Author Topic: The Joker at SFOT  (Read 2933 times)

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
The Joker at SFOT
« on: May 28, 2017, 02:10:45 PM »
Thought you might find this interesting about the new Joker coaster at Six Flags Over Texas:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/People-Rescued-From-Six-Flags-New-Roller-Coaster-The-Joker-423284834.html

The incident occurred last weekend.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: The Joker at SFOT
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 04:24:53 PM »
Pretty unfortunate that it happened on it's first day, but the actual incident is pretty typical. It's kind of odd that it would happen on such a new ride with theoretically better design and technology though. You'd think they'd have better methods than bringing out a firetruck in this day and age. It sounded like they had trouble even figuring out how to get the car down afterwards...

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 08:54:18 PM »
Rode it Wednesday and had a great time on it.  It's a lot like the old Zipper rides in experience- I got 4 flips on it, while my kids got two.

I find the stories about that stoppage very interesting.  They keep saying that a sensor detected a problem and stopped the car.  Except there are no brakes where the car stopped.  Once it came off the lift it should have free rolled all the way to the end brakes as there aren't any other trims or blocks on it at all.  So I'm wondering what the real issue was.  Something like a hat stuck in a wheel maybe?  Someone at the park did say that there were gale force winds blowing at the time, so I wonder if that was the likely culprit.

In any case it was a lot of fun and fits very well into that section of the park.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 10:47:23 PM »
That's so funny because I rode the one in Chicago on Wednesday.  I'm still mad at SFOT for not having their version open when I was at the park earlier this year.  It cycled trains the entire day taunting me.  Oh well, I guess that gives me another excuse to head back to Texas in the near future.
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 07:49:24 AM »
I rode SF Great Adventure's version last Sat. The only issue I have with it is the shoulder restraints hit my shoulders at a wieRd angle and left quite a bruise. It was a snap to fit into even with my large upper torso but when it was showtime, it was pain time. But... I doubt it effects many people.

Now, SkyRush at Hershey gets complaints from all types of riders for the thigh pain issue. Heck, they complain as they load for rerides.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 09:08:55 AM by chittlins »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 08:29:42 AM »
SKyrush is legit issue though. I found it to be worse in the wing seats. 
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 09:09:26 AM »
SKyrush is legit issue though. I found it to be worse in the wing seats.

You will see people refuse the outside seats for sure .