Author Topic: 2017 Trip Reports  (Read 44474 times)

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
Re: 2017 Trip Reports
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 04:12:01 PM »
Yes, I read somewhere that the street troupe starts in April and im sure the regular opening will start then as well. 

Sir willow love the pics(my family was in red tshirts giving lucky high fives in your pic at opening ceremony)

I hope so.  I was actually really surprised since they promote the patriotism so much.  It really caught me by surprise that  they didn't have the flag raising ceremony.

Funny that I caught you in my pictures.  If I'd known it was you I would have said Hi.  :-)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 04:48:47 PM »
Rode pk this morning they said the issue is they have a new monitoring system on the restraints and they are getting the bugs worked out of it.  That's why they've been running one train

Weird.  They were running 2 opening weekend. 
SWOOSH

Madtwins

• Jr. Citizen
  • My 3G network
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 05:21:30 PM »
Yeah they started with2 this morning and after they got everyone on the first train one restraint wouldn't recognize that it was latched so they had to get everyone off that train and take into the maintenance shed and then brought the other one in and only ran one. That's when they told us about the new restraint system

Madtwins

• Jr. Citizen
  • My 3G network
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 05:50:00 PM »

[/quote]

I hope so.  I was actually really surprised since they promote the patriotism so much.  It really caught me by surprise that  they didn't have the flag raising ceremony.

Funny that I caught you in my pictures.  If I'd known it was you I would have said Hi.  :-)
[/quote]

Yeah, my kids got a kick out of it and if you see us again be sure to say hi lol.  Yeah last year surprised me too on the spring ride days with the way they did the opening.  But it was back to the same old opening when we went back in may. 

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 08:33:02 PM »
Great Pics Sir Willow, thanks for sharing

VBHogman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2017, 08:48:01 PM »
I've read and enjoyed this site for several years now and finally decided to register and post from time to time.  I'm from Northwest Arkansas and have been visiting SDC since the late 80's as a kid. I've been taking my three kids 3 to 4 times a year since 2011.

We made our first 2017 trip Thursday (3/23) and it was the busiest day I remember in the past few years.  Encountered our first traffic standstill at 10:55 and didn't make it into the park until 12:45.  After 20 minutes of waiting in the preferred parking line, was told they were all full and needed to head to lot 5.  We made our way to the park entrance to find only 3 employees scanning tickets/passes. Waited  another 20 minutes as our line had an issue and the employee had to step away for 5 or 10 minutes.  I looked back and the three lines were nearly to the restrooms by the ticket office. 

Once we finally made it in, it was an outstanding day with my wife and daughter.  Weather was perfect. Outlaw Run line moved well all 3 times.  Thunderation was closed when we went by.  My daughter loves Wildfire and the line was the longest we've encountered. We actually went upstairs above the gift shop at 2 pm. By 5, the lines had subsided and it was back to 20 minutes or so.  The small concession lines were 15 to 20 people deep and even longer at Lumber Jack and other eateries.  The frozen lemonade was well worth the 25 minute wait!!!!

I had a sausage skillet and it seemed to have more seasoning and an all around improved flavor from last year!  I'm looking forward to trying the new Tex-mex place when we go back for vacation in June.  All in all, it felt like they were struggling to handle the crowd and honestly it was a poor, frustrating customer experience getting into the park.  I'm sure they aren't on their A game this early in the season and we still enjoyed the day.

Clint F

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I visit Silver Dollar City every other weekend!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2017, 05:35:36 AM »
Howdy, SirWillow!  Spectacular photos you took in the park!  Thank you for sharing them with us!  Is it okay if I share the link to them on my Facebook?  I have several friends I think would love to see them.
I Love SDC!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 05:15:24 PM »
I can't wait to go! Until then, I'll live vicariously through all of your reviews!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 06:24:57 PM »
Howdy, SirWillow!  Spectacular photos you took in the park!  Thank you for sharing them with us!  Is it okay if I share the link to them on my Facebook?  I have several friends I think would love to see them.
Absolutely
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2017, 04:49:12 PM »
You caught me in the firehouse, just behind the wagon, lol
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 12:13:11 PM »
I should have taken one when we were standing there talking.  lol

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2017, 09:53:55 AM »
Anyone go to the opening day of the new festival yesterday? I am going Sunday... would like to know what to expect

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2017, 10:52:07 AM »
me too..  will be there next weekend.. Easter Weekend....   

remember, SDC is closed Easter Sunday....

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2017, 04:35:33 PM »
I will be there Sunday and should have our updates online by Monday night.
SWOOSH

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2017, 09:02:23 PM »
We will be at the city tomorrow afternoon and Sunday morning/early afternoon.  We plan on seeing the echo hollow show tomorrow night.