Author Topic: The Branson Shuffle starts early  (Read 19343 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: The Branson Shuffle starts early
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2016, 08:25:13 PM »
I'm curious why they haven't built a theatre big enough to handle traveling Broadway shows and live concerts.  The Grand Palace could have filled that need but it's pretty much beyond repair by now
SWOOSH

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2016, 06:26:57 AM »
I'm curious why they haven't built a theatre big enough to handle traveling Broadway shows and live concerts.  The Grand Palace could have filled that need but it's pretty much beyond repair by now

And all the extra land available there would make a great venue for open air festivals. Dual stages and different bands on multiple days. I think city officials frown on this sort of activity though. I do not think they want that demographic.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2016, 09:11:39 AM »

I had hoped that with the Little Mermaid starting a cpl years ago they would stick there toes into traveling shows.  You would trhink that if they got Wicked for 2 weeks they could fill the seats.  I am afraid that the Mermaid debacle set us back.  A group of us go to special shows in Branson often and It seems they have a promotion problem.  We have been to many shows that were not 25% full, these were good shows with big names but as the season progressed they seemed to catch on. I went to see Loretta Lynn and they were full to the gills.  They could certainly offer concerts without rap or death metal bands.  I think they need good promotion and as mentioned a larger theater.  I am thinking the largest room in Branson right now would be 3000.  That may just not be enough for some big acts but that is large enough for a play.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2016, 10:26:08 AM »
I've heard this idea of traveling shows before.  My thought is always the same:  How many people would come to Branson to see a big name show? Personally, I'd rather see it where I live and save my time and money for doing other things in Branson. But, I don't really have an interest in seeing any shows in Branson, so I realize I'm not the demographic they're shooting for.   Well, other than Shepherd of the Hills, Dixie Stampede, and the Showboat. I do enjoy those.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2016, 04:26:36 PM »
Springfield pretty much has that region covered when it comes to traveling shows; while I was attending MSU, I saw The Beauty and the Beast, Shrek: The Musical, and more. They've even gotten Wicked.

For Branson, I'd say a permanent show might be a better choice; like how Las Vegas had a permanent, specifically-built theater for Phantom of the Opera. Like, I know that if I wanted to go see a Broadway show closer to home, I could take a train or bus to Chicago, where they have more permanent theaters for stuff like that.

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2016, 05:55:11 PM »
I think the biggest problem with the Branson shows is the price. I mean, when I can buy a ticket for $20 to see Marshall Crenshaw and The Bottlerockets play original music that they recorded or pay $38 for glorified karaoke with comedy, there is a problem. When I can spend money to see Cheap Trick and it is only slightly more than shows at Branson, there is a problem.

I am lucky in that I am not really hurting for income. But an average family cannot afford to see the shows even if they wanted to. Price them more reasonable and people will come.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2016, 06:01:41 PM »
Springfield pretty much has that region covered when it comes to traveling shows; while I was attending MSU, I saw The Beauty and the Beast, Shrek: The Musical, and more. They've even gotten Wicked.

They get shows at Juanita K but the shows are way too high and frankly the theater sucks badly.  I have seen shows there and the theater is lacking.  If you live in this area as I do you would know its really a loss up between Fayatville / Rogers and Springfield.  Being that they are both a reasonable drive you could replace the old country shows with a special production on your vacation.  I myself will often plan trips around a good show and if they did it right in Branson you could kill 2 birds with one stone.  Its a nice mini vacation when you can pair a show with a day at SDC or messing around in Branson.  They have the buildings and the possibility is there.  I would think that the SDC folks would also like to see this done as it can only help them. Maybe I am off base but if they did a cpl of weeks maybe 3 or 4 at the most with a good, well advertised show they could probably fill the seats.  They would maybe want to make it 5 nights a week.  What ever they do in Branson they have to make money first and foremost.  Sometimes we forget that $$ is the name of the game and that means full theaters. 

misskim

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2016, 06:43:15 PM »
I think the biggest problem with the Branson shows is the price. I mean, when I can buy a ticket for $20 to see Marshall Crenshaw and The Bottlerockets play original music that they recorded or pay $38 for glorified karaoke with comedy, there is a problem. When I can spend money to see Cheap Trick and it is only slightly more than shows at Branson, there is a problem.

I am lucky in that I am not really hurting for income. But an average family cannot afford to see the shows even if they wanted to. Price them more reasonable and people will come.

See, I was thinking the opposite. Wicked was just in town here and the tickets were $75/person for balcony seats. Even though I'd love to see it, I couldn't make myself pay that much for tickets. It's significantly more than I've ever paid to see a show in Branson. I can find much more reasonable tickets in Branson, especially if the theater uses Half Price Tickets. When my kids were younger, we used family passes to get our family of 5 in to see a show for about the same as one ticket to Wicked would have been.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2016, 07:21:43 PM »
Where do you live? Tickets in Springfield were 200

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2016, 08:09:58 PM »
SMS has only 4 shows a year, far from having the corner marketed. 
You build a nice theatre and you'll get the shows.  I know I have planned trips around seeing shows before. 
SWOOSH

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2016, 12:53:34 PM »
I guess I am the only one that comes to Branson because of the patriotic and more importantly for the Christian atmosphere.  I am 42 and have 2 children.  I appreciate that I can take my children to these shows and not have to worry what they see any hear.  And before you think I only take my girls to religious things we also go to New York and have taken them to see broadway shows like Rent and Book of Mormon.   I go to Branson because it is Branson and we go to New York to see New York.   By the way my girls are 11 and 13.
You aren't.  I'm one of four siblings under 40, all with multiple kids, and one of the reason we love Branson and SDC in general is because Patriotism and Christianity are heralded and not shunned or hidden.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2016, 12:56:23 PM »

This.  Glorified karaoke is Branson's problem.  Young people realize this isn't really talent at all, especially for that price.  I can go to the piano bar and listen to good karaoke and drink a beer, too, for five bucks.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2016, 06:52:46 PM »
A resident Blue Man Group show would probably go over well in Branson.

The problem with millennials and going to shows is that they have a hard time doing their whole "multi-tasking" constantly updating their social media feeds with live updates.  To them it is not just enough to go experience something - you have to have all of your "followers" live it vicariously through you.  Successful shows have accepted that concept and have run with it
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2016, 07:00:56 PM »

This.  Glorified karaoke is Branson's problem.  Young people realize this isn't really talent at all, especially for that price.  I can go to the piano bar and listen to good karaoke and drink a beer, too, for five bucks.

You guys make it sound like that is all that the Branson shows are.  There are a LOT of them that are not that at all.  Are there some?  Sure. But quite a few don't fit into that.  If you don't want to see that, then don't.  Go see some of the other shows.  There are acrobats, illusionists, huge stage productions, original singers, animals, pure comedy, variety shows, dinner on a boat or at a Stampede, and plenty of other things to do as well, with all of the min golf, go carts, zip lines, museums, and much more.

Can it use a bit more variety?  Maybe.  But one of the wonderful things about Branson is the large variety.  And if you haven't seen it, then you aren't looking.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2016, 07:46:30 PM »

What number of seats is needed? The Mansion seats 3000.