Author Topic: 2017 Trip Reports  (Read 44484 times)

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Trip Reports
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2017, 11:40:22 AM »
I went June 18th for a few hours. Mostly for the shows... I enjoy rides but cannot ride them right now.

I watched the Saloon Show for the first time since last summer and I really enjoyed it. The "modern" song mentioned was a take on a song from Hamilton which I really enjoyed... But I enjoyed ALL of Hamilton. I guess we all have our tastes... My guess is 90% of the people in the audience did not even make the connection.

The thing that bothered me was that during the stunt dog show, they were playing Gary Glitter's "Rock n Roll Pt.2" song... This seemed REALLY inappropriate to me given Gary Glitter technically gets money when it is played and he has had some serious legal problems that should probably not be played at a kid-oriented show. Most of the sports arenas that played that song stopped about 10 years ago because they did not want to be associated with his getting money for the song's use.

The pork belly fries have become my new favorite there

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2017, 01:04:07 AM »
Why do you supposed TNT is getting very rough all the sudden?

I have become very much concerned with this as well. It was really bad when I visited a few weeks ago, bad enough that I almost commented to the staff about it. I have some concern that the track and supports might have shifted slightly in the wake of all the construction and earth moving next door. There is one bad jolt as you exit the tunnel and another at the bottom swoop that I never experienced before and I have ridden TNT a lot. (it was my first big coaster as a kid) I would hate to think this might signal the beginning of the end of TNT. Hopefully the maintenance staff will address it in the off season or have the construction crew assist them as they wrap up construction on the new coaster.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 01:06:16 AM by sdcfan88 »

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2017, 08:23:38 AM »
Why do you supposed TNT is getting very rough all the sudden?

I have become very much concerned with this as well. It was really bad when I visited a few weeks ago, bad enough that I almost commented to the staff about it. I have some concern that the track and supports might have shifted slightly in the wake of all the construction and earth moving next door. There is one bad jolt as you exit the tunnel and another at the bottom swoop that I never experienced before and I have ridden TNT a lot. (it was my first big coaster as a kid) I would hate to think this might signal the beginning of the end of TNT. Hopefully the maintenance staff will address it in the off season or have the construction crew assist them as they wrap up construction on the new coaster.

Very possible with all the dirt work nearby that it was damaged :(.....or that earthquake?....or it's just getting old:( 
Very much agree that it needs to be fixed....halt the new construction and fix TnT!!!!
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2017, 08:31:26 AM »
I agree..why build new coasters when you cant keep up your current ones. PK never opens on time, TnT is not that old, your signature indoor ride needs help...etc.
Ok go ahead and murder me but id rather see them keep the park in shape, then worry about a new coaster. Of course they could be planning to fix up TNT
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2017, 11:00:48 PM »
Here is our photo trip report from Friday 6/30 of Star-Spangled Summer
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/06/star-spangled-summer-sdc.html
SWOOSH

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2017, 09:45:34 AM »
Not sure where to post this because I dont see a showboat trip reviews thread or a WW reviews thread, so I will leave it right here:

Showboat: I went on 7-3-17 to the 8PM show. I paid for the Celebrate show to hear good music, yet country crap was played on the docks that nobody wants to hear! It needs to be changed or turned off! This is NOT country on the lake! Whoever did that needs to be FIRED!!! I told Corbin about it and he said to tell a manager or write a review online, yet there was no manager there. They started seating at 7:10, 10 minutes late, and said they were going to seat by row, but took the next person in line instead because they wanted to get away from the crap music. Once on the boat, they played Oldies mixed with crap music, as if they didnt make your ears bleed enough on the docks!!! The show started at 8:00, 15 minutes later than last year. They reduced the salad size to HALF of what it was every year! They got rid of the smoothie drinks. They now have ICEE, Coke products, Cappichino, and hot chocolate. They also have the normal water, tea, and pink lemonade. The show itself would have been great as last year, if it werent for new sound idiot that clearly did not know what hes doing or was drunk. He made Cassandra sound horrible when she normally has a lovely voice. That sound man also needs to be FIRED!!! Christopher James, Cassandra, Showmen, and Rhythym all did their best to give us a good show with what was given. Crap music was still played as we went through the docks to our cars. This is by far the WORST year ever for the boat. I usually come 3 times a year, but I wont be back this year.

