Author Topic: 2017 Trip Reports  (Read 44445 times)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Trip Reports
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2017, 03:18:26 PM »

So what is Mercy day?  I had thought about coming up this coming weekend but maybe not.  How do you think Friday or Sunday will be?

Mercy Day is when Mercy hospital employees and their families come out in force.  They get big discounts on the tickets and have a couple of special events just for them.  It is one of the biggest attendance crowds of the year from the sheer number of their employees that come out.

Cox when they occasionally have events like that can be just as crowded.

Ok got ya.  I am thinking I was there on Mercy day last year.  I do remember there being a hospital group of some sort and they had the BBQ place down by the river blocked off just for them.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2017, 05:28:24 PM »
As I mentioned in another thread today PK broke down for about 20 mins while I was on it. Sensor/Restraint issues again apparently. Also something neat I learned today is that any Cinnamon bread that is not sold an hour before closing is marked down 75 percent. I got mine for a whole $1.88. LOL  ;D

Excellent news to know for future reference -- wish I had known it when I was there this Tuesday!

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2017, 05:39:57 PM »
FWIW -- while we were at the park Tuesday we saw Brad Thomas and 4 guys in suits plus some other folks walking through the park together. Didn't recognize any of the men in suits. Most of the times I saw Joel Manby walking around SDC, he wasn't wearing a suit.

Sungod

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2017, 08:59:50 PM »
Got down there on Sunday. TnT running rougher than I've ever experienced, especially through the tunnel.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2017, 09:16:15 PM »
^I have actually kinda noticed that on my last visit. And oddly enough it feels like its running faster too.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2017, 05:00:51 PM »
We were at the City on May 13th and 14th.  It was crowded on Saturday but not the nightmare scenario I pictured for Mercy Health Day.  They did have extended park hours from 7pm to 11pm for the Mercy guests so maybe some of them were waiting for later in the day to visit.  Water ride lines got long later in the day but most of the coasters were short lines (we walked right on to Outlaw Run).  Powder Keg was down most of the day according to the ride wait times on the app.  Fire in the Hole seemed to have the longest lines- around 30 minutes.  Also, because of the picture-taking fiasco the Train had very long lines.  We avoided it on Saturday and rode the 1st train Sunday before the photographers got there  8).  We saw Carson Peters and Iron Mountain perform on Saturday, then watched that show again and the Petersons on Sunday.  Both were very entertaining!  Talked to Ms. Sharon at the school house and she's leaving to take another job next month.  Did not take any pictures of construction but that thing really looks like it's barn-shaped to me- which might make it in line with the Buffalo Bill concept?  As has been stated before the Flooded Mine looked great.  The animated talking head in the queue line was new and they did a really good job on it but like with the older simulation I wish they'd turn the volume up a little more.  It's hard to hear what he's saying.
I'm Your Huckleberry

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2017, 07:10:26 PM »
  The animated talking head in the queue line was new and they did a really good job on it but like with the older simulation I wish they'd turn the volume up a little more.  It's hard to hear what he's saying.

I will have to check that next weekend,  sounds like you had a good visit... see you next time..

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2017, 01:18:36 PM »
Talked to Ms. Sharon at the school house and she's leaving to take another job next month. 

Sharon's leaving as well?  I wondered since her husband retired how long she'd be there. Sad in many ways how many are leaving the park through retirement, other jobs, etc.  A lot of the people I'm used to being there aren't there anymore.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Jipper

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2017, 10:45:54 PM »
Got down there on Sunday. TnT running rougher than I've ever experienced, especially through the tunnel.

Have to agree... One big jolt in the tunnel. Otherwise pretty smooth sailing.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2017, 11:18:50 PM »
We shared the park with a moderate crowd, Friday.  The longest line, as usual, was for LR.  We practically walked on to all the coasters.

Our daughter (13) rode OR for the first time; I thought she would hate it, but she went back for a second time through.  As for me, they clamped the restraint down so hard I couldn't even enjoy the ride.  I didn't notice a smoother ride from the back, but we did notice the braking was a million times quieter than last season.  Next time, we're looking to get her to ride WF.

Our son (7) rode three new rides - TGS, Electrospin, and Firefall.  He loved each of them, which is exciting for us, because he may have finally graduated from the kiddie rides, and we won't have to spend as much time in those areas.  Next time, we hope to get him onto OR.

