Author Topic: Dollywood 2018  (Read 22673 times)

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
Re: Dollywood 2018
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2017, 09:19:50 AM »
Doesn't have to be launched... they could get a hyper coaster running out to the side of the parking lot. That's actually what I expected when LR was about to be announced. Of course now it would be compared to what Carowinds has... but Mack has enough tricks to make it unique.

There's that new hyper Mack in China that has the largest loop in the world
https://youtu.be/H2hY0feyRNo

That coaster looks amazingly fun.  Just makes me dream about a mack hyper running down the hills of SDC back behind AP?
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2017, 03:24:24 PM »
I see two things, the most likely being they will probably get a chain lift based Hypercoaster about the size of DC Rivals with the non inverting loop and some other gimmick to satisfy marketing.

Depending on how well the GP accept the Mack Spinner at SDC next year, they might get a rethemed version of it and market it as being bigger and longer than SDC's. I don't see it until after 2019-2020 depending on if the 2020 coaster rumors are true for SDC.

givemezamor

• SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2017, 05:10:44 PM »
I see two things, the most likely being they will probably get a chain lift based Hypercoaster about the size of DC Rivals with the non inverting loop and some other gimmick to satisfy marketing.

Depending on how well the GP accept the Mack Spinner at SDC next year, they might get a rethemed version of it and market it as being bigger and longer than SDC's. I don't see it until after 2019-2020 depending on if the 2020 coaster rumors are true for SDC.

I told myself I'd sit back and soak in all that Time Traveller had to offer, but 2020 SDC coaster- please elaborate. There's nothing like a good rumor. 
"A day at Silver Dollar City is what life should be like. No worries, just good times.."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2017, 05:33:11 PM »

I told myself I'd sit back and soak in all that Time Traveller had to offer, but 2020 SDC coaster- please elaborate. There's nothing like a good rumor.

The park has 6-7 plots earmarked for coasters at the park.  The rumor going around is that the next big addition will be in 2020 and be on the west side of the park between PK and WF.  The issue with the timing of the rumor is that there is an even louder rumor that the park is going to either (A) throw large amounts of money at the classic - FM, FITH, AP, LR, GM or (B) remove the classics and/or replace them. 
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2017, 09:05:54 PM »
lol, keep the SDC rumors in the SDC threads, we already fill these DW threads with SDC stuff.  :D

I still think DW's next expansion will be the new area hinted at in the concept artwork shown earlier. Whether that happens in 2018 or 2019 I guess we'll see soon. An announcement is going to happen later today apparently. I'd also like to put my bets in on a Mack coaster following sometime after that.

Shown earlier where? Very curious about this.

I don't know where the concept artwork is anymore, and I don't have enough time to go searching. It was posted about a year or so ago on TPR and a few other places. It was just a concept pitch similar to the ones SDC always sends out. There were three options for a new themed area with several new kids rides. Basically their answer to FL.

Sounds like nothing is coming to DW in 2018 though. Dolly gave the annual speech last friday and touted the new additions to their festival lineup. Hopefully this gives them time to go full steam on Lightning Rod again.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2017, 12:00:32 PM »
... and just as soon as I post that nothing is coming, DW announces that their river battle is closing soon and that more announcements are on the way concerning future projects...

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2017, 01:20:58 PM »
A Fireman's Landing back by Firechaser Express would make logical sense.
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2017, 01:38:27 PM »
... and just as soon as I post that nothing is coming, DW announces that their river battle is closing soon and that more announcements are on the way concerning future projects...

Interesting choice.  Depending on what they do, that can be a pretty large area to work with. 

Funny reading the comments on Facebook about it.  Either "It was our favorite ride" or the ridiculous, "I hated that ride.  Some grown man shot my child in the face and got them wet.  How could someone be that evil?" and variations on that them.  SMH  at the melodrama.

The Fireman's Landing idea would be interesting, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put in some more food choices/ stores/ things to keep people hanging around more.  There's some on that side of the park, but it's still a bit light since it's the newer area of the park.  Wild Eagle also wouldn't fit in well with that theme, and it's sitting in between Firechaser and where River Battle is now.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's more than one thing though.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2017, 02:46:36 PM »

Interesting choice.  Depending on what they do, that can be a pretty large area to work with. 

Funny reading the comments on Facebook about it.  Either "It was our favorite ride" or the ridiculous, "I hated that ride.  Some grown man shot my child in the face and got them wet.  How could someone be that evil?" and variations on that them.  SMH  at the melodrama.

The Fireman's Landing idea would be interesting, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put in some more food choices/ stores/ things to keep people hanging around more.  There's some on that side of the park, but it's still a bit light since it's the newer area of the park.  Wild Eagle also wouldn't fit in well with that theme, and it's sitting in between Firechaser and where River Battle is now.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's more than one thing though.

I don't see SDC's Tom and Huck River Blast disappearing soon

Yet another Dollywood quick yank. Timber Tower, Adventure Mountain, and now River Battle right at just 10 years old.

That said,  a Mack Powersplash may replace it and spell doom for Daredevil Falls as well.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 02:51:00 PM by chittlins »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2017, 07:57:09 AM »

LOL>  i read that also, thought the same thing you just said :o :o

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2017, 10:13:06 AM »

Yet another Dollywood quick yank. Timber Tower, Adventure Mountain, and now River Battle right at just 10 years old.

That said,  a Mack Powersplash may replace it and spell doom for Daredevil Falls as well.

Yeah, this one surprises me a bit.  The topper tower needed to go as it rarely worked right, sadly.  I think it's replacement was well done.  Adventure mountain- essentially a rope course that only a few would get to do, almost seemed like a placeholder until they were able to get Firechaser Express built.- something to fill in the hole that otherwise would have been there.

Not sure why they're removing River Battle.  it was interesting riding it when we were there.  The squirt guns on it don't have the range that the ones at SDC do, and they're harder to work.  Not as many targets to you got nowhere near as wet as you do at SDC. 

I'd hate to see Daredevil Falls go.  That was a great ride.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2017, 11:15:13 AM »

Yeah, this one surprises me a bit.  The topper tower needed to go as it rarely worked right, sadly.  I think it's replacement was well done.  Adventure mountain- essentially a rope course that only a few would get to do, almost seemed like a placeholder until they were able to get Firechaser Express built.- something to fill in the hole that otherwise would have been there.

Not sure why they're removing River Battle.  it was interesting riding it when we were there.  The squirt guns on it don't have the range that the ones at SDC do, and they're harder to work.  Not as many targets to you got nowhere near as wet as you do at SDC. 

I'd hate to see Daredevil Falls go.  That was a great ride.

Oh, that's just me speculating that it would go if Dollywood got a PowerSplash by Mack.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2017, 12:24:07 PM »

Actually it's not.  The entrance to Firechaser Express is up the hill from Wild Eagle and closer to River Battle than Wild Eagle so it could work if they wanted it to.  Still doesn't help Blazing Fury which is down around the corner but what can you do.  The themes back there are not cohesive anyway
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2017, 11:21:11 PM »
Ok, someone on TPR referenced  back when Lightning Nightmare was announced that it would be the last coaster for a time and that they were going to concentrate on other stuff besides coaster. I seem to remember that as well. Guess we'll see.  Mack can make a mean log flume.

If SDC gets another coaster in 2020 and Dolly Doesn't color me impressed as it would make up the "recession" deficit.

jtudor

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2017, 08:24:34 AM »
Any updates on the River Blast area or thoughts on what's going in?