Author Topic: 2017 Trip Reports  (Read 44459 times)

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Trip Reports
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2017, 11:25:33 AM »
Discovered on this trip that the culinary school has a shop inside with free samples; reminded me of Mulberry Mill at Grand Village. We spent some time sitting in rockers on the back porch; good place to watch the construction going on.

This is the first year they've had the expanded shop in there, I think. Definitely a nice change, and a good way to get people to actually go in there. I don't think they've ever had much success with the school...

There were 4 people (2 couples) sitting in the front porch rockers waiting for a class to start. They said they had been there before. My husband would enjoy the class, I would enjoy eating but we don't think it is worth an additional $20.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2017, 04:08:29 PM »
My Wife, 2 year old Daughter, Parents, and myself were at The City Friday, April 28, and Sunday, April 30. We skipped Saturday due to the monsoon and visited IMAX Complex, Grand Village, and Tanger Outlets.

Lots of work being done all along the 76 Strip. Sidewalks being torn-up and redone most, if not all, all the strip. You can already tell it will be much more pedestrian friendly once finished.

Meals:
Friday lunch: SDC Fri-bread
Friday dinner: Outback
Saturday lunch: Mel's Hardluck Diner
Saturday dinner: Pasghetti's
Sunday lunch: SDC Succotash
Sunday dinner: Saltgrass Steakhouse

Rides:
Flooded Mine (3 times)
Thunderation (2 times)
Train (once)
Outlaw Run (once)
Hugo & Mary's Carousel (Multiple)
Lucky's Dizzy Dogs (Multiple Times) daughters favorite
Happy Frogs (Multiple)
Butterfly something or other (Multiple)
Grandfather's Mansion
Half Dollar Hollar

Shows:
Flamenco Kings
Earth Harp (saw the very last show of the Festival)

Was overall impressed by the entire park. Flooded mine was in great working order, all effects and lighting worked great. New plantings throughout the park, fresh paint, friendly citizens, great food, etc.
Friday was cloudy with sprinkles, Friday night and all day Saturday was a downpour, Sunday and Monday was beautiful.

TimeTraveler is going to he HUGE! I've been watching the progress on here, but seeing it in person is a whole new ballgame.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:12:04 PM by DollarCityBoy »
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Clint F

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I visit Silver Dollar City every other weekend!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2017, 08:20:46 AM »
We made it into the park on Saturday morning (5/6/17) right after they started serving breakfast in Molly's Mill.

The weather was gorgeous and I knew the park was going to be jam packed.  It was.  We ate breakfast, and then began our visual tour.  We heard the first train coming into the station (#76), so I went to check it out.  I love those old steam engines and their whistles!  The engineer saw me standing by the sign that describes each of the engines and came over.  We got to talking about the two new engines that were recently purchased.  He told me they had just gotten the new boiler for the one they've received inpark, that day!  He said they hope to have the new engine in service by fall this year!  The other is in Pennsylvania at this time undergoing some work there.

It was standing room only at Red Gold Hall for the barbecue!  In fact, we had to use one of the tall tables in the back by the soda machines to eat.  There was no place we could see to sit.  The brisket was underwhelming to both of us.  It was like they forgot to add something while they were smoking it.  Neither of us could put our finger on it.  Getting through the crowd and out again was an adventure in itself!

In Carrie's Candles we went looking for the Leather scent.  It's our favorite of all of the scents they make.  There was none to be had.  They told us they had had many people asking for it, but they were out, and he was "just going to HAVE to order some more, and soon!"

Of course when you get near the candle shop, you start to smell the cinnamon bread at Sullivan's Mill, and you just HAVE to go in there!  It's a standard stop for us anyway.

By one o'clock, it was jammed all over the park.  I didn't make it into the Fire In The Hole to check to see if they had the light fixed in the train crossing drop, so I can't report findings on that issue.  Were any of you through Fire In The Hole yesterday who knows?

We enjoyed the trip as we always do.  Next Saturday is Mercy Day, so we'll avoid the City next week.  Have a great week, everybody!   :D
I Love SDC!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2017, 05:26:04 PM »
  Next Saturday is Mercy Day, so we'll avoid the City next week.  Have a great week, everybody!   :D

you mean "No Mercy" day, dont you? ;D

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2017, 05:40:23 PM »
  Next Saturday is Mercy Day, so we'll avoid the City next week.  Have a great week, everybody!   :D

I hope not- we'll be there Saturday and Sunday. :-\

I'm Your Huckleberry

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2017, 06:54:27 PM »

Get there early on Saturday, grab the kids and hold on!!!!

