Author Topic: Your Travels outside of Branson for 2018 and beeeeeeyonddddd......  (Read 30223 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Let's here them. Where are you going and what are going to do?

My last reservation was made for our Summer Odyssey last night

7 days in DC to start things off. My Brother and his family will do the days in DC with us. We got a Congressional tour booked and our White House tour requests in. Our Mt. Vernon Cruise booked and so on.

After DC, they head home and we drive to Lewes, stopping at Six Flags America for a quick coaster credit visit (free with out Gold Passes)taking in Annapolis along the way, visit Dogfish Head Brewery and take the ferry across to Wildwood where we'll spend two nights at the Starlux  at Morey's Pier. After a night and full day at Wildwood, we take the earliest Ferry to cross back over and head to Norfolk/Virginia Beach, we may stop along the way at Ocean City or Assateague National Seashore for a cursory glance and not doing them justice as we head for Nauticus in Norfork and a cruise of the Naval Yard for that afternoon. That evening will be spent at Virginia Beach.

We get up the next morning and head to Newport News after I visit the Waterfowling museum along the boardwalk in VB. We'll hit up Mariner's Museum and visit the remains of the USS Monitor. We'll eat lunch and then head to Yorktown for the Battlefield and the Museum for the remained of the afternoon. We'll end it by getting to our accommodations in Williamsburg for the next 4 nights. One day will be spent at Busch Gardens, another at Colonial Williamsburg in the Morning with a Water Country USA visit in the afternoon before returning to Colonial Williamsburg to see it in the evening for supper. One day I'll be fleshing out all there is at Jamestowne.

After Williamsburg we head out for Richmond early. There, we'll stop at the White House of the Confederacy and Museum and then Tredegar Iron Works. Once do with those and some lunch we'll head to Appomattox Courthouse and visit the surrender site and museum there. We'll end the day at Lynchburg VA. Next morning g we head to Monticello and spend 3 hours, I'm thinking I might splurge for the private tour to maximize our time. We'll then head to Gettysburg with a quick stop at Harpers Ferry and finish the afternoon and late afternoon there. Then we'll head to Hershey and the kids an I will hit the Preview Night at Hershey Park before spending the next day there. The wifewill take in some Spa stuff and/or visit some Amish Country stuff while the Kids and I play the day away. The next morning we're off to Valley Forge and then Philly for three days and 2 nights where we'll spend a late aternoon at Six flags Great America and I get to compare El Toro with Outlaw Run. 8). The last day of the trip will be spent in Baltimore with a stop at Harve de Grace Decoy Museum before a late flight back to Memphis.

Whew, about two1/2 weeks, ambitious for sure but in a way I'm building upon last year's trip and testing out our limits to get feel for how long I can plan for Europe in 2018 or 2019. I get a feeling I'll wear out our companion passes for Southwest in 2018 doing lots of three and four day getaways.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:07:28 PM by chittlins »

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Your Travels outside of Branson for 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 04:39:00 PM »
Our trip is over!  Spent 9 days in Maui snorkeling and scuba diving (son).  We went up to Haleakala Crater before sunrise for the view, snorkeled Molokini with Maui Snorkel Charters, took a helicopter tour of W. Maui and Molokai, attended a luau on the beach, drove through the lava fields...spent the rest of the time at the beach, snorkeling various locations, pool time, beach time, watching whales, etc.  It was beyond awesome!

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 05:14:40 PM »
This will be a off year for SDC for our family.  Saving up our vacation dollars for a different trip.  We talked about doing the Disney thing (again) but they kids wanted a different adventure (as did I).

I just booked a cruise for the family for October.  Got a great deal on a family suite.  Sailing out of Galveston and touring the western Caribbean for 7 days.  Wife and I took non-kids getaway cruise last year and thought they would love it.  Thinking about taking a day for Six Flags Dallas on the drive down and/or the Galveston pier.

Also planning a get away with the wife this summer.  Probably NYC to catch a broadway show she wants to see.  I've go a airline voucher and miles that will probably make that trip pretty affordable.

