Author Topic: Shepherd of the Hills - New Adventure Park  (Read 21388 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Shepherd of the Hills - New Adventure Park
« on: May 06, 2017, 06:31:03 PM »
I have talked to people in Branson, and Have seen it on FB.

Its official, SOTH will NOT be opening this season..  In fact the man in charge will hand over the keys to the bank sometime this month.

That is a real loss..
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:37:10 AM by shavethewhales »

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Shepherd of the Hills. Not going to Open
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 08:14:44 AM »
The whole place, or just the show? Please tell me the park and Old Matts is still open?
Either way this is a terrible thing to happen.  :'(
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 09:10:58 AM »
It was listed as Shepherd of the Hills Play and Homestead in foreclosure.  I assume it's the whole thing.  Devastating news about such an historical icon in this area.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 09:16:04 AM »
Im stunned. Absolutely cannot believe it.
History is why I fell in love with SDC and the Branson area. The memories are sadly becoming permanent instead of recurring.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 09:36:36 AM »
Im stunned. Absolutely cannot believe it.
History is why I fell in love with SDC and the Branson area. The memories are sadly becoming permanent instead of recurring.

Yes, it is sad.  I'm so glad went to the last showing last year.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 10:56:12 AM »
The whole place, or just the show? Please tell me the park and Old Matts is still open?

Indication is the whole place will be shut down. :-\

So I have to ask, What about the Inspiration tower and Zip Line.. it is part of the "property".. ???

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 01:44:04 PM »

Indication is the whole place will be shut down. :-\

So I have to ask, What about the Inspiration tower and Zip Line.. it is part of the "property".. ???

It was the last time I was there. That was 2 years ago.
The last time I saw the show it was the year after they almost shut down before. Attendance was very light for the middle of the summer. Hopefully someone with deep pockets can come in and revitalize the place. It would take a lot of marketing and refurbishing in this day and age to make it relevant again.

Also, wasn't there a new shooting gallery opened on the property last year ? I seem to remember some discussion about that.

jshhmr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 02:10:27 PM »
That's really sad. I was at the Tower last week which seemed to be getting steady business. Was hoping to watch the show on my next visit.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 09:28:01 AM »
Terry Sanders has a copy of the letter they were sent on his Facebook page.  Several expensive issues came up, then the bank decided it wasn't going to give it's customary loan and decided to foreclose instead.  It's the whole entire property, including the tower, zipline, and everything.

They said they tried to find a buyer but weren't able to.  Such a terrible loss.  Hopefully the bank finds someone who will revive it
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 11:18:24 AM »
Terry Sanders has a copy of the letter they were sent on his Facebook page.  Several expensive issues came up, then the bank decided it wasn't going to give it's customary loan and decided to foreclose instead.  It's the whole entire property, including the tower, zipline, and everything.

They said they tried to find a buyer but weren't able to.  Such a terrible loss.  Hopefully the bank finds someone who will revive it

i saw that, sounds like a run of bad luck, but unfortunately, thats part of doing business, as well as I would have thought insuranace would cover part of those  unexpected costs..

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 02:13:13 PM »
Tremendous loss. A major, major piece of the "true" Branson experience is being lost here. I keep hoping for better news, but it sounds like the foreclosure is for real this time. There's always hope that a new millionare will swoop in and save the place, but I think it is more likely that the tower will sell and the rest of it will get chopped up.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 06:32:32 PM »
Sure could make a good place to put a resort.  A real big one if you wanted, plenty of space to expand.  Much level land in there for a water park?

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 09:48:23 PM »
I read a few news articles that stated there were a couple prospective buyers - one is interested in continuing the show and the other just wants the land. It was also mentioned on Facebook that Herschends have no interest in the property (not a reliable source imo), but I wish they would! I got married standing in front of the statues (many years ago). Hubs always talked of acquiring one of the statues if they ever closed. (I'll have to keep an eye on him to make sure one doesn't magically appear in the driveway) ;D

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 12:09:00 AM »
To be honest, I'm not all that sad about the show itself leaving, as I've not been impressed with it ever since I read the book. But I'd love to see the homestead and all the other stuff survive.

I like mhguy's idea of building a resort there; keep what's there and just add on. Maybe make it a cabin-based resort?

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 07:29:18 AM »
keep what's there and just add on. Maybe make it a cabin-based resort?
It seems like you could keep all that is historical and if SDC got the rights to SOTH they could work it in with their
"lore" and profit from it.  I am not sure if they could make a go of the show or maybe it has seen better days.  Last year we zipped from the tower and if they own that land they sure own a good chunk.  They could incorporate the old with the new and really turn out a nice place.  I hate to see it go but I would rather SDC gets it and it doesn't turn  into stonebridge phase 2 with a big gate.