked being able to ride the tilt-a-whirl and were constantly measuring to see if they could ride the bumper cars.  On a side note it is wierd that the bumper cars had such strict "no ride" height restrictions, even with an adult.  Of course in this litigious world who can blame any of the parks for stict anything.  It is a wonder that they let even adults ride anything other than a pillow machine the way some sue happy people are always looking for a quick buck.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2008, 05:48:28 PM »
^^^They've already announced extra long hour days for next season. http://www.sdcfans.com/news.php?id=41

It is too bad they didn't hold CC to that though. They may have survived if they had lengthened their hours and provided more adult entertainment, rather than cutting hours so most people couldn't even make it to the park, and market to a group that was really more interested in SDC in the first place.

sdcforever

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2008, 05:53:40 PM »
^^^They've already announced extra long hour days for next season. http://www.sdcfans.com/news.php?id=41

It is too bad they didn't hold CC to that though. They may have survived if they had lengthened their hours and provided more adult entertainment, rather than cutting hours so most people couldn't even make it to the park, and market to a group that was really more interested in SDC in the first place.

That's one thing I never understood.  We used to go to WW and SDC in the same day, WW first and then SDC.  When CC was announced and they dubbed it a nighttime park I thought it would be open until midnight.  I was excited thinking about the possibility of spending a large chunk of the day at SDC (because it's bigger and has more attractions) then leaving in the evening and spending the rest of the day at CC.  But with CC closing so early in the night that was never possible.  I really wish it had longer hours and more adult entertainment.  It might still be open if it did.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2008, 06:15:56 PM »
Originally it did stay open later, but when the crowds never showed up, well those hours were cut.
SWOOSH

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2008, 08:02:50 PM »
     By last year, I thought that the park was trying to make a legitimate stab at being a family park.  I took my 3 and 4 year old and we had a great time. . . but we went to the sea lion show, the parrot show, the Veggie Tale show, sand pit, water fountains, and legoland.  The rides were okay. . .but they were clearly run down carnival rides.  My kids loved the children's "thrust" tower at Six Flags STL but were to short to ride the CC version.  I liked the smallness for walking around with small children and I liked the scenery. 
     We did not go this year because there were not shows that would attract my kids and the rides just didn't prove to be reason enough to go.  If someone is only going for rides, than why not go to that little children's park in front of the Tanger Mall. 
     Do the Hershends own the Grand Village (that Victorian shopping mall across from the Grand Palace.)  If they do, why not move the children's rides to that parking?

sdcforever

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2008, 09:03:23 PM »
     Do the Hershends own the Grand Village (that Victorian shopping mall across from the Grand Palace.)  If they do, why not move the children's rides to that parking?

They did own the Grand Village, but sold it in 2005.

Originally it did stay open later, but when the crowds never showed up, well those hours were cut.

I forgot that it was open later, but in 2003 when CC opened I no longer lived in the Springfield area.  By the time I briefly moved back it was no longer open late.

sdcforever

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2008, 10:46:10 PM »
I've been reading up more on the closing, and HFE has ideas for redevelopment of the property but it looks like nothing will be happening next year.  How soon anything is done with the property depends on the economy.  So next year when you drive by CC it'll look like one of the many abandoned theme parks that exist in this country, since all of the rides are staying put for now. :-\

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2008, 04:55:22 PM »
Does anyone know when Wonders of Wildlife at Bass Pro plans to reopen?  If so, how would that affect any aquarium built at CC?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2008, 08:25:14 PM »
^I believe it's supposed to open sometime next Spring.

Johnny Boy

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • ...What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2008, 11:31:14 PM »
So they aren't demolishing the whole place down?
If so, that's a relief, but at the same time, from a buissiness perpective, the land CC is on is clearly not meant for
a theme park experiance. This is at least the 3rd time the land has been closed to be re-opened. Perhaps a more simple attraction is in order, something more adult, like a resort hotel and resteraunt, or a premeir shopping area? CC is fun for me about once a year, so I'm only conrtibuing about $150.00 to CC a year, including ticket prices, food and drink, and various souveniers. It's just not a big money maker.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2009, 07:39:38 PM »
There's a rumor floating around that a local church has made some sort of agreement with HFEC to lease CC somehow for the mean time. I don't know if they're using one of the buildings as a chapel, or having a christian fun-fair, or what. Anyone know more?

barnswingfan

• I could ride the Giant Barn Swing for hours!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2009, 10:39:29 AM »
There's a rumor floating around that a local church has made some sort of agreement with HFEC to lease CC somehow for the mean time. I don't know if they're using one of the buildings as a chapel, or having a christian fun-fair, or what. Anyone know more?

I don't know exactly how it works but there is already a church using CC.. The big castle building has services every weekend. 

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2009, 12:46:10 PM »
Stopped by on a very overcast May 1 to catch a few silhouette images of CC

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile