Author Topic: Christmas Lights  (Read 13301 times)

LoveSDC

• View Profile
Christmas Lights
« on: October 18, 2008, 04:56:40 PM »

I am sorry if this is a mundane question for this forum. I visit frequently to find out more info on one of my favorite places in the world! When do employees start putting up all those lights and how long does it usually take? Thanks!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Lights
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 05:11:59 PM »
I once heard August but it could actually be even sooner. I do know that it takes them all the way up to the opening of the Christmas Festival to get all the lights up though. It's a lot of work.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

LoveSDC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 06:51:03 PM »
I can only imagine. Last year when my family and I were there, I paid special attention to how they were put up. They were so level! Is there one person who oversees it all or does everyone just kind of "do their thing"?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 08:18:55 PM »
There's a team of about six guys that spend something like 8 weeks or more doing nothing but put up Christmas lights. Conductor Sam had a great blog post about it last year, but it's long gone now. We have some old photos somewhere around from last year's Christmas preparations; I'll have to try and find them.

I've noticed the lights are starting to really take a tole on some of the buildings. The train station is pretty much covered in holes from the staples.

sdcforever

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 09:01:36 PM »
^I know they were already putting them up in early September this year.  It must get really tiring year after year for those who put up the lights and take them down.  You mentioned the toll on the buildings; I wonder if they've toyed with the idea of leaving some of them up year-round on buildings like the train station, that are showing a lot of wear and tear from the staples?

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 09:58:35 PM »
I've never visited SDC outside of late Spring, Summer, or early Autumn, so I have to ask: how does all this lighting fit with the theme? I know the obvious answer, which is that it doesn't fit with 1880 at all, but does anyone care?

sdcforever

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 11:27:04 PM »
^Obviously the lighting and the "technicolor" Christmas tree doesn't fit with the theme.  The rest of the Old Time Christmas festivities (the shows and music) does for the most part.  The tree and lighting are a big draw, and I don't think most people care that it doesn't fit the 1880's theming.  Old Time Christmas is one of the most, if not the most, popular festivals for SDC.

LoveSDC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 04:46:14 AM »
I agree that the lights do not fit in with the theme of the park and that they are taking a toll on several buildings. I have to say, though, that the lights are incredible. In fact, that is why I brave the elements. I love Christmas and my kids say I go into a little trance when we go to the park during that time. All that seems to come out of my mouth is "look at that" when we go. Except when I am on the Powderkeg and that gets a more vocal response! We are going in mid-November this year and we can't wait.

DocSpeleo

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 08:26:31 AM »
Also, the park wasn't built to be a dark park... so at night those extra lights really help light up the place... during moonlight madness i quickly found this out while walking around... it's dark! when there are no christmas lights lighting the way.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 02:19:08 PM »
I guess they could hang candles in the trees, but can you imagine lighting them all?  And to try to do a syncopated music show with candles would be impossible.

I don't think Christmas trees themselves were in vogue during the time period, so the trees would all have to go, as well.  Of course, if we think about it, Christmas is timeless...
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 12:21:07 PM »
I could have sworn some of them were up all year this year...

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 08:22:09 PM »
Yes, Christmas lights are not 1880s, but they are part of the magic of Christmas. I can allow them; they are reminiscent of candle light. Christmas trees were a part of a Victorian Christmas thanks to Prince Albert. 

sdcforever

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 09:19:40 PM »
^^I do love the Christmas lights!  Thanks for the photo, sonthew! :)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 05:11:39 PM »
Christmas trees were a part of a Victorian Christmas thanks to Prince Albert.

Yes, but they were not brought into the American tradition until much later.  Having said that, they must, along with the lights, be a part of the SDC tradition.  Without the trees and lights, the park would have virtually no unique feel during the holiday season.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating