Author Topic: Christmas crowds  (Read 3750 times)

Gala

• View Profile
Christmas crowds
« on: November 03, 2016, 09:32:21 AM »
We visited SDC on a Saturday in early December 2014 and found the crowd level to be too much for us. We parked at a bank in Branson West (I think), waited in a LONG line for a shuttle to the park, and found the park to be shoulder-to-shoulder people once we got inside.

We're debating trying again this year. We'd like to avoid using vacation time if possible, but is this Saturday (11/5) likely to be crowded like December Saturdays?  Would a Friday (11/11 or 12/9) be significantly less crowded?

Thanks for your help!

ithai

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas crowds
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 09:44:22 AM »
November should be better than December. The main reason being is that the bring a friend passes don't become active until late November early december. However if the weather remains nice the crowds will be up as well. My family is going in November in an effort to beat the crowds. We shall see if that is the case.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 10:41:10 AM »
it's a Saturday with the Christmas stuff.  It's going to be packed.  This one might be lighter- you might get to use the parking lot instead of parking 3 miles down the road- but honestly if you're going to go on a Saturday you're going to have to deal with huge, heavy crowds and long lines.

I can not recommend strongly enough, do not go to SDC on a Nov or Dec Saturday.  Friday nights and Sunday nights are better, though still busy.  But they are manageable, especially in November.  But if there is any way at all possible, go on a Wednesday or Thursday.  You will have a much, much better day.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Gala

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 11:24:16 AM »
Thanks for the fast and helpful comments!

SirWillow (or others), is a Friday or Sunday visit likely to be less crowded?

A Wednesday or Thursday visit would require two days off which might be hard to do, but we could take off one day to make a Friday or Sunday visit possible.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »

SirWillow (or others), is a Friday or Sunday visit likely to be less crowded?

Both and neither.  lol

Fridays start slow, so they are less crowded in the early part of the day, but it picks up as the sun goes down and people get off of work, so it can be pretty crowded at night.

Sunday on the other hand starts off busier than Friday daytime, but clears out more earlier as people go home and get ready to go to work.  The park can be near empty after the first parade giving you some time without the crowds if you're willing to stick it out.  Good to catch the shows early if you can, then enjoy the lights and rides later.  And weather doesn't look like it will be an issue these first couple of weekends at least.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 02:15:11 PM »
Always Sunday and always before Thanksgiving.  NEVER on a Saturday in December unless you are just looking to enjoy the lights.  Shows and limited rides are usually very crowded.  We go often as we live close so this is from someone that has the luxury of going last minute.  If you are stuck with Saturday make sure you get their early so you get a chance to enjoy the rides and shows.  In the evenings the shows are limited in the number of the performances, they are large productions and a little longer than most park shows. 

anon42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 02:53:32 PM »
Can anyone comment on the days surrounding Thanksgiving?  We could potentially stop on our way between MN/AR to see relatives on either the Wednesday (day before) or Saturday of that weekend.  Saturday would work better with the drive/visit and has longer hours but I'm sure would be more crowded.  Perhaps the Wednesday is crowded too though if locals have school off that day like we do in MN.  Can anyone tell me from experience HOW crowded for those days?  Like Disney World levels would be around a holiday?  Or bearable?

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 06:17:45 PM »
Crowds on Weekdays, not including holidays, are usually light. Thanksgiving may be a bit hectic and Black Friday will be just like Madness thursday in Walmart. Tomorrow and the first Friday of Dec will have about the same level crowds, if you can understand that.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 07:07:24 PM »
Can anyone comment on the days surrounding Thanksgiving?  We could potentially stop on our way between MN/AR to see relatives on either the Wednesday (day before) or Saturday of that weekend.  Saturday would work better with the drive/visit and has longer hours but I'm sure would be more crowded.  Perhaps the Wednesday is crowded too though if locals have school off that day like we do in MN.  Can anyone tell me from experience HOW crowded for those days?  Like Disney World levels would be around a holiday?  Or bearable?

We have visited several times on the day before Thanksgiving and did not find it crowded.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 04:47:44 AM »
FYI Admin should probably merge this it the similar thread on here.

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 01:15:40 PM »
it's a Saturday with the Christmas stuff.  It's going to be packed.  This one might be lighter- you might get to use the parking lot instead of parking 3 miles down the road- but honestly if you're going to go on a Saturday you're going to have to deal with huge, heavy crowds and long lines.

I can not recommend strongly enough, do not go to SDC on a Nov or Dec Saturday.  Friday nights and Sunday nights are better, though still busy.  But they are manageable, especially in November.  But if there is any way at all possible, go on a Wednesday or Thursday.  You will have a much, much better day.

I basically agree with this, although I went on a Saturday a couple of weeks ago, which was (and I think still is) the coldest day we've had this Fall (high 40s and a bit windy, although it was sunny). While it was pretty crowded, ride levels were not at all bad. We didn't do any shows that time though, so it really depends on what you are planning to do.