Author Topic: Rube Dugan's Diving Bell...Awesome.  (Read 17322 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Rube Dugan's Diving Bell...Awesome.
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2010, 08:12:13 AM »
Wait time for the diving bell was usually under 20 minutes. No specific times for rides, just whenever a crowd gathered out in front. The Juniors working the line usually kept folks entertained, and kids could play in the playground.

-

As far as the theming...the entry tunnels were pretty bland. If you go to lost river today and get in line...soon as you cross the threshold into the building up until you get to the loading area, you are walking in what is left of the old entry tunnel for diving bell capsules A and B. Nothing has changed in that tunnel in the period of 1984-2010 except maybe a new coat of paint. When a group got to the loading dock for the capsules, that's where the theming kicked up. Barrels and crates were stacked up as if it were a real dock. The little water feature as you entered made it appear as if the diving bell were floating, and the little paddle wheel turned, as well as a pipe coming out of the side of the craft that drained water.
-
When exiting the diving bell after the ride you walked down a little tunnel themed to look as if it were a cave or mine shaft. When you came to the central exit tunnel that's where the waterfall was. it was lit up nicely. Then, as you turned to your right, you could begin to see daylight again...as you turned to exit the cave, a fat vein of silver was embedded in the rocks...the closest anyone ever came to the lost silver treasure!

For those of you interested in secret places around SDC...here is one more you never heard about! Behind that waterfall was a little room. From time to time, some of the Juniors took a smoke break in there. We just stood far back enough where you could not see us. But we were watching you! It was air conditioned in there, and so taking a quick smoke break was nice.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 11:09:06 AM »
I'm a bit slow with the newfangled computer technology so I'm going to see if I can do something many of you have already mastered...here is goes...let me try it....nowwwwwww:

NOPE! Didn't work...OK, I'm asking for help. How can I add a photo to my post? I've got a few old snapshots I'd like to share here directly rather than on the ole Flickr site. Help me, please! I'm an old goat with only limited knowledge of a computer...
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 11:56:18 AM »
You can sign up for a free photobucket.com or a similar site. Add your photos there, click on the "insert image" icon that looks like a photo, and paste the url/ direct link that will appear with the photo here and it will be good to go. If you get that far, and there are still issues we can attempt to resolve them as needed!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
Ah...thanks. I'm going to try that!