Author Topic: Last Days of the season  (Read 4654 times)

NicoleT

• SDC fan
    • View Profile
Last Days of the season
« on: December 03, 2016, 04:26:15 PM »
what are crowds typically like the last 2 days of the season?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Last Days of the season
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 01:32:55 PM »
The nicer the weather,   the BIGGER the crowd.!!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 08:31:01 PM »
The days after Christmas have apparently become huge days for the park. So much so that they are expanding the season all the way to New Years next year. Lots of timeshare/condo people in the area, so it makes sense.

Still always a good time.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 10:04:10 PM »
Last year was dead the last few days because of rain. There were less than 1000 people at the City the last Sunday of last season. Attendance all depends on the weather.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 07:19:49 AM »
How is the week before Christmas?

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 08:42:23 AM »
How is the week before Christmas?

The two weeks around Christmas are very dependent on the weather.  If it's wet, then crowds will be light.  If it's nice, then there will be huge crowds.  Put simply, on a day that you would probably like to go, so will everyone else.  Cold won't keep them away unless it's windy and bitter cold (think highs below freezing).  But if there's not something in the weather that is actively driving people away from the park, then they will be there and be there in force.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 12:13:00 PM »
Something happened on our last visit as we were exiting.

We were between the Hospitality House and the Eva and Delilah's when a man approached us, asking us if we were season pass holders or if we had bought a ticket for the day.  When we said "season pass", he just shrugged and thanked us anyway.  When we asked him why he wanted to know, he explained that they had bought day passes, but had lost one.  They wanted to upgrade to a season pass and wondered if anyone had a pass they could use to upgrade.

Perhaps naively, we asked where he lost the ticket(s) and started to look for them.  He dismissed the possibility.  Still not thinking, I suggested that he explain his situation at the booth and see what the employees suggested.  Again, he really just wanted us to leave him alone.

Of course, later, I suspected this was a scam, but I don't have the wherewithal to understand how it would work.  I'd like to think HFE has a system that wouldn't allow a scam, but I'm not sure.  If he got in on a Bring-a-Friend to begin with, I suppose he would need a regular day ticket to make the upgrade.  If he got in with a season pass, he could upgrade from a day ticket, but his information would already be in the system as a season pass holder (though I guess he could use a different name).  If we truly was a day ticket purchaser on the day he approached us, then he might have been legitimate with his request, but his behavior, in retrospect, suggested otherwise.

Thoughts?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 04:00:14 PM »
Something happened on our last visit as we were exiting.

We were between the Hospitality House and the Eva and Delilah's when a man approached us, asking us if we were season pass holders or if we had bought a ticket for the day.  When we said "season pass", he just shrugged and thanked us anyway.  When we asked him why he wanted to know, he explained that they had bought day passes, but had lost one.  They wanted to upgrade to a season pass and wondered if anyone had a pass they could use to upgrade.

Perhaps naively, we asked where he lost the ticket(s) and started to look for them.  He dismissed the possibility.  Still not thinking, I suggested that he explain his situation at the booth and see what the employees suggested.  Again, he really just wanted us to leave him alone.

Of course, later, I suspected this was a scam, but I don't have the wherewithal to understand how it would work.  I'd like to think HFE has a system that wouldn't allow a scam, but I'm not sure.  If he got in on a Bring-a-Friend to begin with, I suppose he would need a regular day ticket to make the upgrade.  If he got in with a season pass, he could upgrade from a day ticket, but his information would already be in the system as a season pass holder (though I guess he could use a different name).  If we truly was a day ticket purchaser on the day he approached us, then he might have been legitimate with his request, but his behavior, in retrospect, suggested otherwise.

Thoughts?

My niece lost her 2 day for the price of one ticket, and I was able to get it replaced for her at Hospitality.  That was a few years ago, and I don't even remember how I did it.  Is upgrading a one day ticket less than the cost of a season pass (I'm assuming without out perks?)

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 07:12:06 PM »
If you bought a 1 day ticket or better, you can upgrade to a season pass for about $60 or less. As for bring a friend passes, I have always wondered if that would be the same to them as a 1 day ticket, like $60 free towards a season pass, but they will probably make them pay full price.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 08:05:11 PM »
If you bought a 1 day ticket or better, you can upgrade to a season pass for about $60 or less. As for bring a friend passes, I have always wondered if that would be the same to them as a 1 day ticket, like $60 free towards a season pass, but they will probably make them pay full price.

BAF is not considered a 1 day pass..

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 03:26:35 PM »
That's what I think this guy might have done.  I think he got in on a BAF and couldn't use it to upgrade, so he was looking to nefariously save some bucks.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 05:40:32 PM »
That's what I think this guy might have done.  I think he got in on a BAF and couldn't use it to upgrade, so he was looking to nefariously save some bucks.

yep!  sounds right.. ::) ::)

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 05:41:30 AM »
Did the subject in question appear dastardly?  That's all I wanna know.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 01:32:52 PM »
Did the subject in question appear dastardly?  That's all I wanna know.

Nefarious, but not dastardly.  Definitely parsimonious!

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 01:47:08 PM »
Or was it...
I'm Your Huckleberry