Author Topic: Rare opportunity at the FM  (Read 2125 times)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Rare opportunity at the FM
« on: April 23, 2017, 06:20:17 PM »
So I was looking at the weather for this weekend and it appeared it would be rainy, cold, and miserable at SDC for Saturday so we decided to take a spur of the moment trip up there.  Arrived right at opening time and as we were pulling into the parking lot we see nearly a dozen huge tour buses, school buses etc in the bus parking lot.  Crap, it appears a ton of schools are doing year end trips. I was figuring it would be dead Saturday.  Load on the tram, pull up to the front and there were 2 more huge tour buses unloading a herd of kids.  We get inside and see lots of groups of kids with matching shirts.  We noticed a group from on particular expensive private school in Tulsa that all of their kids, and there were a bunch, all had trail blazer passes.  I am thinking this is going to be a nightmare.  We rode a few rides but decided this trip would be more about the shows, so we were able to get into the Saloon show, the harp show, the balance show, and the flamenco show.  All were great especially the harp and flamenco.  Despite all the bus loads of kids, the park was pretty empty.  In fact after the initial arrival we did not run into that many kids.  I think we did our rides early before they all got down the hill, then we hit the shows which kids typically do not do.

Ok so anyway, down to the point of this post.  We were getting ready to leave and decided to hit the FM.  We ended up getting a couple of rides thru totally alone, so we just sat back and enjoyed the scenery without all the guns shooting. I mean totally alone, the set of boats in front of us was empty too.  It was nice and not something I have been able to do for year. 

We went back today because the wife wanted to see the flamengo show again.  There were a few more buses of kids, but by the time we left about 12:30 it was packed.  We were going to eat lunch at the park and stay a little longer but the lines for the food places were more than I wanted to deal with.  I am afraid it is going to be packed even on days when normally it would be slow.  Going on rainy cold days seems to be the best!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Rare opportunity at the FM
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 08:10:49 PM »
Saturday was actually competition day for school choirs.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 10:03:17 PM »
Nice!  :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 07:35:05 AM »
FM does look great this year, the ride received some much needed lovin over the winter ;D