Author Topic: 2017 Trip Reports  (Read 44834 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: 2017 Trip Reports
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2017, 04:10:43 AM »
You must just be having crap luck as PK gas been open all 3 of our visits.  In fact we got 5 rides on it Sunday
SWOOSH

Madtwins

• Jr. Citizen
  • My 3G network
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2017, 07:09:14 AM »
Yeah must just be bad luck, we were there sunday, Monday and Tuesday and we got several rides on it each day

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2017, 02:35:10 PM »
Got down there on Sunday. TnT running rougher than I've ever experienced, especially through the tunnel.

Yes, I have ridden TNT more than any other ride and know it pretty well and it sure seemed rough last time I was on it especially in the tunnel as you mention.  I could only imagine how rough it would be riding in the back.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2017, 02:48:35 PM »
We shared the park with a moderate crowd, Friday.  The longest line, as usual, was for LR.  We practically walked on to all the coasters.

Our daughter (13) rode OR for the first time; I thought she would hate it, but she went back for a second time through.  As for me, they clamped the restraint down so hard I couldn't even enjoy the ride.  I didn't notice a smoother ride from the back, but we did notice the braking was a million times quieter than last season.  Next time, we're looking to get her to ride WF.

Our son (7) rode three new rides - TGS, Electrospin, and Firefall.  He loved each of them, which is exciting for us, because he may have finally graduated from the kiddie rides, and we won't have to spend as much time in those areas.  Next time, we hope to get him onto OR.

The saloon show is great, with David and Rachel in terrific form.  I had just remarked that the other male lead looks a little like Lynn-Manuel Miranda, when the "Tilly" and the girls started singing "Helpless" from Hamilton.  We love the music from Hamilton (which it totally uncharacteristic of our normal faire), so this was a nice surprise...and it did not detract from the show or even seem out of place.  I wonder how many people recognize such a hip, modern influence.

There was an issue on RB that caused a shutdown of the ride while the kids were on it.  A couple of workers rode a raft through the channel, looking into the water.  It sounds as if a mother had reported a missing child and claimed she never saw the child exit the area after riding.  It seems, in that case, that the workers were looking for the missing child, in case she had fallen overboard.  I didn't see that as what happened, but I guess such a report will be publicized if it turns out to be the result.

I look for details and changes, so here's a short list:

1.  The picture outside the saloon - the one that rotates a face to make it appear with a different expression when inverted - is no longer there.  Maybe I'm not up to date on this removal.

2.  The wheel of fortune behind the bar in the saloon was set on the number 26, which happens to be today's date.  Is that just a coincidence, or does someone change it to the current date every day?  If you're in there, I'd love to know if it's always set to the date or if it's just always on 26.

3.  The new Keep it moving face in the FM didn't win me over at all.  While I'm pleased that they kept the feature, the face is jerky and weird (and clearly computer-enhanced).  Of course, I'm nostalgic for the old guy, but just having the face in a frame doesn't have the same appeal as the face that appeared to be more three-dimensional.

4.  I totally shot over 900,000 points on FM, rolled the display, and shot another 727,000 before the end of the ride - which is why I hate the shootout aspect.  The gun just racked up points every time the trigger was pulled, whether aimed at a target or not.  The scores are obviously irrelevant when the guns malfunction, which I suppose is quite often.

My daughter dropped the lid of one of our cups over the rail on the back of the Culinary School into Echo Hollow.  She had to get permission to enter EH and retrieve it.  We took two of the cups that we found in a flea market for $1 each.  It was a great purchase, since they are Buzzsaw Falls mugs with only $1 refills.

My wife lost her phone on TnT, thought she lost it on FM, returned to FM to find it.  The phone was discovered on TnT, but of course we couldn't call her to tell her.  Big fiasco.  Elevated stress levels.

When we got home, my daughter couldn't find her own phone, iPod, and two other items.  Most of the items turned up in the middle of a nearby street, with the iPod completely destroyed by a car running over it.  Devastation.  Total melt-down.  Not a great ending to the day.

