Author Topic: Got another survey this week about SDC  (Read 8859 times)

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Got another survey this week about SDC
« on: February 16, 2017, 06:53:14 PM »
Got another survey this week from H2R about the theme of SDC, why do I go, and lots of other questions.

Here's one of them -- Which of the following statements would make you most likely to visit SDC?

1) A world steeped in hometown values, traditions, and a genuine desire to make guests walk away with a lighter heart.

2) With an immersive 1880s theme chiseled out of our great pioneering past, everything from the rides to the food and entertainment honors that spirit of exploration, resourcefulness, and grit.

3)  The surrounding natural beauty seems to transform visitors, bringing families and couples together in a way nowhere else can.

4) None of the above.

Then there was a follow up asking you to explain why you made your choice.

Later on there was a series of questions based on the statement below, and opportunities to write why you felt the way you did about certain things.

What makes this park special is that every visit is an adventure. With an immersive 1880s theme chiseled out of our great pioneering past, everything from the rides to the food and entertainment honors that spirit of exploration, resourcefulness, and grit. World-class roller coasters scream through the hills, in the park's rustic, natural setting. Big, high production shows celebrate the good times with lively entertainment. Demonstrating artisan craftsmen line the streets and squares showing guests how candy, iron, glass, wood and other goods are made by hand. There are even areas just for the little ones to explore. Adventure, exploration, and discovery are everywhere.

Also questions about festivals, how often you visit, what type of passholder are you, and more.

Took a long time to answer since it wasn't just multiple choice.

Anyone else get this survey?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Got another survey this week about SDC
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 09:05:19 PM »
I did not get the survey. I don't want them to advertise the park as a rustic getaway in hills of the Ozarks anymore. It doesn't really fit when the outside road can clearly be seen from the new roller coaster.

I do like that they seem to be taking the theme seriously...or seeing if enough visitors care enough to see if it is worth it to keep it.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 11:26:50 PM »
Yeah as I suspected for a while I think this is another omen that they are wanting to break away or possibly even completely retheme the park away from the 1880's ozarkain/hillbilly themes into something more generic or something new altogether and of course they recognize that the parks original target audience is getting older & attending less or dying off altogether as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see a revival of Celebration City with the 1950's theming brought into a portion of the park since so many elements have already been consolidated into SDC as it is. An example of this multi themed format can also be seen at Dollywood. I think their idea is to eventually make SDC a clone of what Dollywood currently is today.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 11:34:46 PM by sdcfan88 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 08:42:46 AM »
Was this in an Email? or mailed to you?

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 08:56:24 AM »
Yeah as I suspected for a while I think this is another omen that they are wanting to break away or possibly even completely retheme the park away from the 1880's ozarkain/hillbilly themes into something more generic or something new altogether and of course they recognize that the parks original target audience is getting older & attending less or dying off altogether as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see a revival of Celebration City with the 1950's theming brought into a portion of the park since so many elements have already been consolidated into SDC as it is. An example of this multi themed format can also be seen at Dollywood. I think their idea is to eventually make SDC a clone of what Dollywood currently is today.

Agreed....this is an obvious indication that they are looking to add new themes to the park.  Lets face it most of the amusement park attending public are already used to having parks with multiple themes so it wouldn't be that big of a deal to all the non SDC historic fans.

If they do some time of various era's of Ozark history they better start soon.  The generation who'd most enjoy the 50s is dying off right now too.  We may end up getting the Ozarks of the 1970s/80s/90s.  Not sure how appealing that would be....lol
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 09:54:53 AM »
This is going to make me sound like a conspiracy theorist, but honestly, I'm not.

I have gotten these surveys quite often in the past. I have not gotten this one. On EVERY survey that I get from SDC, I comment about how important keeping the 1880's Ozark mountain village theme is to me.

Are the recipients of these surveys completely random, or could they be picking their recipients in order to get the responses they want?

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 10:08:22 AM »
I received the survey several days ago. I was thrilled to finally give my opinion, as I can only think of one other time that i got a survey.

I believe the survey's questions changed depending on which answer you gave for the 1st question. They kept asking about "Adventure" for most of my questions.  What adventure means to me and so forth. Several questions also asked about "Immersive Theming."

It was quite lengthily, and gave me several opportunities to state my opinion, which I appreciated. 
You have a great past just ahead of you.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 10:33:13 AM »
LOL. Some of you have a really bizzare way of interpreting anything the park puts out. Relax, there's no boogie man running around SDC secretly plotting to find the things we enjoy and ruin them for us.

I like all of those statements and think they all apply in different ways (well, other than "none of the above"). I think they pretty much describe what the park has offered for awhile now.

They are just trying to hone their marketing as always. They go with what works. At the end of the day they are always going to go with what makes them the most money. As customers we have a say, but time and people move on and sometimes you don't always get exactly what you want.

I don't see any indication that they are going to add any crazy themes beyond the crazy themes they are already experimenting with. We've always had wild characters running around SDC. Now there's a world expo, a crazy scientist, a daredevil society, a fireman training area, and soon there will be a conman trying to sell a time machine apparently.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 03:32:37 PM »
I received the survey several days ago. I was thrilled to finally give my opinion, as I can only think of one other time that i got a survey.

I believe the survey's questions changed depending on which answer you gave for the 1st question. They kept asking about "Adventure" for most of my questions.  What adventure means to me and so forth. Several questions also asked about "Immersive Theming."

It was quite lengthily, and gave me several opportunities to state my opinion, which I appreciated.

