Author Topic: Rube Dugan's Diving Bell...Awesome.  (Read 17313 times)

Barreloflaughs

• View Profile
Rube Dugan's Diving Bell...Awesome.
« on: October 23, 2008, 11:24:19 PM »
 Some years ago a special set of SDC commemorative pins was put out, and I noticed one of a ride I had never heard of and knew it couldn't just be hidden somewhere in the park. I asked one of the friendly folks selling the pins what had happened to the ride and he told me it was real neat and everything but they just had to get rid of it, didn't know why. What he told me about the ride gave me the impression that it actually went under water and now I've been trying to figure out what it really was. Thanks to this site, I find it was Rube Dugan's Diving Bell. I badly want to ride it.

Maybe I'm just nostalgic, but older, overlooked technology and entertainment excites me much more than the latest. I really wish I'd gotten to go to SDC back when it was really the Wild West Disney Land. I wish things would go back to the way they were even just a few years ago when characters roamed the park messing with people. There's that one skinny guy who used to be on the Branson Channel that was always around pulling gags. I haven't seen him in so long, I can't remember his name. And what about Doc that hung out around Wildfire? How can SDC be SDC without all that great old stuff? What happened?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:32:24 PM by History Buff »
Lost my leg on the Powder Keg!

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: Rube Dugan's Diving Bell...Aweosme.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 01:39:33 AM »
The skinny guy you are talking about is most likely Terry Sanders.  He is still there, and in fact in full force this year as he has several characters roaming the park.  Terry is a very funny guy, who plays his characters really well.  He is also from my hometown. :)  He has occasionally became Doc Harris this year also.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 01:42:22 PM »
Obviously by me name-sake here, I joyfully remember this ride as my first memory of SDC. Funny how a splash of water, and a life preserver thrown at you can stay in there for 28 years!

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 07:59:05 PM »
I saw Terry as Doc Harris Saturday night.  We were walking around the park at about 10:30 p.m.  There may have been like 50 people actually in the park  at that time.  We were walking around taking in the sights near Grandfather's Mansion, and Doc Harris comes out of nowhere.  He said hello to us in his German accent.  We kept walking on by (I usually just say hi, I don't interact a lot I guess) and we watched him walk right into Grandfather's Mansion like he lived there.  The whole time he was talking to himself with his accent.  We never noticed him coming back out, but we didn't hang around too long.  I wonder how long he stayed in there.  Maybe he was checking it for guests since the park was 1/2 from closing. 

DocSpeleo

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 11:14:03 PM »
Doc Harris has taken up residence in Grandfather's Mansion.
No character actors are around during the Christmas Festival so they are all in other positions.  Doc is now taking care of the Mansion....

SO don't misbehave you'll be part of one of his experiments...

sdcforever

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 11:34:48 PM »
^I think it'd be cool if Terry portrayed Grandfather sometime...

So when Grandfather lost his lease did Doc Harris pick it up? ;)

DocSpeleo

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 12:54:20 AM »
^I think it'd be cool if Terry portrayed Grandfather sometime..

I too had just thought about that... this weekend when I was hanging around the mansion with him.  I may have to spring that on him on our next work day..

DocSpeleo

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 11:25:40 PM »

Doc working near the exit of Grandfathers Mansion....

sdcforever

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 12:11:34 PM »
^Hilarious! :D  Thanks for the pic!

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 01:18:50 PM »
loved it, even though scared the crap out of me the first time i rode it. mainly the part when they where weighing you before you got in (don't know if that was a gag or an actual necessity) and they would tell you that if we had to much weight that the floor would drop away and we would all go swimming(not a problem if you knew how to swim.oops didn't show up that day at the pool) and then when all the water started rushing in as the depth charges were fired('cause as others did, i thought that we were actually underwater and i kinda liked dry land.) as i grew up i liked to ride it more and more that is until i showed up one year and it wasn't there anymore,boy i'd like to see it come back too
KANSAS CERTIFIED EMT, AND FRIEND TO THE PARK FOREVER

stlphotogal

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 03:25:11 PM »
This, unfortunately, was my LEAST favorite ride in the park for it scarred me for life! I was literally terrified that I was going to get swallowed up by a squid or drown. They had to throw me a life preserver...it was horrible. Remember, rube?  ::)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 03:55:42 PM »
funny I said the same thing!!!
Posted on: November 11, 2008, 01:42:22 PM Posted by: rubedugans 
Obviously by me name-sake here, I joyfully remember this ride as my first memory of SDC. Funny how a splash of water, and a life preserver thrown at you can stay in there for 28 years!
Maybe you were there that day too! Luckily it wasn't me with the life preserver, some bratty girl screaming!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 09:07:44 PM »
It's not going to come back - especially not in the same form (though I long for the day it does).  I did propose a "tribute" attraction in the Your Attraction Ideas thread (http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=130.15):

Rube Dugan's Treehouse OR Miners' Treehouse:

Huck's Treehouse is revisioned and repositioned.  The miners have taken to the trees to throw claim jumpers off their tracks.  The new treehouse is complete with spy gear and defensive capabilities (built from items available in the 1800s).  Visitors who trespass in the treehouse will see their living quarters, kitchen, and even restroom facilities (outhouse in the sky, placed above a sidewalk in the populous Silver Dollar City).

Miners are working their mines during the day, but a may return at any time for a snack or a nap.

A room laden with special effects gimmicks will serve as the Silver Room, where each miner has stashed his findings.

This concept could pay tribute to the defunct Diving Bell as parts of the facility would be built to resemble the bell, now salvaged from the depths of Lake Silver.

This concept could also take advantage of some of the recent additions to other Herschend parks and could include a zip line and ropes course elements.

I foresaw this as an answer to Disney's Swiss Family Treehouse, only with stuff to do.  It would be a terrific upgrade to the closed treehouse already in the park, and it could replace Geyser Gulch (IMO) with a much more themed attraction, but with some of the same features.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 11:46:40 PM »
Unfortunately, I never got to ride the Diving Bell.  But I love the stories and the pictures! :)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 11:18:15 PM »
When the Diving Bell opened, I was of an age to recognize that we weren't actually diving, but the theme, the acting, and the hydraulic movement were so well done that I actually had my doubts the first couple of times. And even after that, I enjoyed it for the show and the adventure.