If she rode OR WF is a piece of cake.  I will usually ride OR at least once a year but it is not my favorite.  I rode it our last trip and the tops of my legs hurt from the restraints in the inversions.  Probably just me though but WF is much smoother.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2017, 02:52:13 PM »
The Family had a great day on Thursday, May 26.  My oldest daughter is now riding TNT after years of persuasion and LOVES it!  It does seem much more rough than in the past like someone else mentioned, but I figure it is because all of the attention is devoted to the coaster next door.   I wish I could have gotten her to ride it before all of the trees were bulldozed, but still fun.  My youngest boy age 6 loves it as well, but my other daughter age 7 rode it last trip and loved it...but passed out.  I hadn't ever witnessed someone pass out  on a ride before so it kind of took me by surprise.  She passed out and then jumped right back into laughing when she regained consciousness.  I am holding her out of bigger rides for my sake for a year or two.  :)

On a sour note the Powderkeg was broken down yet again.  Something definitely must be up with this ride in the maintenance end because it has been down every trip we have made for the last five trips in a row.  This is my 11 year old boys favorite ride and mine as well.  He always jokes about making another failed attempt to get on every time we are there lately and boy he is right every time.  I hope this doesn't mean it is becoming to hard to maintain to justify the ride.  You gotta love that launch!  :)

Everytime we have been there this year, and many times last year it has been down part of the day.  On our last trip we actually got to ride it QUITE a bit.  On one of the times we were on it, there was something up with the restraints as they had to keep opening and closing them, like it was not detecting one or more were closed. We finally went then a little while later it was broke down again.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2017, 10:21:25 PM »
2 visits in 7 days?!  Say what!  We went down Sunday to sdc and Monday to white water.  TNT was our first stop.  They walked right on.  Next the expo and getting the kids measured.  Why is that measuring station located there?!  It is so inconvenient.  It needs to be moved to the top of the hill.  We split up to take kids around the expo and spent about 2 1/2 hours in that area.  Wait was no more than 10 minutes for any ride except electrospin and the coaster.  We had no idea where all of the people were.  But we found them at the bottom of the hill at the landing!  The kids played on the splash pad then we headed toward fith and powder keg.  The boys wanted to ride powder keg but it was closed...again.  So they settled for fith twice.  Cinnamon bread and we were out!

White water was looking fairly good!  Anna loved the new toddler area but she is quickly outgrowing that.  We waited no more than 10 minutes for any slide.  Most we rode 2-3 times.  Chair hogs are frustrating but what can be done about that?  High tide Hannah's was a mess.  It took us 30 minutes to get food and pay.  They had that grossly under staffed.  On opening weekend, one pop machine not working and only one person checking people out is unacceptable.  But food lines were long everywhere.  Crazy that they have that many options but their lines are so bad.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2017, 10:51:56 PM »
Next the expo and getting the kids measured.  Why is that measuring station located there?!

I think it's located there because that's where the majority of the family rides are located.  For future reference, there's an additional measuring station in the Wilson's Farm area near the Giant Swing. 
SWOOSH

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2017, 09:53:21 AM »
Chair hogs are frustrating but what can be done about that?
People hogging chairs with nothing on them? How many where they hogging? Why?

People need to put their towel and drink somewhere for when they come back and need a break. Plus, it is hard to find a chair at times. That is why I try to get there early, under the free cabanas in front of Waikiki Wave. That is the best view! For me, it is too boring looking at Splashaway Cay, Wave Pool, or Coconut Cove. I like to see action on a water slide or the Lazy River, but they only have paid cabanas there.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 09:57:18 AM by Dewayne »

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2017, 04:10:27 PM »

People need to put their towel and drink somewhere for when they come back and need a break. Plus, it is hard to find a chair at times. That is why I try to get there early, under the free cabanas in front of Waikiki Wave. That is the best view! For me, it is too boring looking at Splashaway Cay, Wave Pool, or Coconut Cove. I like to see action on a water slide or the Lazy River, but they only have paid cabanas there.

