Author Topic: 2017 Trip Reports  (Read 44844 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
2017 Trip Reports
« on: March 15, 2017, 01:44:38 PM »
Happy Opening Day 2017! A new year of fun brings a new year of trip reports. Please share your SDC experiences/pictures for the entire 2017 season here.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Trip Reports
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 03:18:54 PM »
Well I am here now. Got a good look at the construction. It's hard to miss at this point. About the only rides open is FM, TNT, fith, and the train. Very few people here but lines are long. Currently in line at TNT then may hit the train then leave. FM is looking great and has that new paint smell

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 03:39:12 PM »
Well I am here now. Got a good look at the construction. It's hard to miss at this point. About the only rides open is FM, TNT, fith, and the train. Very few people here but lines are long. Currently in line at TNT then may hit the train then leave. FM is looking great and has that new paint smell

They finally put those inmates to work in the FM this off-season...lol
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 04:10:49 PM »
This "inmate" appreciates any and all feedback :)
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 04:12:19 PM »
Good to hear about FM, Anxious to see it next week.!!  Keep the reports coming.!

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 03:48:26 PM »
We were back today, got there right after opening and rode a few rides. By 1 the lines
We're getting way too long and we figured we would find something to eat but the lines were crazy to all
The eating places so we left a little before 2.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 08:15:35 PM »
Here is our photo trip report from Spring Ride Days
https://midwestinfoguide.blogspot.com/2017/03/spring-ride-days-sdc.html
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 07:38:46 AM »
Good pics,

anxious to see things this weekend.. 
the tree is gone, new views of new project, new eating joint, Flooded mine, and see more new stuff,  we will only be there until noon or so. (unless crowd get real bad in a hurry ;)). 

Madtwins

• Jr. Citizen
  • My 3G network
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 04:52:49 PM »
Went through the cave today for the first time in years.  Easy to forget how amazing it is.  We got there at opening and went straight to TNT to see the new construction.  The size of this project in person is overwhelming, the pictures don't do it justice.  The park got busy fast today the weather is perfect. We got rides in on TNT,outlaw run, wildfire,flooded mine and fire in the hole before we did the cave tour.  We will be back Friday Saturday and Sunday.  I'm excited at the attention fm got this offseason.  Great start to the season.  Oh and won a free t shirt at opening ceremony lol
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 05:02:17 PM by Madtwins »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 10:01:36 AM »
Word in the park today is there was over 19,000 people here yesterday.
(edit- made my voice to chat into comprehensible English. lol)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 05:03:40 PM by sirwillow »
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 05:17:34 PM »
Enjoyed a nice morning and early afternoon in the park today.  Basically had a very nice stroll playing with my new camera and shooting pictures like I've wanted to do for quite a while in the park.  Watched their new welcome show.  It was nice that they gave out free t-shirts as part of it, but I miss the flag raising and the veterans' procession that they used to do.  I don't miss some of the cheese, a bit sad that the street troupe isn't part of the opening anymore.  In fact, I didn't see any of the street troupe at all.  Just Terry Sanders and Whoopsi Daisy.  I hope that's not a trend for the whole season.

As I posted earlier, they had over 19,000 Thursday, which is a ridiculously busy day anytime.  Today was much more modest and was actually nice crowd wise.  But there were signs that they weren't ready even for what they had.  Powder Keg opened with only one train running and a full queue and the line going all the way down the hill.  No clue if they got one running later or not.

After wandering a bit I heaed up and took a ride on the train, where they were doing one of the old routines I used to do (Yankees with the "fight um" routine) but no Ma on a 30 minute schedule.  They guys out there had been there a while and they did a decent job, getting some good laughs.

I then took a ride on the Flooded Mine which has obviously gotten a lot of love, TLC and freshing up for it's 50th.  (Steve, I told you there, but I'll say it again- you and your help did an incredible job!  And it was great to see you)  Fresh paint, new lighting, old effects and stunts working again that haven't in a while, and so much more.  I'm actually regretting not taking a second ride.  I can't encourage you enough to take some rounds on it this year.  And skip the new guns for at least one ride and just enjoy looking.

Did some more walking around and shooting photos around the park.  There are many places showing signs of fresh paint and investment in the off season and I tried to get photos of as much of it as possible.

Ate lunch at the new Percy's eatery- my review is on the thread for it- and just had a great time seeing the park, shooting photos, and saying Hi to people.  I headed out at 1pm, before the rain came in, but it was a great half day.  Hoping all goes well and I can make it out on the 1st to see some friends playing out there, and looking forward to a great season.

Photos (all 400+ of them) are available to see, if you'd like on my photo pages at Smugmug.  Direct link to them is: https://sirwillow.smugmug.com/Amusement-Parks-Roller/Mid-USA-TX-MO-OK-etc/Silver-Dollar-City-March-24-2017  (there's still about 100 photos left to upload as I write this)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 10:37:58 AM »
What??? No more flag raising and Veteran recognition?  Is it just temporarily gone for Spring Break, or forever?

pintrader

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 01:44:21 PM »
What??? No more flag raising and Veteran recognition?  Is it just temporarily gone for Spring Break, or forever?

If this is like last year this is only temporary.  The regular veteran recognition and opening ceremonies with the street troupe will start with the first festival.

Madtwins

• Jr. Citizen
  • My 3G network
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 02:16:51 PM »
Yes, I read somewhere that the street troupe starts in April and im sure the regular opening will start then as well. 

Sir willow love the pics(my family was in red tshirts giving lucky high fives in your pic at opening ceremony)

Madtwins

• Jr. Citizen
  • My 3G network
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 02:28:26 PM »
Rode pk this morning they said the issue is they have a new monitoring system on the restraints and they are getting the bugs worked out of it.  That's why they've been running one train