Author Topic: 12/16/16 -- No Dickens performance, few rides  (Read 6383 times)

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
12/16/16 -- No Dickens performance, few rides
« on: December 17, 2016, 09:18:40 PM »
Went to SDC on Friday 12/16. No Dickens performances due to the large number of folks in the cast who were sick but you didn't learn this until you went to the Opera House and then went to a nearby food stand to get the scoop. There were no updates on the app. And due to low temps, most rides were not running so SDC sold $40 tickets yesterday (there was an update on the app about that). We were fortunate to get into the saloon show which we thought was better than the past couple of years.

Just heard that the park closed before 6 today due to the weather conditons. Wonder if it will open on Sunday?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: 12/16/16 -- No Dickens performance, few rides
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 10:00:12 PM »
Yeah today must have sucked for those who couldn't rearrange their plans, but the weather does what it does. Doubt it opens tomorrow with it being well below freezing all day.

I'm sure the PTB are super unhappy that this polar blast picked a weekend. It'll be back the the 50's pretty quick, but this will hurt the December numbers.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 08:29:17 AM »
just checked the numbers for sat attendence, 6800 people...  Have not been aboe to verify open or closed yet today (sunday). 

However 2 of the guys I know there that do shows, are posting on FB, about not looking forward to working today in the cold..... :-\ :-\

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 09:15:05 AM »
The facebook says they are open from 1:00 to 9:00 today.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 01:08:56 PM »
Was just wondering how often in the past SDC has had to cancel Dickens, It's a Wonderful Life, or any other show due to illness of the cast?

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 11:11:22 AM »
No Dickens performances due to the large number of folks in the cast who were sick but you didn't learn this until you went to the Opera House and then went to a nearby food stand to get the scoop.
That's really bad business on SDC part.  That's like ordering a #5 at McDonalds and getting back to work with your sack to find no meat in your bun.  You should know that before you pay for the product.  I have found SDC not posting closed rides etc. in the past.  If you are going to omit a main part of your product you have to warn the customer before they give you their money. 

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 11:51:03 AM »
No Dickens performances due to the large number of folks in the cast who were sick but you didn't learn this until you went to the Opera House and then went to a nearby food stand to get the scoop.
That's really bad business on SDC part.  That's like ordering a #5 at McDonalds and getting back to work with your sack to find no meat in your bun.  You should know that before you pay for the product.  I have found SDC not posting closed rides etc. in the past.  If you are going to omit a main part of your product you have to warn the customer before they give you their money.

It's a no win situation for the park....customers will be mad if they close....some will be mad if they open with no rides and still charge full price....if you lower the price others will be mad that it's 'unfair' because blah...blah...blah or they would have come if they'd known or that it then becomes an expectation that the price can change due to blah....blah....blah.  All of which are valid reasons to be upset with the park.

You're right that the best solution to it is to blow out communication about what will be open....but that is risky for the park too because it could cause a dramatic drop in turnout for both single paying customers and the  passholders who they need to come and spend money at the park.

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

IASTClone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 03:04:41 PM »

Weather Guidelines

http://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/~/link.aspx?_id=3B8C51D55A06456CB55E381582B6B09D&_z=z

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 05:55:26 PM »
Weather Guidelines

http://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/~/link.aspx?_id=3B8C51D55A06456CB55E381582B6B09D&_z=z

I CLone I think this is a different issue.  Not running the rides is all good and well.  The issue here is comunication with the customer.  I would be very upset if I had brought someone to the park in the cold and chugged all the way down the hill to see the "big" show to find out it was closed.   That has nothing to do with the weather just very bad comunication.  Someone earlier had said that its a catch 22 for the park and it is but you better tell me before I start forward in the park if a main attraction is closed.  Not informing your customer in that situation is frankly not honest and forthcoming.  God help the folks in that Guest Relations booth.  I bet they got many earfulls.  Free tickets are nice but it does not always the evening or time wasted.  Sometimes you cant help situations that come up suddenly and they are what they are but if the cast is sick you better bust out word and print up a sign or have somebody out front telling people at the gate.  I have been there on a cold day and you are really limited, I would not reel honest selling a ticket without saying something to the folks handing me the money.  I think if you go in on a crappy day like that they should just charge you full but give you a pass good even during the next year.  It would only make sence to try to get some folks in the gates to eat what they baked so they can make a little cash back.  I understand not lowering the price but if they can get you in there too spend a little cash..... then give you a BAF.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 06:04:28 PM »
3100 people,   sunday attendence...

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 07:37:48 PM »
As I said the park app had an update that said SDC was selling tickets for $40 on Friday due to weather affecting rides. But there was no mention in the update of no performances of Dickens for the day. The signs were still up at the booth selling show lovers tickets for $10 on Friday. Because we are season pass holders we didn't go to guest relations. Unfortunately we won't be able to get back to SDC before the end of the season.

But how many times has Dickens or It's a Wonderful Life been canceled due to illness? Most major productions have understudies. Someone mentioned that one of the saloon shows was also canceled this weekend.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 08:49:29 PM »
Meh, you get what you get when you come to a theme park on a weekend where the weather hardly gets above freezing. That was very abnormal weather for us... I think they probably would have been better off just calling the whole weekend off. I'm impressed that 3100 people showed up on the coldest day of the year.

If this was just some random day and a big show was closed without warning, it might be a different story.

Edit: Doh! I see now that you said Friday, I thought you were talking about Saturday. That is weird then... usually they are more up front about these things in normal conditions.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 09:51:27 PM by shavethewhales »

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 11:48:50 AM »
Surely, they would have known that very early in the day?  Even a Facebook post would have helped for families coming to see the show.  Difficult situation for all; it must have really been an emergency to have to call off the show as I'm sure there are understudies.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 04:50:17 PM »
I would have thought their sunny day guarantee would have applied here.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 10:00:58 PM »
The normal actor who plays Bob Crachet had a medical emergency involving his wife.  They did not have an understudy for him at that time so they did not have any choice.  I know most of you were unaware of the situation but have a heart.  He and his wife had to spend Christmas Day in the hospital due to it.  I have been away so I have not heard an update on her but pretty sure it is no longer critical. 
SWOOSH