Author Topic: Interesting concept  (Read 4474 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Interesting concept
« on: February 07, 2017, 08:49:25 AM »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
Re: Interesting concept
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 03:46:09 PM »
If done right, I can see it being a big hit.  We really liked the "drive in" diner, but the prices for the food (which was generally ok, but nothing great) were high.  Charge a decent admission fee per person for the movie, show a decent movie at that, and have reasonably priced food and I think it can be a huge hit.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 03:54:36 PM »
Interesting..

thats a lot of wasted square feet..  80 cars? average 4 per car, 320 seats, + the 100 seats in the back...  only 420 seats? 

take a lot of movies/food to pay for 6.5 mil and expenses...

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 03:32:57 AM »
They're advertising this on their website as a "theme park" experience. I'm reading/looking at their website, and I gotta say.... I SO wanna go to this when it opens!!!

https://augustmoondrivein.com/about/

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 12:58:25 PM »
Not at all interested. Most of these concept restaurants are very unappealing. What ever happened to a nice quiet dinner with intelligent conversation and human interaction. I guess people feel the need to be entertained constantly. Most of my favorite memories are of my family going out to eat in a unhurried, quiet environment and just talking a enjoying each others company. We still do that. I am glad my children grew up to appreciate it.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 04:38:43 PM »
Not at all interested. Most of these concept restaurants are very unappealing. What ever happened to a nice quiet dinner with intelligent conversation and human interaction. I guess people feel the need to be entertained constantly. Most of my favorite memories are of my family going out to eat in a unhurried, quiet environment and just talking a enjoying each others company. We still do that. I am glad my children grew up to appreciate it.

I would for sure do it,  But I am the kind of guy that looks at expenses and overhead...  can you imagine the labor involoved cleaning out each one of those cars after a show, popcorn, spilled pop and so on...   

I like the idea, but dont see how it would pay for itself very fast.. if at all with only 420 seats.......... ??

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 08:15:02 PM »
I would for sure do it,  But I am the kind of guy that looks at expenses and overhead...  can you imagine the labor involoved cleaning out each one of those cars after a show, popcorn, spilled pop and so on...   

I like the idea, but dont see how it would pay for itself very fast.. if at all with only 420 seats.......... ??

I am with you Sand, the numbers are not there unless this is going to be a high - high dollar evening out. 

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 05:03:30 AM »
The article says that movies will cost between $8 to $20, depending on which seats you choose. That seems to be pretty much on par with other movie theaters that offer general as well as premiere seating.

Just for comparison to an actual drive-in, the double-feature drive-in in Independence charges $10 per adult, but kids 11 and under are free.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 05:08:22 AM by Joy »

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 07:03:47 AM »

A total miss on my part. For some reason even after reading the article I was thinking this was a dining venue. Maybe it was because the OP compared it to Disney's Sci-Fi  drive in. The above comments were geared toward a dining experience and not a movie house.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 07:33:42 AM »
Something I wasnt allowing for.... 
Since it will be an enclosed building 
they probably will be able to shut off the lights in the afternoon and have a show... 
I was thinking 1 show, after dark, low seating count.... 
But IF they have the ability to have multiple shows a day,  that could make the people count higher,
And properly promoted, it would make an interesting place for parties, birthday, receptions, whatever....

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 03:00:37 PM »
Something I wasnt allowing for.... 
Since it will be an enclosed building 
they probably will be able to shut off the lights in the afternoon and have a show... 
I was thinking 1 show, after dark, low seating count.... 
But IF they have the ability to have multiple shows a day,  that could make the people count higher,
And properly promoted, it would make an interesting place for parties, birthday, receptions, whatever....

Exactly.  Every single showing would be a drive in/ dining movie experience, all day long.  So they could do several movies a day.  Then when if you figure in a lunch, mid afternoon, a couple of dinner movies, and a late night- all in a drive in under the stars setting, you can be talking about some pretty good crowds.  I think it would be a lot of fun- especially if you'd like that atmosphere at a time of year or in weather that normally wouldn't allow it.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 08:50:33 PM »
They also mention on their site that there will be space for them to have live music performances before and after the movies.