Author Topic: Six Flags St. Louis Holiday in the Park  (Read 3631 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Six Flags St. Louis Holiday in the Park
« on: December 03, 2016, 10:53:49 AM »
We had the opportunity to visit Six Flags St. Louis on the first Saturday of it's newest festival, Holiday in the Park

Here is a look at this year's event
https://midwestinfoguide.blogspot.com/2016/11/holiday-in-park-six-flags-st-louis.html
SWOOSH

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Six Flags St. Louis Holiday in the Park
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 12:08:47 PM »
Good for them! It looks so much nicer than I expected.  Hope it's a big success!

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 01:24:23 AM »
I really love going to SFStL.  I hear the DC Plaza looks pretty good nowadays.  Boomerang was the latest thing last time I was there.  Pandemonium is pure 6 Flags nowadays.  I hoped they'd turned the corner with The Justice League and then they follow up with Fireball.  I can't deduce what the over arching idea is for the "Illinois" section.   My guess is there is none.  It's been a resilient company though, and they've presumably brought a fair amount of joy through the years close to people's homes across the globe. 

Their holiday event looked pretty cool from your report.   Is there (was there) anything in the old Chevy show building over by the Tsunami Soaker?  How successful was it have you heard?   I wonder if they plan on doing it again?   I have a lot of good memories of that place through the years.  Fright Night has long been the popular end to their season so I'm just curious how it went.  With such a heavy ride focus,  I'd think sub 40 temps would be much harder on SFStl than SDC. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:46:59 AM by Injun Joe »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 09:37:49 PM »
I really love going to SFStL.  I hear the DC Plaza looks pretty good nowadays.  Boomerang was the latest thing last time I was there.  Pandemonium is pure 6 Flags nowadays.  I hope they've turned the corner with The Justice League and then they follow up with Fireball.  I can't deduce what the over arching idea is for the "Illinois" section.   My guess is there is none.  It's been a resilient company though, and they've presumably brought a fair amount of joy through the years close to people's homes across the globe. 

Their holiday event looked pretty cool from your report.   Is there (was there) anything in the old Chevy show building over by the Tsunami Soaker?  How successful was it have you heard?   I wonder if they plan on doing it again?   I have a lot of good memories of that place through the years.  Fright Night has long been the popular end to their season so I'm just curious how it went.  With such a heavy ride focus,  I'd think sub 40 temps would be much harder on SFStl than SDC.

Lots of questions in here, let's see if I can answer them.

1. Illinois section really doesn't have a theme - it just kind of is a name for a hodgepodge or rides.
2. Pandemonium was pretty much all Six Flags since its inception.  When it was Big Spin it definitely didn't fit into that section's theme ... course The Boss never did either.
3. Fireball's station and entrance/exit arches at least match what they did with Boomerang - so while the themes (?) suck, the appearance is at least decent.
4. The Old Chevy Show building hoses a Halloween maze called Pitch Black.  They leave it up year round and it just sits closed when not being used for Fright Fest.
5. I have heard that Holiday in the Park was a success and that they plan to bring it back next season.  They sold a SFT amount of merchandise during the event.  Attendance numbers were decent when the weather was decent.  The issue with Six Flags is that it is (and will always be) a ride park.  So when the rides were not able to run then the GP was very very angry.
6. Regarding temps - the park really doesn't pay as much attention to them as SDC does.  They have "cold weather wheels" on Batman so it was running even more crazy than normal. 
SWOOSH

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 03:43:37 AM »
Thanks!   Yeah the Big Spin was a great themed ride that would have fit in best in the parking lot, but thats just 6 Flags.  Like the Soaker.  They just buy rides and throw em up anywhere.  You're right though, you can be 99% certain they will never return to their original idea of being a historically themed park specifically tailored to each parks location.   What a crazy idea!  The name has so much cache now they'd never change it, even though it doesn't signify anything anymore.   I think it should be called 6 Logos.  DC, WB, and whatever other flavors of the season,  Papa Johns, McDonalds, Panda Express, Hanna Barbera, and going further back, Nestea.  Of course I could go on and on.  Or maybe 6 logos of former corporate owners of the various parks.  That would be fun. Its cool.  Its just didnt turn out like it was dreamed back in the 70s.

I'd heard they added some new haunted attractions since  I  was last there.  Back then they had the one in the old extra River King/Railblazer queue house.  Seems to me there was another,  but I can't remember where.

I'm glad they had good success.   I drove past just today on my way to Springfield, MO and it is an impressive skyline of rides.  It was always a good entrance,  the opposite of SDC's also good entrance; you can see most everything from the interstate clearly and the hills provide a nice backdrop.  Its a fantastic amusement park and a decent theme park if you squint real hard.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 06:26:08 AM by Injun Joe »

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 06:28:03 PM »
Hey Swoosh, is the Spinsanity going where the old chevy show is?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 10:14:31 PM »
Nope.  Right next door.  If you remember where they had the sling shot a few years ago that's where it is going. 
SWOOSH