Author Topic: Season parking pass  (Read 4879 times)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Season parking pass
« on: January 03, 2017, 06:04:51 PM »
I just remembered I have not bought my season passes for 17 yet.  In doing so it says they have already sold out of season parking passes.  WOW, I don't think I have seen that before but then again I usually buy mine in December. I have not parked in the general parking in a while although that is where we used to always park.  This sort of sucks!  Maybe I should skip 17 and wait until 18 when they have the new ride open maybe.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: Season parking pass
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 07:34:13 PM »
Did you really just say you are going to miss a whole year of SDC just because your car cant be closer to the entrance? Boy, I have never parked anywhere except the free parking lots. It is not bad at all. Not everybody has $12 to park up close every single time and it is not neccessary. I will never pay for it and I will never buy the $7 season pass preferred parking mirror hanger because it is $7 down the drain. You get a ride from the free lot gazebo stop to the entrance. It is cold waiting in line for 3-10 minutes in Winter and cold on the trams, but that is why you bring a big coat. It is not that long of a ride, maybe 5 minutes and you get a nice view of WF. If you get lucky to ride on a bus, you get AC/heat. There is usually a non-moving line for preferred parking, which I rarely see for free parking. So if you think that you will just "throw in the towel" for SDC in 2017, then I must ask my dear boy, are you a true SDC FAN? I feel like an old man telling a young boy, "back in my day...."
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 07:42:00 PM by Dewayne »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 07:52:00 PM »
Did you really just say you are going to miss a whole year of SDC just because your car cant be closer to the entrance? Boy, I have never parked anywhere except the free parking lots. It is not bad at all. Not everybody has $12 to park up close every single time and it is not neccessary. I will never pay for it and I will never buy the $7 season pass preferred parking mirror hanger because it is $7 down the drain. You get a ride from the free lot gazebo stop to the entrance. It is cold waiting in line for 3-10 minutes in Winter and cold on the trams, but that is why you bring a big coat. It is not that long of a ride, maybe 5 minutes and you get a nice view of WF. If you get lucky to ride on a bus, you get AC/heat. There is usually a non-moving line for preferred parking, which I rarely see for free parking. So if you think that you will just "throw in the towel" for SDC in 2017, then I must ask my dear boy, are you a true SDC FAN? I feel like an old man telling a young boy, "back in my day...."

LOL.  DeWayne... tell us how you really feel about the parking pass... :)

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 08:13:49 PM »
Is DeWayne the artist formerly known as Laroy?  :)

I'm Your Huckleberry

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 08:29:37 PM »
I dont know but to tell the truth he is right. Its not that bad unless its cold as can be winter and you are in a long line.
THey do keep it moving as long as you get there early.  But I do park up front anyway.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 08:45:51 PM »
^^ Yes.

I agree that it would be silly to skip 2017 for that though. There's a lot to enjoy this season, and who knows what you'll miss out on if you skip.

I also actually agree that the "preferred" parking is kind of a rip off at SDC in particular. If you get there early and are actually able to park in the North end of the lot, then sure, you get a tiny benefit of being that much closer and having an easier time walking back if you want. It's ridiculous later on though when the lot fills up and you are way in the back next to the free parking anyway. Since they took out the second preferred pickup at the bottom of the hill, you have to walk half a mile to the tram stop anyway - might as well walk the whole way to the park. I guess it's worth it on the days they send people out to the bank though maybe...

I'm just wondering how long it will be before this success pushes them to expand the borders of the paid area. Just like the trailblazer pass program has slowly expanded, so will this and everything else that can be used to nickle and dime people. It's been everywhere else for ages, but it's been great to brag about SDC while it lasts.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 06:46:42 AM »
I have only paid for parking 1 time since the late 1960's and that was on a 70 degree day on a Saturday in December. Other than that I see no benefit from it. We always get there early and get a great spot. As for skipping all of 2017 I skipped all of 2016 and I lived. Not sure if I will go in 2017 or not. My reason is just a lack of new attractions and things to do. I totally enjoyed exploring new opportunities in 2016. But I would not let parking keep me awy.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 12:37:34 PM »
I ended up with preferred parking season pass this year for the first time....it was gifted to me as I wouldn't have got it on my own.  It does have a few benefits like usually have a shorter wait to park on really busy mornings and not having to wait on trams to come in and out.  But it's still a good trek from that lot to the gate and I never really saw buses at the running to the station.  I got caught way down the hill right next to the free parking one busy day and almost walked down to the free parking station to catch a ride (since it was 1/2 the walking distance as the gate was from there).  You guys are right....if you get to the park early enough to get close to a station and don't mind the possible waits on the shuttles...it's not a huge upgrade.  The kids where a little bummed about not getting to ride the shuttles/tram/bus too.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 02:42:23 PM »
To me the visit is not complete without spelling that propane burn. :)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 06:17:05 PM »
Well I did end up getting passes again this year and will be there opening day till Friday.  I just like to get the preferred parking season pass which comes in handy on days when the line of cars getting into the free parking is long, I can usually get in and parked and into the park much quicker.  Last year was the only year we actually did the parking pass and I guess I got used to having it and not having to wait on the tram.

Clint F

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I visit Silver Dollar City every other weekend!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 02:18:30 PM »
I got the Preferred Parking pass with my Season Pass again this year also.  I get parked and into the City much faster that way.  I was bummed when they took out the tram stop at the bottom of the hill for the preferred lot.  Before, I would park right next to that stop, even when I got there so early there were no other cars around.  That way, when we left, our car would be right there next to the stop, and no walking to it!  Now, we just park at the north end of the lot and walk up to the turnstiles.  We've got two strong arms, and two strong legs.  We can walk. 

I will say...I used to pay the $6 each time anyway.  Then they started with adding it to your season pass, and I am all in!  Once we get going, we go about every other weekend, so it's a bargain for us!  ;D
I Love SDC!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 12:35:37 PM »
We should all just be thankful they have free parking in the first place! Most places you go, like Six Flags, it's the same price ($20) whether you're right next to the handicap lot or parked in the grass all the way at the back. And there are no trams or busses. Just good old fashioned walking.  :-[
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 02:41:05 PM »
^Long time no hear!  Welcome back Tiffanylynnt!

I'm Your Huckleberry

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 12:53:19 PM »
^Long time no hear!  Welcome back Tiffanylynnt!

Thanks!!! It's good to be back!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 05:25:39 PM »
Yes we are lucky they still allow free parking.  I just got used to the season pass preferred parking last year because we could get into the park faster.  It was worth it for us too because we are usually up there at least once a month.  We will be there 3 days this week, hopefully the cold weather keeps everyone away.