Author Topic: New HFE Concept possible for Orlando?  (Read 4457 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
New HFE Concept possible for Orlando?
« on: January 18, 2017, 01:53:07 PM »
Artegon Mall is closing except for Bass Pro, Cinema, Ron Jon. Rumor is potential buy is Herschend. Their concept:

Dolly's Mt. Christmas Ski Resort and Lodge.

•3000 family suites with gas fireplaces.

Christmastown:

•Celebrate Christmas every day
•Indoor Ski Resort and Tubing Runs
•Ice Skating in Christmastown Square
•hourly snowfall
•Christmas themed snacks, hot chocolate, and adult beverages.

Mt. Christmas Hot Springs Swimmin' Hole

•Indoor Water Park

Ya think that wouldn't be a bad ideal for (cough, cough) the Celebration City property.

Would kill the no resort issue plus tie into OTC and be a year round attraction.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: New HFE Concept possible for Orlando?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 09:31:19 PM »
I think it's a mistake for them to try to enter the Orlando market (if the rumor is true).  Disney and Universal have a choke hold on the market.  Universal has positioned itself as one of the big boys and has in fact stopped being part of a multi-pass with SeaWorld and Busch Gardens.  2016 was the final year of this partnership and I expect Universal moving towards more of a "keep them on property" format much like what Disney does. 

SeaWorld and Busch Gardens have quickly been moved to a lower tier (one could argue to more of a "regional park" feel).  Even Legoland has a bigger draw now than those two parks with its niche market.  It will be interesting to see how SeaWorld and Busch respond (if they can). 
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 08:14:52 AM »
According to Screamscape, an indoor/outdoor waterpark for the Opryland Hotel is back on. Wonder if it is again going to be Dolly/HFE affiliated?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 08:39:04 AM »
According to Screamscape, an indoor/outdoor waterpark for the Opryland Hotel is back on. Wonder if it is again going to be Dolly/HFE affiliated?

From what I've read it is strictly Gaylord doing that project.  There's supposed to be a presser today so we'll probably know more after that.  I just feel if Dolly was involved they'd be really driving home that fact already. 
SWOOSH

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 04:11:39 PM »
Wow, I just cannot see this going over in Orlando at all. I would have thought they learned a few things from the failed Dixie Stampede project. As for the CC site, I can think of about a dozen different things that would be more appealing than a year round Christmas theme.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 04:44:31 PM »
Wow, I just cannot see this going over in Orlando at all. I would have thought they learned a few things from the failed Dixie Stampede project. As for the CC site, I can think of about a dozen different things that would be more appealing than a year round Christmas theme.

Dixie Stampede in Orland was not a failed project.  It was a very profitable venture and was doing fine.  But the outlet mall next to the property offered a ridiculous amount of money to buy the land with the intention to expand- a price they simply couldn't pass up.  There were actively looking for another plot of land to build a new one as the economy tanked, the housing bubble burst bad in Florida and a number of other issues arose.  Seeing all of that I'm sure contributed to their decision to not rebuild.  And I'm sure the closing of the similar show Arabian Nights also added in.  While the outlet mall owners took a huge hit on buying the land that they never did make use of.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 10:34:25 PM »
Can't find anything about this online after a cursory search. Was this just a concept pitch sent out to people?

It would be very interesting to see, and I'm sure it could be successful in Orlando. My understanding of indoor ski slopes is that they can be very capital intensive though...

I doubt they'd go with the Christmas theme though... maybe something winter themed, then at Christmas time they can go all out.

I don't think they'd break even in Branson unless the indoor ski concept was much smaller and mostly included as a gimmick to add to a resort.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 07:24:28 AM »

Dixie Stampede in Orland was not a failed project.  It was a very profitable venture and was doing fine.  But the outlet mall next to the property offered a ridiculous amount of money to buy the land with the intention to expand- a price they simply couldn't pass up.  There were actively looking for another plot of land to build a new one as the economy tanked, the housing bubble burst bad in Florida and a number of other issues arose.  Seeing all of that I'm sure contributed to their decision to not rebuild.  And I'm sure the closing of the similar show Arabian Nights also added in.  While the outlet mall owners took a huge hit on buying the land that they never did make use of.

Totally  different information than I was told from someone in the know at the time. But, It could be true. There are so many different rumors about things from many different sources. I was told Dixie just could not compete with the other dinner shows in that market which was over built. To me it just would not make sense to sell for a short term gain instead of continuing the show for long term continuous profit.
But, Like I said my information could have been false. No one will really know.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 07:31:17 AM »
Can't find anything about this online after a cursory search. Was this just a concept pitch sent out to people?

It would be very interesting to see, and I'm sure it could be successful in Orlando. My understanding of indoor ski slopes is that they can be very capital intensive though...

I doubt they'd go with the Christmas theme though... maybe something winter themed, then at Christmas time they can go all out.

I don't think they'd break even in Branson unless the indoor ski concept was much smaller and mostly included as a gimmick to add to a resort.

A poster at Orlando United that generally knows his stuff posted it. Said they were also looking at Myrtle Beach, home of the great idea but bad location and failed Hard Rock Park. Also a Dixie Stampede location.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 08:23:41 AM »

A poster at Orlando United that generally knows his stuff posted it. Said they were also looking at Myrtle Beach, home of the great idea but bad location and failed Hard Rock Park. Also a Dixie Stampede location.

It's actually Pirates there in MB.  Hasn't been DS for several years. 
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 09:04:46 AM »
Swoosh have you seen the pirate show? I always wondered how that turned out.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 09:27:25 PM »
Swoosh have you seen the pirate show? I always wondered how that turned out.

Nope. I'll be honest, the beach there always demands my attention more than any of the touristy stuff.  It's usually just a day trip from CO,SC on my way to Carowinds
SWOOSH