Author Topic: Shepherd of the Hills - New Adventure Park  (Read 21178 times)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Shepherd of the Hills. Not going to Open
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2017, 04:41:16 PM »
The drama needs to stay!  I don't know if better advertising, putting it on fewer nights per week, adding other  entertainment venues, or turning it in to a dinner theatre will help, or not. I'm willing to bet that once people realize how great it is sitting outdoors in that hollow in that amphitheater, they will come.  Breathe some new life into it, and keep it going. It's great family entertainment.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 02:43:57 PM by Gilligan »

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2017, 08:45:25 AM »
From their Facebook page. (this was from yesterday so this is happening today at 11am)

Join us tomorrow at 11am on Facebook Live as we broadcast our Press Conference announcing development plans and exciting new attractions coming to The Shepherd of the Hills!

I'm very interested in hearing what the plans are.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2017, 11:31:48 AM »
So from the tiny bit I've been able to listen to, the show is coming back in original form this year.

Then next year it is being rebuilt as part of the new Shepard of the Hills adventure park with a new or upgraded theatre and show. Sounds interesting. Can't wait to hear more details, but it sounds like they are basically doing what most of us were getting at.

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2017, 11:35:03 AM »
So from the tiny bit I've been able to listen to, the show is coming back in original form this year.

Then next year it is being rebuilt as part of the new Shepard of the Hills adventure park with a new or upgraded theatre and show. Sounds interesting. Can't wait to hear more details, but it sounds like they are basically doing what most of us were getting at.

Also heard that the main change this season is that they are adding atv/utv trail rides.  They have 10 vehicles being delivered as early as today that will accommodate 4 ppl.   They are working on the trails now.   The 2 new owners are Jeff Johnson (banker from Spgfd) and his partner is the owner of Chalets on Table Rock Lake.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Shepherd of the Hills - New Adventure Park
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2017, 12:01:11 PM »
The new owners sound like a perfect fit with roots tied to the SotH.

Now that I've listened to his bit, it sounds like basically all they have announced so far is that the play will start up again next Friday, the tower & trail of lights are coming back, new atv trail rides, and some general TLC to the property. He also mentioned some new zip lines will be added in addition to bringing back the old one off the tower.

We'll see what else they announce as they move closer to bringing the "adventure park" side of it next year. Right now it kinda sounds like the status quo with some atv rides and extra zip lines... I hope they don't fall into the same trap of cheaping out and not innovating quite enough. I'm all for preserving what is there, but they need to push the envelope a little more than a few ATV's and some extra zip lines. That stuff is all over the place already as it is... Even mountain coasters are about to get played out already in Branson. They need to figure out something unique and attractive and do it in a major way. A decent water park with custom slides and attractions would be a huge hit - like an Ozark Schlitterbahn.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2017, 01:13:18 PM »
The new owners sound like a perfect fit with roots tied to the SotH.

Now that I've listened to his bit, it sounds like basically all they have announced so far is that the play will start up again next Friday, the tower & trail of lights are coming back, new atv trail rides, and some general TLC to the property. He also mentioned some new zip lines will be added in addition to bringing back the old one off the tower.

We'll see what else they announce as they move closer to bringing the "adventure park" side of it next year. Right now it kinda sounds like the status quo with some atv rides and extra zip lines... I hope they don't fall into the same trap of cheaping out and not innovating quite enough. I'm all for preserving what is there, but they need to push the envelope a little more than a few ATV's and some extra zip lines. That stuff is all over the place already as it is... Even mountain coasters are about to get played out already in Branson. They need to figure out something unique and attractive and do it in a major way. A decent water park with custom slides and attractions would be a huge hit - like an Ozark Schlitterbahn.

And maybe some Mountain bike trails. Now that would hit the spot for me.

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2017, 03:39:14 PM »
I didn't remember hearing this during the announcement today, but they are also adding mini-golf and playgrounds?

http://www.ksgf.com/news/local-news/new-owners-hope-to-breathe-life-in-shepherd-of-the-hills

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2017, 03:55:52 PM »
I did hear him say that this would be the last chance to see the play in its current form, but that significant improvements would happen before the '18 season.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2017, 05:38:48 PM »
here is what they have posted on their Facebook page:
We’re excited to announce the re-opening of Shepherd of the Hills and the addition of the all new Homestead Adventure Park! Along with keeping up the traditional play that has been a part of our history for over 50 years, we are introducing a whole new side to the homestead, including an aerial adventure rope course, ATV off road tours, canopy zip lines course, rock climbing up the inspirational tower, petting farm, train rides, tree houses and playgrounds, and much more! Stay tuned for more information in the coming weeks!

they also said at the end of the press conference video that changes to the show would basically be improvements in the theater which needs "a little TLC" and that they don't really anticipate any real changes to the show itself.

They also mentioned the possibility of more zip lines off of the Tower and other possible improvements.

Overall, it sounds a lot like what I had hoped for with the property.  I'd still love to see a resort on the other side of the road as part of it, but don't know if they are looking at that or not.  But so far I like what they are saying, and it sounds like things that can draw people there and to spend much more of the day there.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2017, 08:16:32 PM »
The play won't be the same without Terry Sanders' humor, or his family in the cast.  I only hope was preserving the history AT it's original location.  We'll see what happens...
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2017, 09:05:07 PM »
I think creating a ski resort would be fun for the winter.  That would definitely be a draw since there is nothing like that in the area (that I know of)
SWOOSH

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2017, 01:25:47 PM »
I was encouraged with the announcement yesterday. The existing buildings will get much needed TLC, the theater will get a big revamp for 2018, and the mini golf and playground sound ok. Not sure how ATV trails on the property will work, but you gotta give new stuff a try. I understand a rock climbing wall on the side of the tower is going in, too. I have not heard about their cowboy theater/chuckwagon meal thing, but I am guessing it is gone. Anyway, I wish the two new owners well, and hope the rebranding works for them. Keith Thurman and some other employees will return, but not others, apparently. My fingers are crossed.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2017, 10:39:28 PM »
Here are some pictures and audio clips from the press conference from Hometown Daily News radio:

http://www.hometowndailynews.com/2017/07/13/shepherd-of-the-hills-reopens-under-new-owners-and-name/

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2017, 08:48:56 AM »
The play reopened on July 21st. For the rest of the season it will be performed on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday nights at 8:30 pm.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2017, 07:45:05 AM »
I asked folks on the You might be brom Branson FB site how things went opening night, and got several responses in the positive. One replied it was not quite sold out, but added the players were in fine form. .
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"