Author Topic: Sound at A Christmas Carol And It's A Wonderful Life "off" this year?  (Read 2691 times)

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
I used to run sound for various bands and churches and generally always sit near the sound board when I go to any shows... Including It's a Wonderful Life And A Christmas Carol.

I saw A Christmas Carol on the first Sunday after the start of the festival. The sound was just off. The vocals were too low and the music too loud. I had seen it many times, and this was the first time I had ever noticed this. I kind of chalked it up to it only being the 4-5 performance of the festival. But I went to it's A Wonderful life yesterday and it was the same way. During the traveling song, you could not hear the vocals at all for most of the song. And several of the others were the same way. And what you could hear seemed to have the midrange boosted way too high. This was how A Christmas Carol sounded as well. Normally everything sounds so full but it is as if someone just took the mids and slammed them.

Anyone know what is going on this year? Is it different sound men than in years past or what? And if it is different sound men, why do both shows sound so "off"?

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
Re: Sound at A Christmas Carol And It's A Wonderful Life "off" this year?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 10:39:39 AM »
didn't notice that at all when we were there a couple of weeks ago.  We only saw Dicken's, but the sound was as good as it normally is.  I'm particularly annoyed when instruments drown out vocals, but didn't notice that being a problem when we saw it.

Maybe a couple of new sound techs they were training?  Don't ask me why, but it seems like it's typically the young guys that get the balance mix backwards when it comes to music vs. voice and drown out the vocals. Not always, but more often that way than the other.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 01:00:59 PM »
It was really bad at Wonderful Life yesterday.  There was some issues on phasing at Dickens on the Audience Left side of the stage.  It was like the cast couldn't hear the band on that side of the stage.  Obviously when the chorus would join the soloists it was better as the chorus usually is middle stage.
SWOOSH

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 10:53:23 PM »
I saw both shows last weekend and had the same thoughts about the vocals.   It makes me wonder if with all of the cast changes this year maybe they haven't changed the presets on the sound board.   It makes a huge difference when you get new people that may not project like the others did.  Just a thought. 
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 10:20:06 AM »
I know Opera House has an excellent sound system and I didnt hear anything off on the 1st show of the 1st day. When you went, the sound guy must have changed something on the board or maybe it was a trainee. The only thing I did hear sound wise was the tree on Main Street at 6:45 had a short in the speaker facing the Homestead. It went in and out. I was trying to focus on 1 of the speakers next to it on either side, but it was annoying for everyone and I didnt want to move until the next time it came on.

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 08:10:54 PM »
So I went to both shows today and while they still just aren't "right", they are much improves since my visits a few weeks ago. Some of the new actors voices just don't have the presence that the old actors did and the voices just sound "thing" ( the ghost of christmas past is the most obvious on this one)

And for some reason the guy playing george bailey this year and a part of last year just can't hit the timing on the jokes. For example, when Clarence is talking about money and george says something like "well it comes in mighty handy around here bub" there are no laughs. The guy who originally played george would nail that timing and the whole crowd would be laughing. The new guy has the lines but his timing is off on a lot of lines that should be getting more laughs... of course you would not know any better had you not seen it wih the original George