Author Topic: 2017 Trip Reports  (Read 44858 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Trip Reports
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2017, 01:43:42 PM »
@ Diana--sounds like a good visit.!  glad it all went well

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2017, 03:10:54 PM »
Hubs and I went yesterday and had a great time in spite of it being pretty crowded.  There's a new blacksmith, Roger Perry, and he wears a red shirt.  ;D  Nice, friendly guy! The saloon show was fun - I hadn't been to it in a very, long time, but most of the other shows weren't going on, so we decided to give it a try! I'm glad we did!  Train was down for a long time - not sure why.  We had tickets to Dessert on the Porch, and that was a real treat. Hubs loved his dessert and drink, lemon bundt cake with blueberries and amaretto glaze.  I'll make a separate post on mine to help others out, but in short, I have celiac and couldn't eat it, but was served a cheese/gluten free cracker plate with fresh fruit. Read my other post for details because the staff went over the top to help me out, and I was so impressed with them.  I didn't expect much from the Echo Hollow show, but Hubs and I both thought it was very enjoyable.  The fireworks from the Culinary Porch were spectacular!  We got in on the end of the Street Dance.  I wish we could've made it back to Main Street quicker after fireworks to see more of it. It was crowded and most everyone seemed to be having a lot of fun.  My only critique would have to timing.  It was hard to see Echo Hollow, fireworks, and the Street Party in one night because they overlapped.  We had a great time!

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2017, 10:24:53 PM »
You could have just changed clothes in the changing room at White Water, instead of in the motel room. Ohana Falls always has the longest, slowest line. Kalani Towers is the 2nd slowest, longest line. All other lines either move fast or never have a line that is long. The Wave Pool is only at half power because it is safe that way, says a lifeguard.

I'm not a first timer at white water as I have been going there for over 20 years.  I am well aware that they have changing rooms but have you ever tried to change 3 kids in those rooms where there aren't any available dressing rooms?  I'm going to pass on that experience every time if I can.  I talked to one of the lifeguards after it started and stopped after one minutes 3 cycles in a row.  He says that this is a common issue and that they aren't able to get it to work properly at this time.  When trying to ride Saturday, the lines were quite long at all but one ride.  See, the lines fluctuate from day to day and it was a gorgeous night to be riding.  We often waited just for tubes for 10 minutes. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2017, 10:51:34 PM »
You could have just changed clothes in the changing room at White Water, instead of in the motel room. Ohana Falls always has the longest, slowest line. Kalani Towers is the 2nd slowest, longest line. All other lines either move fast or never have a line that is long. The Wave Pool is only at half power because it is safe that way, says a lifeguard.

I'm not a first timer at white water as I have been going there for over 20 years.  I am well aware that they have changing rooms but have you ever tried to change 3 kids in those rooms where there aren't any available dressing rooms?  I'm going to pass on that experience every time if I can.  I talked to one of the lifeguards after it started and stopped after one minutes 3 cycles in a row.  He says that this is a common issue and that they aren't able to get it to work properly at this time.  When trying to ride Saturday, the lines were quite long at all but one ride.  See, the lines fluctuate from day to day and it was a gorgeous night to be riding.  We often waited just for tubes for 10 minutes.

No he hasn't.  Forgive LaRoy/DeWayne he means well when he gives advice and doesn't mean to come off as an ass.  He honestly cannot help it.  I'll give him props he has calmed down from his earlier posting days but ever so often he will have a flare up.  Again forgive him. He's trying. 
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 01, 2017, 09:31:43 AM »
No he hasn't.  Forgive LaRoy/DeWayne he means well when he gives advice and doesn't mean to come off as an ass.  He honestly cannot help it.  I'll give him props he has calmed down from his earlier posting days but ever so often he will have a flare up.  Again forgive him. He's trying.
We all have different means of communicating and sometimes the verbal to the written doesn't always translate emotions effectively.  We are all a little different but there is room for everybody.  I think intentions are good on all ends.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2017, 03:15:33 PM »
Took the seven-year-old to the city, yesterday, for a little treat.

Some "kid" in the tram line at Stop 3 told his family that there are no rides at EPCOT.  The way they bring in families, apparently is "unique character experiences"

People were returning to their cars to get jackets.  75 degrees is unbearably cold.

Walked on to  AP to start.  Just two of us at the back of the log.  Drenched us.  Theming is just not there any more.  Still not cold enough to make us wear jackets on August 1.  Went to FitH to get another splash.

PK was terrific.  OR was great - and smooth (for the time being).  TGS was a breeze.

Noticed the tower/water feature at the corkscrew has some new lumber.  GM could use some attention, too.

TnT was next along with a look over the fence.  Then went to FM.  There are spots of orange paint on the ride.  One was on one edge of the loading area.  Another was in the outdoor part, along the cement wall.  Looks like there may be some repairs in the works.

Watched some spinning pottery and blacksmithing.

Walked to GE for a spin on the ES, EM, and WC.  Happily the boy can now ride most rides in the park by himself, so he also captained his own boat in the RR.

Returned to OR, where the ride was considerably rougher than earlier, even though we were in the same seat (Warmer weather?).  We hadn't eaten, so I was interested in something in the Pathfinder.  According to it, they have sample sizes of funnel cakes at "all" funnel cake locations.  I stopped at the OR/TGS funnel cake place to ask about price and size.  The lady there had no idea what I was talking about and kind of blew us off instead of finding out more for herself.  I decided to find another place to eat, and ended up with a Sidewinder:  thick potato curls with nacho cheese and bacon for less than $7 (SP discount applied).

