Author Topic: Dollywood 2017  (Read 6214 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Dollywood 2017
« on: October 26, 2016, 10:01:11 AM »
Well DW finally came out with a big announcement for 2017 after all:
http://www.dollywood.com/themepark/YOF2017

Not one, but two rides for 2017 including the long-awaited drop tower to replace Timber Tower. The kiddie coaster is sorely needed as well.

As always, hopefully this means more of the same for SDC down the road as well. I hope the tower is themed well so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. They did such a good job of integrating the rides into the landscape in that area.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Dollywood 2017
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 10:14:04 AM »
Sure does rub me wrong that they're getting 3 additions the year after LR while SDC gets no new rides for the 2nd year in a row. 
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 11:56:29 AM »
Meh, a lot of it seems to be on SDC's end right now though with how much infrastructure they seem to be working on. DW had a lot of buildup at various points as well when they had to rebuild their parking, cut through a massive hillside, and get a lot of groundwork in place for their expansions.

DW will still be the emphasis for the chain into the near future, but SDC certainly hasn't been forgotten about. They could have opened the new coaster in 2017 if they wanted, but it seems to me like it's disorganization at the park leadership level that's holding them back. Seems like there is a log jam of things that SDC desperately needs to work on and they keep switching priorities, at least from an outside perspective.

And as always, you invest where you think your money has the most potential for growth. Branson is doing better than projected, but Dollywood still has the edge.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 02:27:17 PM »
Meh, a lot of it seems to be on SDC's end right now though with how much infrastructure they seem to be working on. DW had a lot of buildup at various points as well when they had to rebuild their parking, cut through a massive hillside, and get a lot of groundwork in place for their expansions.

DW will still be the emphasis for the chain into the near future, but SDC certainly hasn't been forgotten about. They could have opened the new coaster in 2017 if they wanted, but it seems to me like it's disorganization at the park leadership level that's holding them back. Seems like there is a log jam of things that SDC desperately needs to work on and they keep switching priorities, at least from an outside perspective.

And as always, you invest where you think your money has the most potential for growth. Branson is doing better than projected, but Dollywood still has the edge.

The home park footprint for SDC will likely double in population the next 20 years. Can't forget that.

They have to address Whitewater soon.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 02:29:16 PM by chittlins »

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 04:18:23 PM »
I will agree with Swoosh and also it was a surprise to me as I figured they were done with new rides for a couple years after LR. But yes its pretty obvious that Dollywood is the main focus for HFEC's investments with new additions.

jtudor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 08:55:57 AM »
Any update on the two new rides going in as far as construction?  Also are there any details regarding the Pumpkin illumin walk through in the fall like location and setting?

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 04:01:34 PM »
I will agree with Swoosh and also it was a surprise to me as I figured they were done with new rides for a couple years after LR. But yes its pretty obvious that Dollywood is the main focus for HFEC's investments with new additions.

Goodness if you look at the development that Dollywood has received over the last decade or longer it's been obvious that it's far more the focus than SDC has been for a long time.  Rides, infrastructure, expansions, parking, resorts... it's not even a close comparison.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 04:12:26 PM »
^Yeah, well they built a whole extra amusement park in Branson in 2003 and that didn't work out so well for them, meanwhile Pigeon Forge is booming so they got smart followed the money there for awhile. Investment in SDC is only going to keep ramping back up with the resurgence of Branson, growth of NWA, and the boost from the big new coaster.

^^Coaster Crew did a near behind-the-scenes construction tour last month I believe (can't lookup the link at the moment but you should be able to find it on FB). Drop tower construction only started recently though and it probably wont open until summer. They got started late on everything for some reason.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 08:26:05 PM »
Yeah, well they built a whole extra amusement park in Branson in 2003 and that didn't work out so well for them,
You are right, that was a financial fiasco.
Also I might think the guys are getting older and they are still attached is some capacity.  That may slow it up a little as well

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 08:29:18 AM »
^Yeah, well they built a whole extra amusement park in Branson in 2003 and that didn't work out so well for them, meanwhile Pigeon Forge is booming so they got smart followed the money there for awhile. Investment in SDC is only going to keep ramping back up with the resurgence of Branson, growth of NWA, and the boost from the big new coaster.

True- instead of competing with themselves it's to bad that they didn't take that same money and put it into SDC and developing/ expanding it.

But investment in SDC isn't "ramping up"  It's maintaining about the same pace as it has for a long time.  A new coaster every 4-6 years, and this one is looking to be smaller and lower capacity than the other coasters they've added.  Firemans landing was a "redo" of an area that was badly showing it's age with a lot of used rides they already owned, so it wasn't a major investment.  This season isn't showing any major investments either.  Really, outside of Outlaw Run, when was the last time there was a major investment?

And outside of the new coaster that has now been delayed a year, what signs of other major investment is there? 

Maybe I'm cynical from having worked there, but to me it appears more of a "maintain and milk the crowds" rather than investing for actual growth.  Which is a very different plan than Dollywood had.  No plans for expanded areas, no plans for a resort, no plans for major investment- all of which Dollywood has done over the years, and much of which was known or speculated about 10 years before it happened. SDC has no such plans or real rumors.  :-(
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 08:30:50 AM by sirwillow »
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 02:22:43 PM »
^As I understand it they are spending an incredible amount of money on the coaster currently under construction. I believe it is HFEC's largest ever ride expenditure?

I know there have been some dry years lately, but investment is not just about big new rides every year. There's been a lot to do and plan behind the scenes with things like infrastructure and the parking situation which Dollywood has had a MUCH easier time with.

After SDC's new coaster opens I'm expecting a lot of wheels to start turning even faster on our end. I know there are a ton of plans that have been made - not all of which are discussed in the open even on this site. Who knows what exactly will come to fruition, but it's obvious that they are going to keep building SDC up to be a major destination park.

Anyway though, this thread is about Dollywood. I hope someone from this board is eventually able to make it over there to get an impression and report about how the new rides fit into the Timber Canyon environment. It really is a nice area, even if it's a little less authentic than old DW or SDC.