Author Topic: Big expansion of Promise Land Zoo  (Read 3932 times)

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Big expansion of Promise Land Zoo
« on: January 18, 2017, 09:05:41 AM »
The Promise Land Zoo on SOTH Expressway has purchased the old amphitheater and adjacent land on Little Pete Road. Will be used for a big expansion of the zoo. Many more details in this article from Branson Tri-Lakes:

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_27b1f972-dcf0-11e6-8d57-77ae0e5aa77a.html

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: Big expansion of Promise Land Zoo
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 10:27:11 AM »
I saw many animals mentioned there. I hope they get gorillas and orangutans. They are going from 1 of the smallest zoos in america to maybe 1 of the biggest. A few times I drove on SOTH I looked over into the woods and wished someone would put something back there. Sounds like a huge expansion mix of OKC Zoo and the Drive thru in Gentry, AR. Maybe now it will be worth the money for me to go.

They did say, start speculating.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 02:38:48 PM »
They will, by no means, be the largest zoo in America.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 03:26:36 PM »
That is a huge piece of property.. I am actually surprised it is all connected and reaches as little petes road, AND over to the old red roof mall..  WOW..!  lots of ground..   Lots of dollars...   

LOL!!  being that big, it may have been a good location for a big water park ::) ::),
or mountain coaster :-\ :-\,
or more ziplines :o :o

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 06:51:53 PM »
The article states It's only a total of 74 acres when you include the new addition...correct?  That's not even close to the biggest zoo in the u.s.  It's not even the biggest in the state.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 08:27:41 PM »
The article states It's only a total of 74 acres when you include the new addition...correct?  That's not even close to the biggest zoo in the u.s.  It's not even the biggest in the state.

That's how I read it.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 09:56:48 PM »
Regardless, this is a massive development for this business considering it was such a tiny operation. This increases it's land area by what, over tenfold? Not that all of it will be used, but that is tremendous for a business so close to the heart of Branson. There are a few of these random big chunks of real estate that have been underused for so long yet are surrounded by continuous development. I'm glad to see this one be used for the best possible purpose.

I think this has the potential to really grow into being another signature attraction for the area. Not that people are going to fly in for another zoo, but it certainly adds a major note for people planning on spending a week or getting a time share.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 08:28:51 AM »
I think this has the potential to really grow into being another signature attraction for the area. Not that people are going to fly in for another zoo, but it certainly adds a major note for people planning on spending a week or getting a time share.

The parking lot at the zoo now is always half full or more.!  It is a good draw for all ages,,

I have not been yet, but intend to go.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 09:21:49 AM »

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 01:50:45 PM »
Good for them. Hopefully they will be able to incorporate all the landscape and natural features without destroying the trees and natural beauty. I probably never will go since I have a world class zoo in my back yard. But I hope it is a success.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 02:04:29 PM »
Looks like this is going to be a great expansion for them.  I always thought they were rather high priced for what they offered, but with this expansion and not raising prices that comes more in line with what I'd be willing to pay.  Nice they are going to be able to build on their successes and do so much more.

Looking forward to when it's all done.  We will likely make a point to drop in and visit.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 03:00:38 PM »
Doesn't sound like this group realizes that the PLZ already has a 'main' location in Eagle Rock, Mo  (just north of Eureka Springs) with a full drive through experience (like Gentry).  I took my family there last year and it was a lot better than I expected with a wide and very good variety of animals.

I would assume (have no inside knowledge) that they are planning to move their main operations and/or share the animals with a new larger Branson site.  Makes me wonder about what the future of the Eagle Rock/Eureka Springs attraction will be?  Might be a good time to make a deal with the Turpentine creek refuge to see if they can show some of their tigers and bears too.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 03:49:02 PM »
The eagle rock location is 120 acres strong...  so that is 1/3 more bigger than the branson location "after" it is finished..

I dont think there will be much difference at the original location. Eagle rock is a set location, obviously successful and not competition to Branson location..