Decided to take a hike into Marvel Cave.  Vivian was our guide and she did a great job, though she probably talked more than most would have liked.

Left the park and ate at McDonald's in B. West before heading home - $3 Happy Meal, a McChicken, and $1 drink for cheapskates like us.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2017, 05:14:36 PM »
Returned to OR, where the ride was considerably rougher than earlier, even though we were in the same seat (Warmer weather?). 

We have found that one train seems to ride smoother than the other for some odd reason.  My father and I will only ride in the front seat now because we refuse to "risk" a rough ride.  Mom will ride once and be done for the day on OR.  For selfish reasons, I wish the park would have gone with Iron Horse instead of a "hybrid wooden track" - I'm not convinced that it won't have to do that eventually.  FTR Goliath at SFGAm hasn't aged well either.
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2017, 06:39:21 PM »
Took the seven-year-old to the city, yesterday, for a little treat.

People were returning to their cars to get jackets.  75 degrees is unbearably cold.

congrats the the "treat" for the little one....
 :D
Jackets??? ??? ???

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2017, 10:21:20 PM »
Returned to OR, where the ride was considerably rougher than earlier, even though we were in the same seat (Warmer weather?). 

We have found that one train seems to ride smoother than the other for some odd reason.  My father and I will only ride in the front seat now because we refuse to "risk" a rough ride.  Mom will ride once and be done for the day on OR.  For selfish reasons, I wish the park would have gone with Iron Horse instead of a "hybrid wooden track" - I'm not convinced that it won't have to do that eventually.  FTR Goliath at SFGAm hasn't aged well either.

They were only running one train, so I figured it had to be warming weather, friction-warmed track and wheels, or something to do with a change from the damp morning to a dry afternoon.  It was a huge difference - from really smooth in the morning to moderately rough in the afternoon.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2017, 10:38:16 PM »
... they have sample sizes of funnel cakes at "all" funnel cake locations.  I stopped at the OR/TGS funnel cake place to ask about price and size.

We noticed a sign for this at Cakes & Cones back by The Grand Exposition. It was a great way to try all of the flavors. We also noticed that the other stands didn't seem to be offering the sampler.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 05, 2017, 11:54:45 AM »
Went to the park on Saturday the 2nd. I went in with low expectations because of the labor day weekend crowd but the park and all the employees blew that theory right out of the water. We got there around 9:45 and parked in lot 6. We just walked in from that point. The line for tickets was very long  and I was buying 2 of the $ 31.00 entrys for my daughter and her boyfriend, but it moved with extreme efficiency.  Once inside we headed to PK and they were running a very efficient 2 train system already. Moved to WF after that and it was the same.  I could go on about the other attractions but they were all the same all day long. It seems like they had anticipated and staffed accordingly for the crowd that day. The park was crowded but most rides were 10 minutes at the most wait. I am not into religious music so I cannot speak to that aspect of the day. MY daughters boyfriend had never been into the cave so we did a tour and he was overwhelmed. Kind of neat to see someone experience it for the first time and the wow factor they get. JUst to sum it up SDC and the citizens hit a home run Saturday. I can not think of one thing that could have been done better or exceded what they were doing. And the park looked great.

JJH

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 05, 2017, 01:39:30 PM »
Nice to see such a positive review!  We often get caught up on what SDC can do better, and not mention when they get almost everything correct.  Nice review.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 10, 2017, 08:28:46 AM »
Didnt want to start a new thread , this weekend is Country Music Weekend,  last night they had Diaod Rio at Ech Hollow, and Sat was Mercy Day,,,,,,,  attendence for the day was only 13,000.  That has to be a disappointing number the PTB,

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 10, 2017, 10:17:31 AM »
Didnt want to start a new thread , this weekend is Country Music Weekend,  last night they had Diaod Rio at Ech Hollow, and Sat was Mercy Day,,,,,,,  attendence for the day was only 13,000.  That has to be a disappointing number the PTB,

I was there Fri. and Sat. night, and I can tell you it was crowded! Late Friday afternoon wasn't too bad, but last night! Wow! Every food vendor had long lines. We got there right after 4:00 planning to have dinner, but a citizen told us Echo opened up 20 min. earlier so we headed that way.  Didn't make it off Main Street and we were standing in line.  Not a seat open last night!  People were sitting on concrete, in stairways, and against walls.  I'm really surprised they didn't cut off attendance. Not a country fan, but a great night.  I actually liked Restless Heart a little better. My only gripe is the way traffic control is set up.  Autograph station/sales set up right in the middle of the walkway really impedes traffic.  And, if someone is in a large ecv, waiting to buy a cd, t-shirt, etc. no one can walk by - there's no room! Tempers were starting to flare when people needed to get by to get out and others were standing there waiting for autographs.  Couldn't they set that up right outside the entrance? Everyone walks out that way anyway, so why not open up the traffic?

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 10, 2017, 05:15:26 PM »
We went to the Restless Heart concert Friday night, thoroughly enjoyed it. Very thankful that Echo Hollow is opening early so that you don't have to stand in line for hours. I would say it was about 98% full. Last year we attended all 3 nights but chose not to do so this year since Diamond Rio and Lonestar were repeats from last year.

It took us the longest time to get back to our vehicle after a concert than it ever has. It was really tight near the scooter/stroller rental booth due to all of the scooters parked in front of the booth. I will be glad when the entrance area is redone so the bottlenecks aren't so bad when there are large crowds entering or exiting.