I didnt see any fireworks, except a few small ones on the South shore of Table Rock Lake.

WW: Went both days. First day, 10:10 to 5:30 (should have stayed later) Everything was great as always. Almost no crowd until 12:30. I got 35 good pictures of most of the attractions to post online because most pictures I see are either old or dont look good. It seemed crowded for a Monday, but only because Ohana Falls was closed. They were fixing the conveyor belt and could not get any rafts. That is the 1 ride I usually see the most people at. Since it was closed, people migrated to other areas and made the lines longer than I have ever seen. It was the first day this year I was at a water park and not shivering because it was hot. Had a nice picnic at 1:30 at the picnic tables.

Tuesday, I was watching the radar that morning in Stone Castle (We get a free stay in ANY room we want with our card next time) and the big storm moved out by 9:00, with very little clouds behind it that were too small to produce lightning. The rain probability was high for some unknown reason, but I saw no chance of lightning until at least 2:00, when I wanted to leave. I made the right choice. I had the park almost to myself, except for 10 other people who had the same idea as me, until noon when a small crowd came in. Ohana Falls was running again. Had fun, but I walked so much my feet hurt, but I dont have blisters because I wear my shoes to every slide. I had a headache and my neck hurt, but that only means I made the right choice. Cant have a good vacation without some kind of pain to rest through the next day. I went on every slide a total of 6 times. My legs  have muscles by now, Im sure. Everybody slows down by the time they get to the top of Kalani Towers once, but I can go several times without slowing down.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2017, 06:42:44 PM »
Did anybody go to the City over the 4th?  I thought about going Monday and Tuesday but did not.  Looking at the app a couple of times it looked like it might have been pretty busy on Monday but maybe not on Tuesday.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2017, 07:29:58 PM »
Ran into Pete and Jo Dee Hershend today! Had a nice little chat with them.
Most of the coasters had short lines or walk-ons which was surprising for a Saturday afternoon. Strangely enough Outlaw Run had shorter lines than Wildfire today. Powderkeg had the longest line at about a 30 minute wait. Not much new on MM18. But the track and supports have vanished from the back lot. They must have it stacked on the site somewhere and we should be seeing it hung next week.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2017, 09:21:41 PM »
Ran into Pete and Jo Dee Hershend today! Had a nice little chat with them.

I dont want to get off topic, But do they seem to be doing.. Have not seen Pete for a while.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2017, 11:46:43 PM »
They seem to be doing ok actually. Ran into them sitting on the rockwork across from the TNT archway this afternoon.

Jipper

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2017, 07:18:01 AM »
Did anybody go to the City over the 4th?  I thought about going Monday and Tuesday but did not.  Looking at the app a couple of times it looked like it might have been pretty busy on Monday but maybe not on Tuesday.

I was there on the 4th from rope drop to about 3 in the afternoon. Along with the 4th, I imagine that the threat of rain kept some people away. Pretty much all the rides were walk on.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2017, 09:19:27 AM »

I was there on the 4th from rope drop to about 3 in the afternoon. Along with the 4th, I imagine that the threat of rain kept some people away. Pretty much all the rides were walk on.

Dang, I knew I should have went!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2017, 08:37:01 PM »
Slid through the city on this hot day!

Never noticed the sign for the petting area says "Pet-a-Goat Junction".

Cranky Randy at FitH gave everybody lectures before he would tell people which row to get in line for:  "Go where I tell you.  If you don't follow my directions, you'll mess it up for everybody!"  Wow.

Young guy operating OR yelled over the mic every time the recorded instructions played - both for incoming and outgoing trains:  "Undo your seat belts and exit to your right."  Every time.  Two voices coming over the speakers at the same time!  I'm pretty sure the recorded voice is meant to ensure that the rules are said the same way every time.  I'm also pretty sure an injured person could make a case for not hearing the rules.  He really needed to shut up and wait for the recording to play.