Clint F

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I visit Silver Dollar City every other weekend!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2017, 08:27:01 PM »

I just double checked, Duelist.  Confirmed.  Saturday the 13th is Mercy Day.  The lady at Carrie's Candles told me yesterday that last year they had 23,000 people in the park that day! 
I Love SDC!

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2017, 09:44:37 PM »

I just double checked, Duelist.  Confirmed.  Saturday the 13th is Mercy Day.  The lady at Carrie's Candles told me yesterday that last year they had 23,000 people in the park that day!

Thanks for the warning- guess we'll just have to do the best we can :)

I'm Your Huckleberry

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2017, 10:06:45 PM »
As I mentioned in another thread today PK broke down for about 20 mins while I was on it. Sensor/Restraint issues again apparently. Also something neat I learned today is that any Cinnamon bread that is not sold an hour before closing is marked down 75 percent. I got mine for a whole $1.88. LOL  ;D

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 10:08:24 PM by sdcfan88 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2017, 09:27:30 AM »
As I mentioned in another thread today PK broke down for about 20 mins while I was on it. Sensor/Restraint issues again apparently. Also something neat I learned today is that any Cinnamon bread that is not sold an hour before closing is marked down 75 percent. I got mine for a whole $1.88. LOL  ;D

Now that is some of the best info I have heard about in a long time...  nice!

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2017, 10:50:33 AM »
I was there Saturday 5/6/17 as well. I got a late start and parked in lot 6. The school buses had the place jam packed. I tried to eat lunch 3 times an hour apart before finally having to succumb to waiting in line just before 3PM.

I was there for the bluegrass shows which mostly weren't all that crowded. I stay away on Saturdays but Flatt Lonesome were only there until Saturday so I had to make the trip. I enjoyed all of their shows.

One thing I missed this year is the VERY pared down BBQ sauce sampling. I always ended up buying 2-3 sauces during the past years. This year it was relegated to the barn and there were only about 20 BBQ sauces and half of those were SDC labeled ones.

I do wish they would have people keeping people moving right after the ticket scanning... People go through that and just stop. Not waiting for strollers or anything... just stopped. It is so hard for me not to just yell at them for their stupidity. On days when it is packed, it just creates a log jam. There have been times I have seen someone making sure people keep moving through the hospitality house. Someone doing the same at the entrance where tickets are scanned would make a world of difference

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2017, 03:03:29 PM »

I do wish they would have people keeping people moving right after the ticket scanning... People go through that and just stop. Not waiting for strollers or anything... just stopped. It is so hard for me not to just yell at them for their stupidity. On days when it is packed, it just creates a log jam. There have been times I have seen someone making sure people keep moving through the hospitality house. Someone doing the same at the entrance where tickets are scanned would make a world of difference

I dont know why people do that, 3 steps in, stop, count heads, put away tickets, check the kids, check the baggage, check the purses, argrue about whats next......  and then proceed on the way....   LOL.. ::) ::) ::)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2017, 03:40:31 PM »

Thanks for the warning- guess we'll just have to do the best we can :)

So what is Mercy day?  I had thought about coming up this coming weekend but maybe not.  How do you think Friday or Sunday will be?

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2017, 03:42:42 PM »
I was there Saturday 5/6/17 as well. I got a late start and parked in lot 6. The school buses had the place jam packed. I tried to eat lunch 3 times an hour apart before finally having to succumb to waiting in line just before 3PM.

I was there for the bluegrass shows which mostly weren't all that crowded. I stay away on Saturdays but Flatt Lonesome were only there until Saturday so I had to make the trip. I enjoyed all of their shows.

One thing I missed this year is the VERY pared down BBQ sauce sampling. I always ended up buying 2-3 sauces during the past years. This year it was relegated to the barn and there were only about 20 BBQ sauces and half of those were SDC labeled ones.

That bugs the crap out of me also, its a major traffic jam just after the gate up the hill to HH.  People just stand there talking in their groups.  I try to be nice, it is just frustrating.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2017, 06:20:37 PM »

So what is Mercy day?  I had thought about coming up this coming weekend but maybe not.  How do you think Friday or Sunday will be?

Mercy Day is when Mercy hospital employees and their families come out in force.  They get big discounts on the tickets and have a couple of special events just for them.  It is one of the biggest attendance crowds of the year from the sheer number of their employees that come out.

Cox when they occasionally have events like that can be just as crowded.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.