The saloon show is great, with David and Rachel in terrific form.  I had just remarked that the other male lead looks a little like Lynn-Manuel Miranda, when the "Tilly" and the girls started singing "Helpless" from Hamilton.  We love the music from Hamilton (which it totally uncharacteristic of our normal faire), so this was a nice surprise...and it did not detract from the show or even seem out of place.  I wonder how many people recognize such a hip, modern influence.

There was an issue on RB that caused a shutdown of the ride while the kids were on it.  A couple of workers rode a raft through the channel, looking into the water.  It sounds as if a mother had reported a missing child and claimed she never saw the child exit the area after riding.  It seems, in that case, that the workers were looking for the missing child, in case she had fallen overboard.  I didn't see that as what happened, but I guess such a report will be publicized if it turns out to be the result.

I look for details and changes, so here's a short list:

1.  The picture outside the saloon - the one that rotates a face to make it appear with a different expression when inverted - is no longer there.  Maybe I'm not up to date on this removal.

2.  The wheel of fortune behind the bar in the saloon was set on the number 26, which happens to be today's date.  Is that just a coincidence, or does someone change it to the current date every day?  If you're in there, I'd love to know if it's always set to the date or if it's just always on 26.

3.  The new Keep it moving face in the FM didn't win me over at all.  While I'm pleased that they kept the feature, the face is jerky and weird (and clearly computer-enhanced).  Of course, I'm nostalgic for the old guy, but just having the face in a frame doesn't have the same appeal as the face that appeared to be more three-dimensional.

4.  I totally shot over 900,000 points on FM, rolled the display, and shot another 727,000 before the end of the ride - which is why I hate the shootout aspect.  The gun just racked up points every time the trigger was pulled, whether aimed at a target or not.  The scores are obviously irrelevant when the guns malfunction, which I suppose is quite often.

My daughter dropped the lid of one of our cups over the rail on the back of the Culinary School into Echo Hollow.  She had to get permission to enter EH and retrieve it.  We took two of the cups that we found in a flea market for $1 each.  It was a great purchase, since they are Buzzsaw Falls mugs with only $1 refills.

My wife lost her phone on TnT, thought she lost it on FM, returned to FM to find it.  The phone was discovered on TnT, but of course we couldn't call her to tell her.  Big fiasco.  Elevated stress levels.

When we got home, my daughter couldn't find her own phone, iPod, and two other items.  Most of the items turned up in the middle of a nearby street, with the iPod completely destroyed by a car running over it.  Devastation.  Total melt-down.  Not a great ending to the day.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2017, 09:04:13 AM »
^  I'm glad most of your trip turned out ok.  Sorry about the electronics trouble.  Amazing how much we get attached to those devices.
I'm Your Huckleberry

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2017, 01:54:11 PM »
Has the Huff Gallery moved from its forever location, or has it left completely?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2017, 04:53:41 PM »
The artist passed away, awhile back, and his family decided to close shop.
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2017, 10:23:07 PM »
Here is our Photo Trip Report from this weekend
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/05/bluegrass-bbq-sdc.html
SWOOSH

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2017, 01:24:31 AM »
The Family had a great day on Thursday, May 26.  My oldest daughter is now riding TNT after years of persuasion and LOVES it!  It does seem much more rough than in the past like someone else mentioned, but I figure it is because all of the attention is devoted to the coaster next door.   I wish I could have gotten her to ride it before all of the trees were bulldozed, but still fun.  My youngest boy age 6 loves it as well, but my other daughter age 7 rode it last trip and loved it...but passed out.  I hadn't ever witnessed someone pass out  on a ride before so it kind of took me by surprise.  She passed out and then jumped right back into laughing when she regained consciousness.  I am holding her out of bigger rides for my sake for a year or two.  :)

On a sour note the Powderkeg was broken down yet again.  Something definitely must be up with this ride in the maintenance end because it has been down every trip we have made for the last five trips in a row.  This is my 11 year old boys favorite ride and mine as well.  He always jokes about making another failed attempt to get on every time we are there lately and boy he is right every time.  I hope this doesn't mean it is becoming to hard to maintain to justify the ride.  You gotta love that launch!  :)