Author Topic: Shepherd of the Hills - New Adventure Park  (Read 21184 times)

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Shepherd of the Hills. Not going to Open
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2017, 01:33:24 PM »
Obviously they cant continue to operate it as is considering they werent making money before. But I hope they keep the cabin where it belongs and open for tours, as well as the drama in some form and then improve the area in other ways. Obviously insporation tower isnt going anywhere.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2017, 05:53:17 PM »
I'm hoping that:
  • the cabin and other historic buildings are saved and continued to be used for tours/whatever
  • the tower gets renovated
  • the show goes on
  • they add on to it all with new high-dollar attractions such as some water slides or even some rides like a ferris wheel, mountain coaster, carousel, etc...

I have a feeling from the indications they have given that most of that could happen.

Basically my thinking is that all the place was missing was a little excitement in the way of a couple of rides or something to do during the day other than take a little tour and go up in the tower. It would be a bad idea to build a whole amusement park, but a lot of the individual little attractions that are already spread through Branson would do well combined here with everything else. They also need to rethink how they do tours. The cabin and church should just be open with a person at both instead of having to take the whole tour thing - it felt kind of outdated. The tower has been outdated for twenty years now - the views are still good, but it's dingy glass and you have to lean over all the info panels. They should pull everything back from the windows and make it open - perhaps even open air for part of it.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2017, 06:13:38 PM »
The place been poorly managed for decades.

^I agree about the tours.  They could give more of a "shepherd" experience for people.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2017, 08:32:47 PM »
Honestly I think that SOTH just needs to become a resort.  The views are amazing, but there is no hope in bringing the drama back into relevance.  The Tower has been structurally damaged thanks to the stupid zipline that should have never been added.  I have no idea how much it will take to repair that.  The cabin really should be moved to CofO where we KNOW it would be taken care of.   
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2017, 09:21:48 PM »
Honestly I think that SOTH just needs to become a resort.  The views are amazing, but there is no hope in bringing the drama back into relevance.  The Tower has been structurally damaged thanks to the stupid zipline that should have never been added.  I have no idea how much it will take to repair that.  The cabin really should be moved to CofO where we KNOW it would be taken care of.

Don't know about the tower, but CofO is the last place I'd want to see that cabin moved, and they would be the worst caretaker of the play and book.  They'd be pretty much shut down unless you want to pay some hefty fees.  I don't know anyone that has been involved with the property or play that wants CofO to have any of it- and there's good reasons for that.

There's a lot that could be done with the property- a resort being one option- that could make viable and financially strong- and it can be done with the show and some of the other things still there.  But it's going to take some investment to do it, along with some good management.  So many possibilities on a lot of that land still that can be worked with.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2017, 09:35:57 PM »
Sorry, I'm serious old school...ok, revamp the tower, please keep tours and play...but I think it is such a historical property that as much of the old as can be saved should be saved. Apparently the old campground property across the highway is part of the homestead property, so if it is, revamp the campground and add a lodge and you got your resort, but don't put the resort on the homestead side please. Add some attractions if you need to, but be selective and make it quality, not some cheap stuff. I agree to put some money into the property to freshen it up, but manage wisely, so it will be there for future generations. This property is where tourism as we know it began in Branson.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2017, 09:40:28 PM »
I like your ideas better than anything else I've heard so far, Junior.  I read today that the trail riding next door to SoH is open again. Is that part of them or a separate business?

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2017, 10:37:44 PM »
The trail ride is, I think, someone else. In recent years there was a pony ride thing on that property, which is the exact spot the old Wash Gibbs Museum ran by Chick Allen stood. Not sure if Chick's family still owns the property.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2017, 11:30:42 PM »
I'm also old school, and I think both the tower and the zipline were terrible attempts to add value to the property.

In the '70s-80s, mostly local actors delivered their lines with perfect clarity, and it was a beautiful dramatic production with the occasional light-hearted moment. By the late '90s, the dialogue was so "hillbilly'd-up" that it was incomprehensible, and the comedic skits were so overdone that the story was lost. No slight to our favorite local long-time comedic actor, but the production really didn't need any over-the-top comedy.

