Author Topic: Weather Jan-2017  (Read 4092 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Weather Jan-2017
« on: January 13, 2017, 07:58:25 AM »
Hang on tight.  Everybody be safe, stay warm.    They are predicting a NASTY weekend...

So far today already schools closings and we dont even have clouds in the sky yet,,,

Missouri new governer declared state of emegency, so I think all state office are closed..

I did what i could to prep for it..  LOL.   filled up the 4X4's, started generator, extra fuel for it, meat and taters..  Bring it on!!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Weather Jan-2017
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 08:43:37 AM »
Yeah every school up here in Columbia / Jeff City and small surrounding are out.  We (and the public schools) called off for today around noon yesterday here in Columbia.  Nothing yet, but they said around 9-10am is when it will start. 
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 11:02:42 AM »
For us south of Springfield, it's been pretty much a wash out.  We had a light glaze this morning, but that is melting off now.  Branson was about the same as us, maybe even a bit less.  Springfield had a decent coating, but it is also starting to melt.  A couple of power outages due to falling trees, but that's about it.

My kids' college in Springfield has been out of power since about 8am, but they are saying they should have it back on in the next couple of hours.  Sounds like it's saving the worst for those of you up north.

EDIT- LOL and immediately as I post that my kid texts me to tell me their power is on.  :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 11:04:22 AM by sirwillow »
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 01:25:57 PM »
Southeast Missouri I got a glaze on the trees and deck. Roads are clear. Schools jumped the gun last night before anything even started hitting. What the heck is up with that. Then the typical doom and gloom local TV guys calling it a winter storm. I laughed this morning as they had news crews out all over the place trying to find ice and couldn't find any. People are becoming weather wimps.

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 02:23:27 PM »
Here in Northern WI, we had -25 overnight after 3 days of off and on blizzard weather. At least it's sunny and only -6. Keep warm down there.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 04:05:29 PM »
as of 4:00 this afternoon. no moisture in air here yet..  18 wind chill

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 10:45:42 PM »
Southeast Missouri I got a glaze on the trees and deck. Roads are clear. Schools jumped the gun last night before anything even started hitting. What the heck is up with that. Then the typical doom and gloom local TV guys calling it a winter storm. I laughed this morning as they had news crews out all over the place trying to find ice and couldn't find any. People are becoming weather wimps.

It may have seemed they jumped, but that light glaze turns those roads very slick- not good for school buses.  In our areas the roads looked clear, but I watched a couple of cars have a very hard time at the intersection by our home- and we've got a good street.  Many in our area are on hills with a lot of curves.  Again, not good for school buses or kids.  Then think about the staff that has to drive in to work, many from areas that may have a lot more ice than you do.  Several of ours come from Springfield, which did have a lot of issues this morning.

I would much rather than called it off and played it safe then tried to have school- even with the light mess- and risk a much worse storm and the chaos that could have come from that.  After one local school lost two teachers to wrecks in the 2007 storm, when they should have canceled and didn't until it was to late, no one around here wants that repeated.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 11:05:40 PM »
We got hit pretty hard in Central MO.  We have power but the roads are still very slick. Supposed to get more tomorrow
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 08:07:25 AM »
No ice on trees or power lines here, checked local hiways all clear for now, paring lots slick but manageable., we missed the first round.. see what happens this afternoon. :-\.

Be safe if you go out! :D

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 08:29:29 AM »
Round 2 hit northern MO hard.  Most of MO is dark blue - purple on road conditions right now.
SWOOSH

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 10:56:01 PM »
It's coming our way (NW Iowa) early Monday until early Tuesday.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 08:19:55 AM »
Still ok here near topeka ks,   32 degrees, light mist, no ice.  see what the day brings..

still think its humorous they were so worried about ice they delayed football game..

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 11:47:41 AM »
Central Illinois is doing okay; slick yesterday and spotty today, but nothing like what it could've been.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 12:53:30 PM »
We are above freezing here in Central MO.  Probably a good thing too because it's been drizzling all day. 
SWOOSH