Author Topic: Need a couple answers for upcoming trip  (Read 4470 times)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Need a couple answers for upcoming trip
« on: September 13, 2016, 09:40:25 PM »
I'm gonna be at SDC on Friday the 23rd. I haven't been to the park since July 2013, so I know there've been some changes (the Saloon Show; the addition of Fireman's Landing; etc) and I also just don't remember some things.

1) Back in, oh, it had to be 2009/2010-ish, I bought my eldest niece a customized mini-parasol (the size that fits with, like, a teddy bear or a doll). My niece and her little sisters are coming on our trip, too, and I'm hoping to get her sisters mini-parasols of their own. My main question is does anyone know the price of the mini-parasols?

Also, does anyone know the limits of what things the artists know how to paint? The one I got my eldest niece I had done with butterflies. The "middle" niece's nickname is "Liliebug" so her "mascot" has always been ladybugs, so I'd like to get ladybugs on hers. And the youngest niece... well, she doesn't really have a "mascot" besides me calling her "Roo" as in a kangaroo 'cause her name is Teeghan and it's an Australian name. I kinda would like to stick with the insect theme, though, so I was thinking fireflies for her because her hair is a very fiery red, so, ya know, FIRE.

2) I haven't been to the Wild West Show that they've had at the Harvest Fest. We're gonna be going to Dixie Stampede that Saturday, and based on the small description and the picture on the SDC website, it looks like the Wild West Show is kind of a smaller version of DS. So I'm wondering if we should just skip that since we're going to DS?

3) Does anyone know of a place I can find up-to-date menu prices for the various eateries? I'm gonna be limited on spending money, so I have to plan carefully for what I'm gonna buy at the park.

4) The rumors have very strongly suggested that we get lots of photos of the entrance to the park. How far should I focus for my photos/videos? Up through the turnstiles? Or should I also focus on the bakery and the Hospitality House?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 09:45:13 PM by Joy »

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
Re: Need a couple answers for upcoming trip
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 09:14:42 AM »
My initial reaction to you post Joy is.....Just relax and enjoy your day....lol

I have no idea about #1, #2 is not a must see....it's fun if you're near the show at the right time but I wouldn't plan for it, #3 Plan on $8-10 a meal $5-6 kids for most 'fast food' type options and $14-17 and adult for any sitdown places.  I haven't seen menu prices anywhere online this year.  Don't forget money for cups/refills, and snacks.   #4 I personally wouldn't worry about that....I'm guessing around the hospitality house and ticket building up to the ticket gate is most 'at risk' for change.

But seriously....make sure to just relax and have fun.  I'm all about planning and scheduling to make the most of a trip but don't let it stress you out from just having fun and being in the moment.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 11:41:52 AM »
Humphrey gave you good advice.  Why not just set a daily budget for food?  So many options ranging from just a few dollars to under $20 for a sit down meal.  You could always email them about prices, also.  They are very good at responding.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 01:02:17 AM »
I would love to relax, but one of the downsides of being autistic is dealing with anxieties. I have to plan things out a LOT before I go on a trip because I'm always anxious about forgetting something. Additionally, SDC is one of my "special interests," and it's been extremely hard emotionally & mentally being away from the park for so long. I just want to make sure I can make the most out of my trip because we only get one day there and I don't know when I'll have the chance to go back.

What e-mail address would be best to use to get a timely response? I can't believe I didn't think about e-mailing them.

I do think I know what I want for lunch at SDC. Someone on TPR posted pics of a couple different meals from the kettle chips place and the taco chips just look... AMAZING. Although.... the new fry bread options look amazing, too. Gosh. I have no idea. LOL I love SDC food!

I'm focusing on pictures of the entrance (and the area between TNT and Echo Hollow) because I'm gonna have access to a super high-end professional camera and I wanna take as many pics as possible for posterity. I've thought about it and I realize I'm gonna be taking pics of EVERYTHING anyway, so I should get what I need without worrying so much. :D

I did forget to ask one question: I remember that the gates open before the park does, 'cause I know you can eat breakfast at Molly's Mill. But I've not been there that early in a long while. I know the park opens at 10am; on the website, it says that Molly's Mill starts serving at 8:30am. So is that when the gates open? Or is it at 8am? I'm sorta trying to convince my family that we should have breakfast there 'cause I wanna be at the park before opening so I can get more photos with less people in them; plus, we can get a stroll through the Homestead done before park opening, which will give us more time for other stuff during the day.

Oh, and on that same note, what time does Guest Relations open? 'Cause that's where I've gotta go to pick up my tickets.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 01:05:21 AM by Joy »

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 07:51:42 AM »
Joy, The fried bread with the BBQ does look good... But from experience earlier in the year, it doesn't taste very good. I was really looking forward to it when I saw the pictures but the actuality was lacking which was depressing

Side note: Best place to get a good shot of the train in my opinion is in the area that goes from old printing shop up to what is now the woodworker's shop... pretty much the back entrance to the bathrooms there. You can get the train coming around the corner. I have gotten a lot of shots there that i was happy with. I can PM you my photo site to see my pictures in the park if you'd like

I am excited to try to get train pics this winter since we live close enough now where I can run down on a Sunday when it isn't as crowded if the weather is right. I would love some pictures of the train with snow all around

I would bring a 10-20mm lens or so and something like a 18-200mm if you have it. That covers the whole gamut.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 07:55:46 AM »
Not sure about Guest Relations, but I'm sure they'd have to be open by 8:30 for people like you that need to pick up tickets.  I'll look for an email for you.  I bet you could call them with questions, also. 

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 11:25:30 AM »
We like getting chips from the kettle chips place, and we were disappointed with the fry bread we got earlier in the year.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 02:40:32 PM »
Okay, so sounds like my initial choice of the kettle chips was a good choice. :D

Thanks for the tip about the train, Jemmi! Yeah, I'd love to see your photos!

Gilligan, an e-mail address is best for me. One of my severe phobias is talking on the phone (even to people I know, much less strangers).

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 03:26:08 PM »
I loved the BBQ fried bread sandwich. But I also had the kettle chips last year and loved that as well. You can't go wrong either way.  :)
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 09:12:53 PM »
We liked the kettle chips, but the fry bread was soggy with the toppings.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 12:56:00 PM »
I'll try to find one today.  I've been off line for a few days.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 08:15:30 AM »
Here's the email I used for food related questions -BEAKINS@silverdollarcity.com

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 11:25:03 AM »
Tickets, Turnstiles, Guest Relations, Rentals and the Mill Restaurant all open at 8:30am.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 03:55:22 PM »
For general info -http://www.silverdollarcity.com/Contact-Us