Were I king, I would cut down the zip lines and dynamite the tower, and take the entire thing back to what it originally was: a reasonable dramatization of Harold Bell Wright's story, on the grounds where it took place.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2017, 11:56:28 PM »
I'm also old school, and I think both the tower and the zipline were terrible attempts to add value to the property.

In the '70s-80s, mostly local actors delivered their lines with perfect clarity, and it was a beautiful dramatic production with the occasional light-hearted moment. By the late '90s, the dialogue was so "hillbilly'd-up" that it was incomprehensible, and the comedic skits were so overdone that the story was lost. No slight to our favorite local long-time comedic actor, but the production really didn't need any over-the-top comedy.

Were I king, I would cut down the zip lines and dynamite the tower, and take the entire thing back to what it originally was: a reasonable dramatization of Harold Bell Wright's story, on the grounds where it took place.

That tower was a nightly joke at Echo Hollow when it was built.  It was unsightly.  Out of place.  Honestly, it had nothing to do with the Wright history.  I've been in the thing, but at best it is just an elevator without a building.

I remember when SotH tried to become a one-price entity, where you had to buy a ticket to everything.  They tried to include live entertainment and games for the cost, but it was like they couldn't tap into their creative juices.  Let's face it, actual frog races and Clydesdales were quaint and something that no one else in town offered, but they weren't the key to raising revenue.  With some creativity, SotH could draw on its roots and still be innovative and unique enough to draw crowds.  I'd love to offer my services as a creative consultant, and I'd recruit some of you to be on my team.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2017, 06:28:33 AM »
Sorry, I'm serious old school...ok, revamp the tower, please keep tours and play...but I think it is such a historical property that as much of the old as can be saved should be saved. Apparently the old campground property across the highway is part of the homestead property, so if it is, revamp the campground and add a lodge and you got your resort, but don't put the resort on the homestead side please. Add some attractions if you need to, but be selective and make it quality, not some cheap stuff. I agree to put some money into the property to freshen it up, but manage wisely, so it will be there for future generations. This property is where tourism as we know it began in Branson.
Agreed. That cabin needs to stay where it is, where it belongs. National historic landmark.
And I agree with the other idea...you should be able to go in without having to do a tram tour.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2017, 09:48:51 AM »

yep, this is pretty much exactly how I feel.  You can revamp, invest and improve without damaging the history or integrity of the homestead.  And it needs to stay at the homestead.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2017, 01:09:13 PM »
As much as I would like to see everything stay as is , how would doing the same thing that did not work before be expected to work now ? The play will probably not survive in its present form. The same with the homestead tours. It is going to take serious outside the box thinking to bring SOTH hills back to profitability with the changing demographics. Hopefully the new investors pockets are deep as they figure out the correct formula to make it profitable.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2017, 01:24:47 PM »
Not doing things the same way.

In fact, I doubt most next-gen people just drive by and don't even know what the place is.  When they see "Shepherd of the Hills", I'm pretty sure they don't even get curious.  When the emphasis is on a lookout tower and ziplining, they figure they've seen it all (I never could see anything from the tower that I couldn't see from the side of many roads in the area anyway.).  When they see "Old Matt's Cabin", they figure it's just another old cabin.  Big deal.

And did they think an expensive shootout arcade game was going to draw customers in?  Did they even promote the thing after they had it built?  Did they really think a team of Clydesdales were going to bring in carloads of families en route to themed roller coasters and attractions?  Mutton Hollow made some of the same mistakes - on a property that was just waiting to be a destination and not just a side trip.

For decades, the owners allowed this place to fade into obscurity, so no, they must not keep repeating that kind of stupidity, but someone could breathe new life into this rich property.  I doubt the new owners will consider the past operations at all, and I doubt they will continue the drama, but it will be nice if they respectfully deal with the history and the homestead.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2017, 03:51:41 PM »
Not doing things the same way.

In fact, I doubt most next-gen people just drive by and don't even know what the place is.  When they see "Shepherd of the Hills", I'm pretty sure they don't even get curious.  When the emphasis is on a lookout tower and ziplining, they figure they've seen it all (I never could see anything from the tower that I couldn't see from the side of many roads in the area anyway.).  When they see "Old Matt's Cabin", they figure it's just another old cabin.  Big deal.

Couldnt agree more,  right now, unfortunately, SOTH is a wide spot in the road between Branson and SDC, and nothing more. ::)