Plus I still have some work trips in pending for this year.  I'll probably be going to FL (just north of Tampa/Busch Gardens), Allentown (dorney and maybe SFGA), South Carolina (Carawinds) this year.  Hoping and praying I can carve out a 1/2 day during one of these visit to get some coasters in.  I literally drive by Dorney and Busch Gardens multiple times last year without having any time to go.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 09:07:37 PM »
All of the above trips sound great!  Hubs and I are hoping to visit our son in D.C. a couple times this year, also. He wants to drive to tour Civil War battlefields; while, I don't mind that all, I'd rather fly to get there quicker!

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 01:11:56 AM »
Tony and I will bruising out of mobile on November 4th.  We will see ruins in Merida and have a beach day in Cozumel.  Other than that, sdc, white water, and Wisconsin like always!  Late 2018 or early 2019 will see us visiting Costa Rica so we are saving for that.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 04:17:18 AM »
We will be going to Colorado to ride quads in the mountains, for vacation, around September or October for a week.

We also usually make a weekend trip to Belleville Kansas in August. They have their annual Free Fair. Consists of a lot of farming - 4H happenings going on. Fair type atmosphere, & of course 4 cyl midget sprint car racing Saturday night on a big ole egg shaped dirt racetrack.
Live life like it's the last day!

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 08:56:03 AM »
This will be a off year for SDC for our family.  Saving up our vacation dollars for a different trip.  We talked about doing the Disney thing (again) but they kids wanted a different adventure (as did I).

I just booked a cruise for the family for October.  Got a great deal on a family suite.  Sailing out of Galveston and touring the western Caribbean for 7 days.  Wife and I took non-kids getaway cruise last year and thought they would love it.  Thinking about taking a day for Six Flags Dallas on the drive down and/or the Galveston pier.

Also planning a get away with the wife this summer.  Probably NYC to catch a broadway show she wants to see.  I've go a airline voucher and miles that will probably make that trip pretty affordable.

Plus I still have some work trips in pending for this year.  I'll probably be going to FL (just north of Tampa/Busch Gardens), Allentown (dorney and maybe SFGA), South Carolina (Carawinds) this year.  Hoping and praying I can carve out a 1/2 day during one of these visit to get some coasters in.  I literally drive by Dorney and Busch Gardens multiple times last year without having any time to go.

Disney, Royal Carribean or Carnival?

Carnival is moving it's new ship to Galveston from Miami this fall, making Galveston a great place to cruise from if you have kids as the RC ship has quite the waterslides at sea as well.

If you are on the newer Carnival boat please give us a review.

All of the above trips sound great!  Hubs and I are hoping to visit our son in D.C. a couple times this year, also. He wants to drive to tour Civil War battlefields; while, I don't mind that all, I'd rather fly to get there quicker!

I wished I could have keep a trip that was correct cronologically but it wasn't in the cards. Out flight is at 6:30am to BWI via Southwest , so we'll(barring delays)be getting out of the airport and 10:30ish. Our first stop is Ft. McHenry, then we'llnhit Geppi's Entertainment Museum, eat lunch at the Inner Harbor and hit the Flag House. Then we'll make tracks south to Manasses and hit the Air and Space museum at Dulles before heading to the hotel. A jam packed first day for sure but we should be at the hotel by 8:30pm.

I'm still trying to fit an Antietam visit in. That would cover Manassas, Antietam, Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry, Richmond and Appomattox as major Civil War spots on this trip as well as seeing the remains of the Monitor.

I'm a big CW buff and this has me giddy. I've always wanted to see a Mack Water battle ride themed to iron clads.
We will be going to Colorado to ride quads in the mountains, for vacation, around September or October for a week.

We also usually make a weekend trip to Belleville Kansas in August. They have their annual Free Fair. Consists of a lot of farming - 4H happenings going on. Fair type atmosphere, & of course 4 cyl midget sprint car racing Saturday night on a big ole egg shaped dirt racetrack.

Got Yellowstone penciled in for next summer and it'll have a rafting day.
Tony and I will bruising out of mobile on November 4th.  We will see ruins in Merida and have a beach day in Cozumel.  Other than that, sdc, white water, and Wisconsin like always!  Late 2018 or early 2019 will see us visiting Costa Rica so we are saving for that.

