Author Topic: New Steam Engines Arriving at SDC  (Read 3772 times)

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: New Steam Engines Arriving at SDC
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2016, 07:09:15 AM »
Heard employees say the track is to replace the track that is starting to get old now. Others say we may be sending trains to Branson as another form of transportation, besides the 1 road that leads here.

Runner1960

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2016, 09:05:49 AM »
Heard employees say the track is to replace the track that is starting to get old now. Others say we may be sending trains to Branson as another form of transportation, besides the 1 road that leads here.

Do you know when someone is pulling your chain? Those engines would never be able to make the trip between Branson and SDC. They are not designed for it. They cannot even make the park loop without stopping to get a new head of steam pressure.

I am not saying that another form of transportation might be in store for the future. But it will not be these engines.

sirwillow

• McCoy
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2016, 09:48:10 AM »

Do you know when someone is pulling your chain? Those engines would never be able to make the trip between Branson and SDC. They are not designed for it. They cannot even make the park loop without stopping to get a new head of steam pressure.

I am not saying that another form of transportation might be in store for the future. But it will not be these engines.

Almost completely agreed.  The Branson to Silver Dollar City train is a long rumored thing that has little chance of actually happening. It wouldn't be worth the millions upon millions that it would cost to build it- far more than any roller coaster, and the staffing costs.... Would it be nice?  Sure.  Would it be feasible? Nope.

Oh, one small correction.  The trains actually no longer need to stop where the robbery is to build a head of steam.  Their original engine, which was much smaller, did.  They've actually still got that one.  Last I heard it was next to the round house but they want to put it on display in the park again at some point.  If you look at the "You know your from Silver Dollar" facebook page you can see a couple of pictures of it in action.  But their current engines do not. They're hefty enough that they can keep on rolling and make it back with no problem.  And they actually do so on a regular basis if there is a reason to not have a show (e.g. it's pouring rain or other issues)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2016, 10:13:22 AM »
Do you know when someone is pulling your chain?

No.  No he doesn't.  He has repeatedly confirmed this.
SWOOSH

Runner1960

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2016, 02:12:30 PM »

Almost completely agreed.  The Branson to Silver Dollar City train is a long rumored thing that has little chance of actually happening. It wouldn't be worth the millions upon millions that it would cost to build it- far more than any roller coaster, and the staffing costs.... Would it be nice?  Sure.  Would it be feasible? Nope.

Oh, one small correction.  The trains actually no longer need to stop where the robbery is to build a head of steam.  Their original engine, which was much smaller, did.  They've actually still got that one.  Last I heard it was next to the round house but they want to put it on display in the park again at some point.  If you look at the "You know your from Silver Dollar" facebook page you can see a couple of pictures of it in action.  But their current engines do not. They're hefty enough that they can keep on rolling and make it back with no problem.  And they actually do so on a regular basis if there is a reason to not have a show (e.g. it's pouring rain or other issues)

Sir Willow , Thanks for the information. I think a lot of people including me thought the stop was still intended to build a head of steam. Being a Boiler operator for many years the power of steam still wows me at times.

treed

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2017, 06:18:43 PM »
Does anyone have any new info on the progress of "new" locomotives?