Author Topic: Dollywood 2018  (Read 22677 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Dollywood 2018
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 11:35:24 AM »
WOW! thats a great service, But a little pricey, .  BUT if you take your friends, they can be taken care of..

jtudor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 08:15:37 AM »
Over on themeparkreview, someone is mentioning that there's a ride due for closer and having it replaced with something new.  Any thoughts or knowledge on this?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 03:35:06 PM »
Looks like a potential friday announcement? Dolly being there could mean anything, she shows up every year no matter what unless I am mistaken. They aren't making much noise about it, so I'm guessing 2018 will be something along the lines of SDC's year of food and crafts. That will give them time to carve out some space for that new area in 2019.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 07:29:13 PM »
If history repeats itself, they'll be getting a Mack Coaster soon, 2019?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 07:38:18 PM »

Do you think the park will really want to put in another Launched coaster with all of the issues they've had with Lightning Rod?  The GP is not that smart.  How do you explain to them that a new Launched coaster won't have issues too?
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 08:00:17 PM »
Doesn't have to be launched... they could get a hyper coaster running out to the side of the parking lot. That's actually what I expected when LR was about to be announced. Of course now it would be compared to what Carowinds has... but Mack has enough tricks to make it unique.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 08:28:12 PM »

Do you think the park will really want to put in another Launched coaster with all of the issues they've had with Lightning Rod?  The GP is not that smart.  How do you explain to them that a new Launched coaster won't have issues too?

I think the magnetic launch is becoming kinda standard and replacing the lift chain

Argue with it all you want, Mack makes plenty of coasters. The pattern is there, it's why I mentioned a Star Flyer as the next SDC ride, that was sort of tongue in cheek but they did just buy a Funtime Drop Tower to finally put something on the topple tower pad. I was just following the trend. In the grand scheme those aren't expensive yet considered fairly major. Besides, Firechaser has a launch as well.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:30:03 PM by chittlins »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 08:43:45 PM »

I know that's a common theory- that whatever one park gets, the other will get something similar.  And it has happened sometimes, and I understand why some think that.  But it really only plays one way, sort of, and there's been a lot more investment at Dollywood than there has been at SDC.  And several things put in one park that didn't have a matching cousin at the other.

Since 2004, Dollywood has added 7 coasters (Thunderhead, Sideshow Spin- now closed, Mystery Mine, Wild Eagle, FireChaser Express, Lightning Rod, and Whistle Punk Chaser).  Of those, 2- that's right, two, had matches at SDC, one sort of with Outlaw Run, and the other being the Grand Expo coaster.

Then you get the other additions in that same time period:
2005 Dollywood Renovates Country Fair with 10 new rides- matched by Grand Expo at SDC the next year
2006 Dollywood adds Timber Tower- no match
2008 Dollywood adds River Battle- matched by SDC's River Blast
2010 Dollywood opens Adventure Mountain ropes course- no match
2011 Dollywood adds Barnstormer- matched by SDC's Barn Swing
2015 Dollywood opens the DreamMore Resort (nothing close at SDC)
2017 Dollywood opens Drop Line freefall ride.- no match

The one thing that SDC has done in that time that Dollywood hasn't was replace Geyser Gulch with Fireman's landing which contains exactly 0 (zero) new rides, but all ones that have been in the park previously or recycled from other parks (especially Celebration City).

So since 2004, Dollywood has added 5 coasters, 3 major rides and a resort with no comparison at SDC.  That also doesn't include the 2 new areas of the park they've added in that time as well- Thunderhead Gap/ Timber Canyon and Wilderness Pass, as well as a couple they've expanded.

There may be a compliment to this at Dollywood, but honestly I hope not.  it would be nice to see them invest in SDC for a change and not have to do it at Dolly as well.  SDC deserves some of the love that's been going to TN over the last few years.

This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 11:19:35 PM »

I know that's a common theory- that whatever one park gets, the other will get something similar.  And it has happened sometimes, and I understand why some think that.  But it really only plays one way, sort of, and there's been a lot more investment at Dollywood than there has been at SDC.  And several things put in one park that didn't have a matching cousin at the other.