Let's be clear.  I have no issue with people using a chair.  We pick one, out of the way, put everyone's towels and shoes on it.  And by every ones I mean...we had 2 adults and 6 kids and used one chair.  But when there is one person sitting next to 8 chairs that are stacked up, it's out of control.  That's what we saw so much of on Monday.  Also, your 2 year old doesn't need their own chair so they can relax and put their feet in the water in the kiddie area. 

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2017, 05:15:23 PM »

Let's be clear.  I have no issue with people using a chair.  We pick one, out of the way, put everyone's towels and shoes on it.  And by every ones I mean...we had 2 adults and 6 kids and used one chair.  But when there is one person sitting next to 8 chairs that are stacked up, it's out of control.  That's what we saw so much of on Monday.  Also, your 2 year old doesn't need their own chair so they can relax and put their feet in the water in the kiddie area.

We always used to get 1 chair per person. Put our personal stuff and towels on it and off we would go. With 2  adults and 2 teenagers I do not see that as unreasonable because we all paid a admission. Sometimes there were 4 of us there and sometimes none or 1. Everyone Was free to come and go or just relax and read. If that's being a chair hog I will wear the title proudly.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2017, 06:33:21 PM »
Wow.  Talk about a #FirstWorldProblems  ::)
SWOOSH

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2017, 10:56:07 PM »
1 person sitting next to 8 chairs stacked up? Then someone please take as many chairs as possible. They arent even being used. Lifeguards stack them every night to save space. Unstack them and feel free to put them wherever you like. Nobody can hog 8 unused chairs with nothing on them. Im sure hes fine with you taking them. If not, let him know, lifeguard, or manager.

Super

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2017, 08:18:28 AM »
Took the family and my 2 1/2 year old grand daughter to SDC on Tuesday.  Several attractions for the little ones and great ride operators who truely care about kids.  Looking around the park as a season ticket holder that hasn't been at SDC since 2015, I'm a little concerned on the conditions of the park.  Every bathroom I was in didn't have paper towels and had some cleaning issues.  A few of the areas need some maintenance work pretty bad.  Employees at the restaurants need to be better interacting with guests.  They seemed distracted.  The new areas where the crowds are looked great ,but older park areas need to be updated.  Shows were standing room only.  Always a hit.  Parking lot driver's excellent.  Thought it's interesting that they are paving entrance roads during the busy summer trying to get in the parking lot.  Most of the food was good.  Two skillet places ran out of food it was a 30 minute wait.  Not good for customers.  Overall my grand daughter had a great first visit and many memories were made that will last a life time.  Her favorite ride was The Flooded Mine and walking through Grandfathers House.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2017, 09:11:38 AM »
walking through Grandfathers House.

ALWAYS a BIG hit! with young and old.! 

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2017, 09:20:04 AM »
Super, I have to agree with you on the bathroom issue.  I've been there several times this year and haven't seen an attendant.  Usually there is one in the bathroom.  My biggest gripe AS ALWAYS is that someone is always in the only wheelchair accessible stall with kids, changing clothes, or talking on the phone when there are wheelchairs that can't get in any other stall!  The new bathroom at Echo Hollow was awful last week - so bad that standing in the funnel cake line was not fun.  You could also smell it from the seating area.  I've never had a bad experience with restaurant employees other than a couple kids working one year at the front grill who were more interested in talking and laughing loudly and ignoring the line.  That was a one time experience.  The shows are excellent this year in my opinion, and yes, the lines are long.  Luckily, they move fairly fast once the doors are open.  Hubs only gripe is that so many places start closing an hour or more before closing time.  If I was a visitor getting there late in the afternoon, I'd be very unhappy to walk around looking for an open food vendor.