That said, we enjoyed a smooth ride this time.  Last time about killed me.  Was that because of the hot weather or because we were in the middle of the train this time?  It was a huge difference.

Both arms of TGBS were operating, so it was a walk-on.  Not sure why they were running both arms.

It was nice to visit GFMansion without a crowd of maniacs.  It helped the 7yo appreciate some of the little nuances of the attraction.  It was also was his first time to look in the "do not look in this hole" hole.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2017, 09:16:43 PM »
We were also out there today for almost the entire day.  Had a great time.

Powder Keg was having issues right at opening with the restraints on one train.  After waiting a bit to see what was going to happen, we moved on to the other coasters.  They did get it open later, but with only one train, which meant a long wait, even with a short line.  So we'll catch that one on Friday.

otherwise there was little to no wait for most of the rides today.  Got in multiple rides on Wildfire and several others.  Niece had a nice "freakout" time on FitH and Flooded mine since she's afraid of clowns, mannequins, and similar things.  We had a great time at her expense on those.  and she loved Wildfire and really enjoyed Outlaw Run.

Globetrotters put on a great show- much improved over last year!  if you haven't seen them yet, better hurry.  they're done at the end of this week.  it was also great to see a group at the gazebo that we've followed over the years- Southern Raised!  they're only there through Thursday, but they are a great bluegrass group.

Had fun showing my niece and some friends from Florida a lot of what makes the park great though- the crafts, candy shop, the food, the train, and the people.  We looped around twice and had a great time.  Actually went on all of the water rides today- something we usually don't do because they lines are long, but that wasn't an issue today.  Didn't make it it to the cave or Homestead Pickers- niece will get those on Friday as well.  But it was a great day with light crowds and lots of fun.

They loved the train robbery- and we had a good group of guys doing it today (so happy to see that Rick was out there for my friends!)

My one failure- would you believe we didn't even look at the construction site?  We were so busy playing and riding that we didn't even think about it.  I'll try to remember to take my good camera Friday to take a look and get some photos.  :-)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2017, 11:34:06 PM »
We were also out there today for almost the entire day.  Had a great time.

Powder Keg was having issues right at opening with the restraints on one train.  After waiting a bit to see what was going to happen, we moved on to the other coasters.  They did get it open later, but with only one train, which meant a long wait, even with a short line.  So we'll catch that one on Friday.

otherwise there was little to no wait for most of the rides today.  Got in multiple rides on Wildfire and several others.  Niece had a nice "freakout" time on FitH and Flooded mine since she's afraid of clowns, mannequins, and similar things.  We had a great time at her expense on those.  and she loved Wildfire and really enjoyed Outlaw Run.

Globetrotters put on a great show- much improved over last year!  if you haven't seen them yet, better hurry.  they're done at the end of this week.  it was also great to see a group at the gazebo that we've followed over the years- Southern Raised!  they're only there through Thursday, but they are a great bluegrass group.

Had fun showing my niece and some friends from Florida a lot of what makes the park great though- the crafts, candy shop, the food, the train, and the people.  We looped around twice and had a great time.  Actually went on all of the water rides today- something we usually don't do because they lines are long, but that wasn't an issue today.  Didn't make it it to the cave or Homestead Pickers- niece will get those on Friday as well.  But it was a great day with light crowds and lots of fun.

They loved the train robbery- and we had a good group of guys doing it today (so happy to see that Rick was out there for my friends!)

My one failure- would you believe we didn't even look at the construction site?  We were so busy playing and riding that we didn't even think about it.  I'll try to remember to take my good camera Friday to take a look and get some photos.  :-)

I don't really care to see the Globetrotters at Silver Dollar City.  It's not that I don't like them; we've even had a couple of visits from players at our school.  It's just not what I want from a trip to the 1880s.  They just don't fit.

As for Southern Raised, they were playing the gazebo as we entered.  Great harmony, but it was hot out there so we' didn't want to sit still.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating