Author Topic: Tiger Woods and Johnny Morris teaming up for new golf course  (Read 4187 times)

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Tiger Woods and Johnny Morris teaming up for new golf course
« on: April 18, 2017, 11:37:37 AM »
Tiger Woods is going to design a golf course and Johnny Morris is going to build it next to the Buffalo Ridge golf course. More details from KY3:

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/WATCH-LIVE-Bass-Pro-to-419724023.html

This course will be open to the public.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Tiger Woods and Johnny Morris teaming up for new golf course
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 09:17:23 PM »
Huh, well SDC is so excited about it even they are promoting it on FB, so this must be considered a big deal. I don't really get it though, in one of the articles they are talking about how they are hedging on people coming into Branson to play golf - they have built well beyond what the local population will support. Isn't golf dying out? I know Branson runs a little behind the rest of the country on these things, but I think in ten years there will be half the regular players there are now.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 11:48:43 PM »
Golf is struggling...the current touristy golf towns are struggling and many local clubs around the country are in trouble too.  Most reports about golf is that it's rapidly losing players and viewers ever since Tiger's issues killed his career.  The sports older players are literally dying off and the younger Tiger inspired players seemed to lose interest and stopped playing when he did. 

Not to say that this will not work in Branson....it has a small reputation already in the golf community that will help...Tiger designed course will draw people in no matter where it is put. 

Tigers dirty laundry though doesn't exactly fit the Branson's clean image....Not sure that is that important or not....especially if it's just a place that is "designed" by him vs him actually hanging out around town beyond some type of grand opening.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 08:04:28 AM »
The sports older players are literally dying off and the younger Tiger inspired players seemed to lose interest and stopped playing when he did. 
I was involved with golf in a business sense.  Golf is also failing because the younger generation can not afford to play it.  Check out what greens fees and cart rental and clubs run for one-half days play. It makes a trip to Disney world look affordable at a per person price.  They have shut out a large portion of the population and everyone is watching their pennies in today's world.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 08:29:09 AM »
Using his name to make sales.. its an old game..    his past wont make any difference to the crowd they are aiming for.. 
Not worried about local perception...

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 10:10:41 AM »
I was involved with golf in a business sense.  Golf is also failing because the younger generation can not afford to play it.  Check out what greens fees and cart rental and clubs run for one-half days play. It makes a trip to Disney world look affordable at a per person price.  They have shut out a large portion of the population and everyone is watching their pennies in today's world.

that has a huge amount to do with it.  It's why I've never played a round of "real" golf in my life- no way I can justify the amount of money I would spend on it, let alone to attempt to learn how to actually play it for real.  I know a good number of people college to middle age that wouldn't mind trying it out, might be interested, but aren't going to spend the large amounts of money it takes just to start let alone continue to play.  Not exactly something you do on a lark.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 11:45:54 AM »
I was at top of the rock 2 or 3 years ago...
couple of guys paying their fees, -
it was 128.00!! 
18 holes,
i dont know if that was each or for the pair...
but wow! :o :o

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 11:57:54 AM »
I was at top of the rock 2 or 3 years ago...
couple of guys paying their fees, -
it was 128.00!! 
18 holes,
i dont know if that was each or for the pair...
but wow! :o :o

Probably each.  It's pretty expensive around COMO too. 
SWOOSH

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 12:40:24 PM »
Hubs and I don't golf, but our son does, as did my in-laws.  We were just talking about this, and Hubs pointed out that his parents played a couple times per week and walked the course with golf bags.  Our son did the same even when playing on the high school golf team.  We are Pt. Royale now, and I think it's required that you rent a cart to play.  I don't think you have the option of walking to play.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 12:58:58 PM »

that has a huge amount to do with it.  It's why I've never played a round of "real" golf in my life- no way I can justify the amount of money I would spend on it, let alone to attempt to learn how to actually play it for real.  I know a good number of people college to middle age that wouldn't mind trying it out, might be interested, but aren't going to spend the large amounts of money it takes just to start let alone continue to play.  Not exactly something you do on a lark.

Exactly!!!!  I went through I time when I tried to learn golf.  He a buddy who lived at one of the apartment complexes around here with the 9-hole courses (played for free) - so we went out and tried to teach ourselves.  Then had a pro/am guy we worked with from Bella Vista take us out a couple of times (with a first timer guest discount because of his membership).

I was terrible at it but still had a decent time playing....but when they started wanting to play more and the non-discounted fees started to kick in....I (with family of 5) could not afford to pay theme park ticket price every week to go hang for 2-4 hours chasing a ball around trying to get better. 

Maybe one day I'll get the room in the budget and schedule to pick the clubs up and try again. 
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

JJH

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 03:47:36 PM »
I think this is excellent for the area.  As for its success I'm pretty sure that the short term will be fine (10 yr).  The longer term is when the issue of the younger generation will come into play.  Golf courses are incredibly labor and materials expensive to maintain.  As for what is affordable, well that is very subjective.  I live in Columbia MO.  To play a Saturday at the municipal or university course it is $25 for 18 w/o cart.  Eagle Knoll is a private owned but available to the public at about $45 for 18 with cart.  Like anything else discounts abound.  All of these courses are nice, but they do not have the full country club/ resort facilities.  We do have some very nice private clubs, the courses are nice, the people are nice, the pool is nice, the bar is nice, the clubhouse is nice and the price is "if you have to ask..."  I guess if I liked golf I could justify $25 week for my hobby. I couldn't justify country club dues and country club fees every week. 

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 08:11:45 AM »
Golf courses were over built in the late 90's like indoor shopping malls. And just like those, the right concept in the right place will still work. The problem with golf is that it's a pain to lug those clubs around on trips, especially when flying. My brother used to take his when they went to Longboat for their two weeks every summer. They always drove because it cost an arm and leg during the Delta hub days at Memphis but these days Southwest flies to Tampa for usually under 200 bucks round trip from MEM. Now the clubs stay home and most golf days are now fishing days. That's actually more expensive.

I keep waiting for Mr. Bass Pro to start his own commuter airline out of BKG and offer  packages that includes flights.