Author Topic: How SDC can modernize the "dark ride" experience.  (Read 3883 times)

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
How SDC can modernize the "dark ride" experience.
« on: April 23, 2017, 03:02:53 AM »
Check out this review and ride thru video on Mystic Timbers at Kings Island. That last bit as you enter the station is really impressive with the theming and effects. Its basically a full coaster experience married with a dark ride experience at the end. Imagine what SDC could do with something like this. If we are fortunate, maybe the 2018 coaster will incorporate this type of feature to whatever theme they have chosen for the ride.

Skip to 3:15 for the ride thru POV or to 5:02 for the well themed end sequence to see "what's in the shed".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6uxmkmq5eY
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 03:12:41 AM by sdcfan88 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: How SDC can modernize the "dark ride" experience.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 10:16:07 AM »
Check out this review and ride thru video on Mystic Timbers at Kings Island. That last bit as you enter the station is really impressive with the theming and effects. Its basically a full coaster experience married with a dark ride experience at the end. Imagine what SDC could do with something like this. If we are fortunate, maybe the 2018 coaster will incorporate this type of feature to whatever theme they have chosen for the ride.

Skip to 3:15 for the ride thru POV or to 5:02 for the well themed end sequence to see "what's in the shed".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6uxmkmq5eY

You're kidding, right?   The ending of Mystic Timbers is extremely lame and honestly even exceeds the "are you freaking kidding me" that is Adventure Express.  This is not the direction I want SDC to go.  I honestly think SDC is better than this. 
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 12:04:22 PM »
This is not the direction I want SDC to go.  I honestly think SDC is better than this.
Agreed, this is like a cheap afterthought.  The execution was sloppy.  I do think that they can mix a coaster and a dark ride, It has been done elsewhere but will take a little more effort than this.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 12:44:24 PM »
Omg. For all the hype, this is definitely a letdown. Like, there are POVs on YT that are cutting off the end to keep up the whole "What's in the shed?" mystery but... yeah. Not that great for that much hype.

This kid's reaction to the shed at the end is a good summary of how disappointing this seems to be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHbDdYQw1hk

Now, I'll give them credit where it's due - the coaster itself looks fun, and the train cars have excellent theming. It's just that hype buildup for a screen-heavy brake run.... Yeah, I dunno.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 12:56:09 PM »
It's just that hype buildup for a screen-heavy brake run.... Yeah, I dunno.

The screens are what has killed my desire to go to Universal.  I think you need the physical theming even if its on a budget the physical gags are much more entertaining.  After all, you don't walk away from a screen based ride and say "Wow how did they do that" cause you know you just watched a movie.  Now the Shanghai POTC ride is a great mix and I would enjoy riding that.   Overall the screen thing is being overused because it's cheap and allows any effect that is visual.  It doesn't, however, fool anyone, even children.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 02:58:24 PM »
Obviously I wasn't implying that exact setup but how yes, SDC could take the modern tech available used for this example and do so much more with it as was previously discussed in another thread about how they could update the current dark rides by adding new interactive elements and effects to complement the existing ones. I meant to include that in my original post but I made that post at 3am and I needed to sleep. lol

The other point of my post is to simply comment that it is nice to see that dark ride elements are still relevant in the amusement industry, even if its mediocre in its execution.

Original thread: http://www.sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=3028.0
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 07:17:39 PM by sdcfan88 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 05:49:20 PM »
It's just that hype buildup for a screen-heavy brake run.... Yeah, I dunno.

The screens are what has killed my desire to go to Universal.  I think you need the physical theming even if its on a budget the physical gags are much more entertaining.  After all, you don't walk away from a screen based ride and say "Wow how did they do that" cause you know you just watched a movie.  Now the Shanghai POTC ride is a great mix and I would enjoy riding that.   Overall the screen thing is being overused because it's cheap and allows any effect that is visual.  It doesn't, however, fool anyone, even children.

While I do agree that Universal is getting a little to reliant on screens, I feel that they did a great job with the Harry Potter rides.  I feel that Transformers is way too reliant - but I don't exactly like that IP anyway so not a big loss.  Jimmy Fallon, Simpsons, Minion Mayhem, Shrek 4D and T2:3D don't shy away from the fact that you are watching a movie.  Spider-man is pretty good mix of both.  Honestly I think that they have a good mixture at the park.

SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 07:32:28 PM »
I will say in comparison to the original post, the experience on Baron 1898 was better implemented with the projector effects and animatronics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_43hWuVkQ

This one in particular makes me think this could also be why the 2018 coaster station is so large, they might include pre-ride show elements as well. Especially if they do go with the time traveling tourist trap theme to create time travel effects and have a working animatronic of the scammer/scientist.

I know Hershend still has the touch they were known for with well themed dark rides, just look at Mystery Mine at Dollywood. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89flDfgcQr8
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 08:03:09 PM by sdcfan88 »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 07:33:37 PM »

You're kidding, right?   The ending of Mystic Timbers is extremely lame and honestly even exceeds the "are you freaking kidding me" that is Adventure Express.  This is not the direction I want SDC to go.  I honestly think SDC is better than this.

You....    Are...   Doooooommmmeedd!!!!!

Or at least your expectations of something decent are.  lol
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 01:35:04 PM »
sdcfan88: Those are definitely much better examples of what SDC could do with technology. Ever since Baron 1898 was announced, I've been itching to see SDC implement a similar ride because WOW it is awesome!

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 02:48:15 PM »
Efteling and Phantasialandland are upping the game on theme park theming out of the Universals and Disney's and Europa.

Those two are circled on the must do list  while in Europe as well as Puy du Fou, which is also building a park in Toledo Spain.