Several of the questions I had to answer were also about adventure and theming in the park. This survey allowed more opinions to be expressed than in other surveys. I mentioned things I liked plus things that bothered me.

And yes, Sanddunerider, the surveys come via email.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:39:47 AM by biscuitcreek »

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 05:33:56 PM »
LOL. Some of you have a really bizzare way of interpreting anything the park puts out. Relax, there's no boogie man running around SDC secretly plotting to find the things we enjoy and ruin them for us.

I like all of those statements and think they all apply in different ways (well, other than "none of the above"). I think they pretty much describe what the park has offered for awhile now.

They are just trying to hone their marketing as always. They go with what works. At the end of the day they are always going to go with what makes them the most money. As customers we have a say, but time and people move on and sometimes you don't always get exactly what you want.

You are naiive if you ask me. There are plenty of people working in the PTB who would love to break away from the 1880s ozark theme. These new people didnt grow up with the park or care about tradition. They want to have a park based on whims and current trends. Its easier, they think, to throw a new theme or ride every few years to tey to get people looking for the next new thing. This is the easy thing to do, which is why its done at so many parks.
I disagree with this and think a huge opportunity is being missed by not going all out in an original theme found no where else and so thorough people are amazed by it (which is what built SDC). Worked then and it can work now. Human nature doesnt change, folks.
The PTB are getting further and further away from original theme. This survey proves they are looking for more reason and justification for doing so, dont believe what shave says. Hes using wishful thinking, i dont blame him.
What we need is a mass email to sdc whether you got the survey or not.
I don't see any indication that they are going to add any crazy themes beyond the crazy themes they are already experimenting with. We've always had wild characters running around SDC. Now there's a world expo, a crazy scientist, a daredevil society, a fireman training area, and soon there will be a conman trying to sell a time machine apparently.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 09:25:38 AM »
If they want to drive me away then get rid of the original theme.  Their problem is not attracting visitors with an 1880s theme- the problem is the number of years passing before they add another thrill ride.  5 years since Outlaw Run before the new coaster goes in.  Sure they put in Fireman's Landing and that was needed for younger guests but the only "thrill ride" of the area is a very under-whelming Firefall.  Hopefully the survey was put out trying to feel how much "theming" they need to put into a new attraction.  Of course most of us will say "go all the way" because that's what makes their attraction so unique to SDC. 
I'm Your Huckleberry

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 09:56:23 AM »
If they want to drive me away then get rid of the original theme.  Their problem is not attracting visitors with an 1880s theme- the problem is the number of years passing before they add another thrill ride.  5 years since Outlaw Run before the new coaster goes in.  Sure they put in Fireman's Landing and that was needed for younger guests but the only "thrill ride" of the area is a very under-whelming Firefall.  Hopefully the survey was put out trying to feel how much "theming" they need to put into a new attraction.  Of course most of us will say "go all the way" because that's what makes their attraction so unique to SDC.

You dont know what you've got till its gone............

The new signs along 76 were the first nail.  Departure from the rustic SDC feel.  You dont have to have stupid Hillbillies to have a 1800 theme.  Look at Knotts berry farm, the money they invested in their older origional rides, there was a reason. 
SDC is slowly making a big mistake.  They are becoming Six Flags and Worlds of Fun. Replacing wood with tan stucco.   You must set your selves apart but they are homogenizing their theme.  Look at the Firemans landing, we got the baloons back, a fair ride from Celebration city and a reduced tree house playground.  The direction the park is taking is a mistep, its common, nothing special.  Trash the Flooded Mine and FITH and its pretty much gone. The treehouse finally hit the ground this winter.  Rides are important but the park contains so much more, theme, setting, atmosphere.  And the more is being chipped away at rather quickly.  I have been to DW.  Nice place and I enjoyed myself but I could tell where SDC existed within the park and I felt like I was looking at our future.  It was the only part of the park that had real flavor.  I enjoyed my time but was it worth repeting?  Not like SDC, I havent been back in 5 years and dont see it on my radar.

I have seen SDC 2.0 its called DW.  Its a bigger market, close to the coast and larger pool of patrons.  SDC is a different market more regional.  I am concerned about what the future holds, simply for selfish reasons.  Are my fears out of line? are they unwarented or have any of you noticed?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 10:49:31 AM by mhguy77 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 04:08:13 PM »
Yes your fears are out of line. 
No the park is not regional - unless that region includes Louisiana and Texas all the way up to Minnesota. 

Usually I just let you guys drone on with your faux outrages but you're beyond ridiculous this time and have taken it to the next level.  My goodness it must be complete hell to feel the need to find something in every change (most for the better) and completely disregard any attempt of enjoying yourself while at the park.

Oh and since you're already worked up - ignore the streamlining of light fixtures in certain areas this season.  I'm sure that'll send some of you to the corner in a fetal position. 
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 06:50:22 PM »
Oh and since you're already worked up - ignore the streamlining of light fixtures in certain areas this season.  I'm sure that'll send some of you to the corner in a fetal position.

Streamlined light fixtures???   :o  PREPOSTEROUS!!!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 06:54:13 PM »
Yes your fears are out of line. 
No the park is not regional - unless that region includes Louisiana and Texas all the way up to Minnesota. 

Usually I just let you guys drone on with your faux outrages but you're beyond ridiculous this time and have taken it to the next level.  My goodness it must be complete hell to feel the need to find something in every change (most for the better) and completely disregard any attempt of enjoying yourself while at the park.

Oh look everybody, the board asshole is back doing what he does best, being high and mighty! Our own little Napoleon to tell us how naughty we all are from his self-anoited throne.
Must suck to be you. Seriously.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.