Since 2004, Dollywood has added 7 coasters (Thunderhead, Sideshow Spin- now closed, Mystery Mine, Wild Eagle, FireChaser Express, Lightning Rod, and Whistle Punk Chaser).  Of those, 2- that's right, two, had matches at SDC, one sort of with Outlaw Run, and the other being the Grand Expo coaster.

Then you get the other additions in that same time period:
2005 Dollywood Renovates Country Fair with 10 new rides- matched by Grand Expo at SDC the next year
2006 Dollywood adds Timber Tower- no match (thank god)

2008 Dollywood adds River Battle- matched by SDC's River Blast

2010 Dollywood opens Adventure Mountain ropes course- no match(Needed Play area like GG)

2011 Dollywood adds Barnstormer- matched by SDC's Barn Swing
2015 Dollywood opens the DreamMore Resort (nothing close at SDC)
2017 Dollywood opens Drop Line freefall ride.- no match( I believe that was match for the S&S in Firemans's LAnding, SDC funtime ride maybe forth coming)

The one thing that SDC has done in that time that Dollywood hasn't was replace Geyser Gulch with Fireman's landing which contains exactly 0 (zero) new rides, but all ones that have been in the park previously or recycled from other parks (especially Celebration City).

So since 2004, Dollywood has added 5 coasters, 3 major rides and a resort with no comparison at SDC.  That also doesn't include the 2 new areas of the park they've added in that time as well- Thunderhead Gap/ Timber Canyon and Wilderness Pass, as well as a couple they've expanded.

Don't Forget the Country Living Kitchen, not a ride but an addition that wasn't cheap.

There may be a compliment to this at Dollywood, but honestly I hope not.  it would be nice to see them invest in SDC for a change and not have to do it at Dolly as well.  SDC deserves some of the love that's been going to TN over the last few years.

I got a six pack of your favorite beverage that sez Dollywood will get a Mack  of some kind. When did the crew go over there and visit, three years ago? They did take a trip right, I swear we talked about that. They signed up for two.

Take comfort they added that drop tower this year right after a coaster, maybe SDC gets a cheaper ride in 2019 as well.

Here's what put SDC behind
Buzzsaw Falls converted to Power Keg, so there's two big attractions that;s just one.

The cap expenditure gap really wasn't, it was just split in Branson with Celebration City and that was either lost or reused. I really don't see the huge difference once you take the CC debacle out of it and factor in the Buzzsaw Falls/Powder Keg deal.

The only thing outside of that is that second Gerstlauer, Herschend decided they didn't want another Eurofighter at according to some and Dolly needed a Powde Keg

So, outside of the CC debacle, the redo of Buzzsaw Falls and the Gerstlauer, the spend has been about the same at the dry parks.

I'll concede that they neglect the heck out of Whitewater and I have no clue as to why. The Resort, well, I honestly thought they'd copy it at the CC site but there must be a reason they haven't yet. Maybe not the money maker they envisioned in Pigeon Forge. It's really not much value added to it compared to other places in town with more impressive water features.

I just don't see the lack of love that others see and I do see the trend of two rides from a manufacturer at a time.

Springfield is growing but NWA is booming and SDC will grow. There's no reason to think the future isn't bright for SDC.

I'd call the Funtime Drop Line a fill the space from the blunder that was Timber Tower and match to SDC's relocated S&S. Frankly, the S&S if more fun. I prefer it over Mach Tower at Busch Gardens.  Hindsight is 20/20 but they should have added a second taller one in Fireman's Landing kinda like Hershey did. After my visit at Hershey the middle tower was was not needed unless it is purely for capacity sake cause that was avoided by the crowds when I was there, it was the small one or the big one. But if Funtime is in for two rides, please let SDC be a Star Flyer.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2017, 08:47:51 AM »
lol, we've got to stop bringing up the "investment gap" between SDC and DW every time we talk about this stuff. We keep forgetting so many details, such as just how much the CC debacle really cost HFEC. Plus other investments they've made around Branson and the extra costs they have to go through with expanding SDC. DW is in a much better position with the geography of their parking lots and the road access conditions in their immediate area. Not to mention the fact that the company is simply going to invest more money where they see more immediate growth potential.