We have pushed my big planned Euro trip to 2019. We'll stay domestic in 2020 and 2021 it's either South America or Asia. I have a coworker for Peru originally from Arequipa. He worked as a tour guide back in his University days down there and we have worked quite the little Machu Picchu, Lake Titticaca, Iguazu Falls, Galapagos Islands itenerary up using folks he knows for the most part and the wife seems to favor this over Asia.  But...I'm going to Asia within 6 years.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 11:32:25 AM »
We're heading to KC for a couple of days at Worlds of Fun and Oceans of Fun.  Haven't been there before so it'll be new to us.

We have hopes of going to California and Disneyland at the end of July/ first part of August, but we'll see if it happens or not.  A lot of it is going to be dependent on how much side income we can earn before then, and if it will be enough to cover the costs of the trip.  If we can't make that, then we'll go somewhere else that won't cost as much.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 02:09:53 PM »
Thinking about returning to Moscow. Was there in 2013 and did not get out of the city much. I returned to Europe last year but skipped Russia. So the thought is Moscow, then on to St Petersburg. Then on to the Czech Republic and Poland. I do not plan ahead to much and like to impulse travel. I find it is to stressful to have a tight schedule to keep. It is way more fun to just be impulsive. But, I am also thinking about a trip to Norway and Finland and Sweden this winter to see the northern lights. That has always been on the bucket list.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 02:46:58 PM »
I will make several trips to Denver this summer, I go and out Road bikes with my buddy. We ride in the foothills and Mountain passes..   always looking for a new place to stop for a beverage..

tried to add a pic, but it wont upload.. "too large"?  LOL.  i dont know how to resize..

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 03:38:21 PM »

We are taking RC - Liberty:  Same ship we took last year with some new ports to explore.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 01:25:36 PM »
Just got back from a trip to the DFW area. Went to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in FW (free tour of 1 of the 2 places in the US where money is printed). Also went to the Bush Presidential Center at SMU and spent 4 hours there. Had the special exhibit of the Wounded Warrior paintings. If you go, make sure you download the app for the free audio tours and other info.

Went down to Sundance Square in FW and toured the Sid Richardson Museum of Western Art (also free). We visited the Stockyards area on a previous trip so didn't repeat that. Some of the museums we wanted to visit were closed on Monday so we will catch those on another trip.

Lesson learned -- will not go back for a visit during spring break.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 08:58:13 PM »
Our 2017 Travels:

01.01 - Legoland Florida
01.01 - Boggy Creek Airboat Ride
01.01 - Coca Cola Orlando Eye
01.01 - Ripley's Odditorium Orlando
01.02 - Kennedy Space Center
01.02 - Fun Spot America - Orlando
02.11 - St. Louis Zoo
03.19 - Silver Dollar City's Spring Ride Days
03.26 - Six Flags St. Louis
03.28 - Kemah Boardwalk
03.28 - Galveston Island Pleasure Pier
03.29 - Space Center Houston
03.30 - Sea World San Antonio
03.31 - Six Flags Fiesta Texas
04.01 - Six Flags over Texas
04.09 - Silver Dollar City's Festival of Wonder
04.13 - Worlds of Fun's Media Preview Event
04.14 - Worlds of Fun Opening Day
04.22 - Six Flags St. Louis
05.13 - Worlds of Fun's Festival of Music
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 07:17:39 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 10:09:46 PM »
I'm still trying to figure things out this year, but I'm going to try to make it out to Pennsylvania for the legendary Knoebel's Grove and Hersheypark. I will also do road trips to Adventureland in Iowa, Worlds of Fun, and the two Texas panhandle parks for the ACE event in June. Plus SFOT for the Lone Star Coasterthon.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 10:17:17 AM »
I'm still trying to figure things out this year, but I'm going to try to make it out to Pennsylvania for the legendary Knoebel's Grove and Hersheypark. I will also do road trips to Adventureland in Iowa, Worlds of Fun, and the two Texas panhandle parks for the ACE event in June. Plus SFOT for the Lone Star Coasterthon.

I so wanted to include Knoebels, but it'll have to wait. We'll skip over King' Dominion as well.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:25:44 AM by chittlins »