Author Topic: Through the Decades  (Read 20723 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Through the Decades
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 09:30:24 PM »
And where was Shanty Town?? Was it just a different name for Tom Sawyer's Landing or was it two different areas?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 11:05:47 PM »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianwhitmarsh/165096433/

Shanty town was where the Toy Shop is.

I will take pictures of thoes tracks on Friday. Does anybody want pictures of anything else while I am there?

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 11:06:39 PM »
You can see it on this 1982 map here:

Shanty Town on map

~ "Becky" Joy ~

sdcfan17

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 07:53:12 AM »
can you try to get pics of the old sumbrine tracks? I would go down there my self but i'm just so busy right now with work and school I can't.
Silver Dollar City Rocks!!!!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 04:04:03 PM »

I will take pictures of thoes tracks on Friday. Does anybody want pictures of anything else while I am there?

Again, SDC is supposed to be putting out fun little 'clues' at what they're getting next year, but I'm not sure if they're out yet. If you come across something that might hint at something, be sure and snap it.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 08:14:38 PM »
Ok, I will do my best to look for the submarine tracks! During the Christmas season I do know that Lake Silver is lowered, so that might be the best time for that, but I will go down there.

I thought I would take some pictures of the costume shop, candy production kitchen and so on... They would be a type of “behind the scenes” pictures people might enjoy. I will send them to you Steve if you would be interested in posting them on the site??? 

Sorry for my horrible paragraphs, I am embarrassed of my grammar in this.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 09:43:11 PM »
I would love to host any pictures you want to share. It's no secret that the site needs them.

Meh, this is the internet, any grammar at all will do.  ::)

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2008, 02:22:37 PM »
One year in the 70s the powers that be decided that there were not tnough activitys for young kids. Every ride had somthing scarry for them, caves on the float trip, a dark mine, FITH"s whole experiance, etc. They changed the theme of the tree house from a still to a root beer factory, built a playground, took out the scarry stuff in the float trip cave, and added a new theater between McHaffies and the H.H. that featured a story teller, and a pupet show called " Ruffus The Littlest Mule."   This was the story of the mule that eventualy got to turn the one mule swing for the kids. There was even a tie in book for this. (as well as two others.) IT was a popular show.One day during mid summer the puppeter locked up for the night an went home. Next morning he returned to find the theater a pile of rubble. It seems that someone in Maitainance misread a work order and plowed down the wrong building!. The puppeter dug the puppets from the pile and for the rest of the summer Ruffus became a homeless mule roaming the streets for ther kids untell the first dockside theater was built to house his show the next season.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 05:56:27 PM by Old Guy »
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2008, 02:32:34 PM »
Every year (as I remember it) when I was a kid in the 70s, SDC would have an election for mayor.  Shad would "campaign" for the job.  I was too young to really get into it, but I seem to remember election posters and speeches were made.  Was this part of the street troupe shows?  I specifically remember this occuring around the American Plunge, like on the bridge that crosses the plunge to get to the other side.  It seems someone would use that bridge for a political speech.  It's just one of those "impromptu" shows that added to the appeal of the park.  You never knew where something was going to happen.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2008, 02:43:10 PM »
Shad campained against Eaton Doolittle ("and thats exactly what I pledge to do...") played by now entertainment manager and former River Rat ,author of the Huck Fin Hideaway theme song, and that guy with the trained pig, etc..D.A. Calaway whose election motto was vote early, vote often! A stuntman was envoled in one of the campain shows hanging a banner from the saloon to the tower at the entrance to the Lunbercamp restrant. he did a tarsan swing from the banner. The show cycle ended in a parade through town that all the kids could join and the anouncement of Shad 's re-election.
It was featured as one seasons brochure cover. (or maybe the street map handout?)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 04:27:45 PM by Old Guy »

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2008, 03:45:14 PM »
SDC's first puppet show was in the early 70's in what was then the Vineyard Restrant on the corner of Main and Hill street. A corprate sponsership was forged with Welch's Grape Juice to launch there new white and red grape juices. They wanted entertainment with a plug for them, so was born the "Wally Welch Revew", featuring an all grape cast of singing and talking grape puppets. The show went away with the sponsership  around 1978 or so the story says.....but after all the years the gristly truth can be told. One day while dining there I accidentally sat on Wally Welch and mashed him flat. He said nothing from that day forward...but he did let out a little wine. (Pause 2,3......)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 05:57:14 PM by Old Guy »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2008, 07:58:27 PM »
It's jokes like that that confirm you worked for Silver Dollar City!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 01:47:39 PM »
Every year (as I remember it) when I was a kid in the 70s, SDC would have an election for mayor.  Shad would "campaign" for the job.  I was too young to really get into it, but I seem to remember election posters and speeches were made.  Was this part of the street troupe shows?  I specifically remember this occuring around the American Plunge, like on the bridge that crosses the plunge to get to the other side.  It seems someone would use that bridge for a political speech.  It's just one of those "impromptu" shows that added to the appeal of the park.  You never knew where something was going to happen.
Shad campained against Eaton Doolittle ("and thats exactly what I pledge to do...") played by now entertainment manager and former River Rat ,author of the Huck Fin Hideaway theme song, and that guy with the trained pig, etc..D.A. Calaway whose election motto was vote early, vote often! A stuntman was envoled in one of the campain shows hanging a banner from the saloon to the tower at the entrance to the Lunbercamp restrant. he did a tarsan swing from the banner. The show cycle ended in a parade through town that all the kids could join and the anouncement of Shad 's re-election.
It was featured as one seasons brochure cover. (or maybe the street map handout?)
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj162/dukefan1_2008/sdcm83a1.jpg
I knew this was out there somewhere. Thats Eaton on the wagon, Let by Elmer the marshal (one time Pa Hatfield) and Smiley the baker.

sdcforever

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 02:16:02 PM »
^Thanks for pointing out the photo, Old Guy!  Gotta love SDC humor (on the sign by the wagon):  "Eaton will keep you from starving." :D

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 07:34:19 PM »
Identifying a few more--

"Why do they call them Wild Women?"