Anyway though, I agree with chittlins that there have been more cross-overs than those that are completely obvious. At the end of the day I'm pretty sure it's the same purchase managers for all of HFEC, and they do love multi-contract discounts.

I still think DW's next expansion will be the new area hinted at in the concept artwork shown earlier. Whether that happens in 2018 or 2019 I guess we'll see soon. An announcement is going to happen later today apparently. I'd also like to put my bets in on a Mack coaster following sometime after that.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2017, 09:43:20 AM »
Don't forget Dolly has bigger markets regionally that it is pulling from.  It kind of makes sense for HFE to spend a little more money at that park considering it has the potential to draw bigger attendances. 

Just think about the major markets within a days drive...

SDC: most of MO, AR, OK, KS (Springfield/Joplin, NWA, KC, Stl, LR, Columbia, Ft. Smith, Tulsa, Wichita, St. Joe, Topeka/Lawrence, OKC, Omaha?, Memphis?, Dallas?) with a lot of farmlands and Ozark forests in between.
Dolly: Most of TN, NC, KY, GA, SC AL, VA (Knoxville, Nashville, Ashville, Charlotte, Greensboro, Atlanta, Durhum/Raleigh, Huntsville, Lexington/Louisville, Greenville, Birmingham, Charleston,Columbia, Cincinnati?) plus the regions simply have more population per square mile in these regions than most of the SDC areas.

I even know multiple families in Mobile Al that say they make trips to Pigeon Forge every few years.  Both parks have competition from other parks in nearby big cities....but Dolly just has a larger population reach and base than SDC.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2017, 10:31:45 AM »
Don't forget Dolly has bigger markets regionally that it is pulling from.  It kind of makes sense for HFE to spend a little more money at that park considering it has the potential to draw bigger attendances. 

Just think about the major markets within a days drive...

SDC: most of MO, AR, OK, KS (Springfield/Joplin, NWA, KC, Stl, LR, Columbia, Ft. Smith, Tulsa, Wichita, St. Joe, Topeka/Lawrence, OKC, Omaha?, Memphis?, Dallas?) with a lot of farmlands and Ozark forests in between.
Dolly: Most of TN, NC, KY, GA, SC AL, VA (Knoxville, Nashville, Ashville, Charlotte, Greensboro, Atlanta, Durhum/Raleigh, Huntsville, Lexington/Louisville, Greenville, Birmingham, Charleston,Columbia, Cincinnati?) plus the regions simply have more population per square mile in these regions than most of the SDC areas.

I even know multiple families in Mobile Al that say they make trips to Pigeon Forge every few years.  Both parks have competition from other parks in nearby big cities....but Dolly just has a larger population reach and base than SDC.

T
With that population comes competition as well. Lots more major parks over there, yet when you sit down and go through additions and removals and overall attractions outside of rides there really not much difference  especially when you factor in the Celebration City spend.

That said, both parks need more tween coasters. SDC could use a Vekoma family boomerang and family invert. Same goes for Dollywood.  You could probably mix them and use the same space. They aren't coaster that I'd ride but I acknowledge the need, possibly for when I start gaining Grandkids.

Till then I'm betting Dolly will get a Mack and hopefully both parks will get a Hyper/Giga within a decade.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2017, 10:59:03 AM »
I would expect more money to be invested into Dollywood than SDC. If HFE were to invest the same amount into each park, then Dolly invests into the park herself, Dollywood would have more money.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2017, 08:32:25 PM »
Doesn't have to be launched... they could get a hyper coaster running out to the side of the parking lot. That's actually what I expected when LR was about to be announced. Of course now it would be compared to what Carowinds has... but Mack has enough tricks to make it unique.

There's that new hyper Mack in China that has the largest loop in the world
https://youtu.be/H2hY0feyRNo

jtudor

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2017, 09:15:44 AM »
I still think DW's next expansion will be the new area hinted at in the concept artwork shown earlier. Whether that happens in 2018 or 2019 I guess we'll see soon. An announcement is going to happen later today apparently. I'd also like to put my bets in on a Mack coaster following sometime after that.

Shown earlier where? Very curious about this.