Author Topic: Lucky Silver Mine Restaurant at SDC  (Read 7315 times)

npd652

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Lucky Silver Mine Restaurant at SDC
« on: May 16, 2017, 02:31:51 AM »
I read an article that stated that the Mine Restaurant at SDC has a few "unique" tables. The article states that there are certain tables that actually move up very slowly and one that moves down slowly. Anybody know if this is true and if they still have these tables today?   

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Lucky Silver Mine Restaurant at SDC
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 08:16:35 AM »
2 of the tables I think..  very funny when you see it happen.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 08:18:15 AM »
I know of the one that rises slowly while you eat, but haven't heard of the one that lowers. I believe there is one that rises or maybe slowly turns in Molly's Mill.

McFarlands, in the IMAX, also has 2 rising tables.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 09:32:42 AM »
yes the table rises VERY slowly.... then just as slowly lowers back down,

And yes there are 2 of them at McFarlands also

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 08:00:56 PM »
I can confirm that there is at least 1. It is in the middle of the walkway, next to a pole. It slowly rises when a family sits down. As they go for seconds at the buffet and come back, it is like a show. They will eventually tell the waitor/waitress about it, not trying to complain. We all laugh as she/he tells them whats going on and lowers it with a tool. I was about 10 when I saw it for myself, but it has been a while. I never sat at the table. I recently heard about more tables, which must have been put in after the last time I was there. I heard one lowers somehow or spins. ??? Never been back since because like all other food there, it is way over priced like fair food. Just go to Wendy's or Taco Bell before going, unless you have lots of food in a backpack prepared to take in. If you have the money and want to see it, be my guest. I wont be seeing it again until the prices are reasonable again and I doubt that will ever happen.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 08:13:25 PM »
At least one of them has been around for quite some time...i know because i sat there with a sibling and some cousins the last time my cousins came which was 15 or 16 years ago...my how time flies....
Anyway, we always made a point to eat there and had never seen it before then but hope we see someone sitting there now so we can watch.
The funny part was none of us kids really noticed. The waitress told the adults and they were laughing because we were just shoveling it in not noticing, and then the waitress came out and yelled "WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY TABLE?"
It was great. Mom still talks about it.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

npd652

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 03:56:04 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. I will have to go check this out while I'm there this Saturday!!

sawblade5

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 10:53:45 PM »
I must add to this topic. There's also a bench in the Train Depot that is supposed to raise. AFAIK it is still there. However I have never seen it in operation so I don't know if it still works or not.

Has anyone seen the raising bench in operation at the train depot?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 11:54:28 PM »
I must add to this topic. There's also a bench in the Train Depot that is supposed to raise. AFAIK it is still there. However I have never seen it in operation so I don't know if it still works or not.

No.  This is not correct.
SWOOSH

sawblade5

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 12:13:47 PM »

No.  This is not correct.

See for yourself, it's the bench between the 3rd and 4th gate in the train depot. (The bench that only faces one side towards the 3rd loading area as the rth loading area does not have a bench) The bench is or was attached to hydraulic jacks, so I am assuming it could be raised or lowered. I don't know if I got a photo of it. If anyone has a photo of inside the platform you can verify if it's there or not anymore.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 08:56:29 PM »

Sorry Swoosh, but it absolutely is correct!  However, it tends to have problems with the hydraulic system and goes for long periods without working.  But when it does work it's a lot of fun.  When I worked there we had a ball activating it and watch people get caught by surprise.

Though I have to admit there were a couple of times we got distracted only to find people a couple of feet in the air when the train was arriving.  lol
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 09:06:28 PM »
In all my years, I have never heard of a hydraulic bench in the depot.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 09:15:26 PM »
It's there.  It's the bench closest to the doors of the old gift shop (now the photo spot).  In Swoosh's defense, it's very easy to miss.  It's a bit shorter than the other benches sticking out in the station, and doesn't have another bench on it's backside.  And again most don't know it's there because it works so infrequently.  Maintenance usually has it as a very very low priority on their list, and it's just a pain to get it working right with the old hardware in it, so they usually don't.  In my 3 years there I think we had it working half a season or so.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 10:51:13 PM »
Regarding the special tables in the mine and mill restaurants, they have been in place since the 1970s at least. When I worked in the foods department in 1978 and 79, they were there, and I have used them both. They always got a great reaction. Quite fun.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 09:57:06 AM »
So I took a picture of the famous "ghost bench" in the depot yesterday when we were there.  you'll find it at
https://sirwillow.smugmug.com/Amusement-Parks-Roller/Mid-USA-TX-MO-OK-etc/Silver-Dollar-City-March-24-2017/i-jK76Zc3/A

If you look at the legs, you'll see that they aren't on the ground at all but are floating.  The barrel next to it hides it a bit.  If you look close right by the center legs under the guy is an odd looking object.  That's the hydraulic lift for the bench.  the fact that they have another bench on the back side of it right against it tells me that it's, once again, not working.  But there it is for the skeptics.  :-)