Author Topic: Best Roller Coaster Trip Ideas?  (Read 4361 times)

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
Best Roller Coaster Trip Ideas?
« on: August 17, 2016, 03:15:21 PM »
I've been eyeing a couple of possible roller coaster vacations for me (I've got some miles build up that need to be used).  I'm looking for ideas for good itineraries to hit up multiple parks in 3-4 days trips.  Was looking at flights to LA (SFMM, KBF, Universal), Ohio (KI, CP),  Philly (SFGA, Herseypark).  Are there some other places to hit up the most coasters on one 'quick' trip (other than Orlando)?

In a separate rant:  I've start to traveling more for work and have recently had to drive by BGTB, SFG without any time to visit :(  Next month I'll be within 20 miles of SFGA and SFMM for multiple days but probably won't have time to visit either :(
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
Re: Best Roller Coaster Trip Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 03:19:31 PM »
Cedar Point is a lot of fun. If you want to do a lot of coasters I would recommend the Ohio trip. From what I've heard, CP is a lot better for rides than SFMM,and you wouldn't have to deal with LA.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 05:11:18 PM »
Fly into Richmond - (Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, SF America)
Fly into Philly - (SF Great Adventure, Dorney Park, Hershey Park, Knoebel's)
Fly into Sacramento/Oakland - (SF Discovery Kingdom, CA's Great America, Gilroy's Gardens, Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk)
Fly into San Antonio - (SF Fiesta Texas, Sea World Texas, Schlitterbahn, and Switchback Railway)
Fly into Pittsburgh - (Kennywood, Idlewild, Waldameer, Cedar Point)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 02:20:17 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 01:26:07 PM »
Thanks Swoosh...

Didn't think about the Richmond area....

I'm starting to think about flying in to Cleveland and just renting a car and driving back.  I've got family in Cinnci I can stay with one night.  Hit CP, KI, maybe KK, HW and SFstl on the way back?  Might have to take a week.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 04:29:20 PM »
If you are flying into Cleveland, you should add on Waldameer in Erie, PA.  It's not that far and Ravine Flyer II is the best Gravity Group woodie out there. 
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 10:43:23 AM »
I just got back from a trip to Cedar Point last night. Now I'm kicking myself for not thinking about Waldameer, which is right up my alley for the type of park I really enjoy. It had to be a quick trip though and I'm just glad I was able to pull it off with the way my summer has been.

Cedar Point is amazing. If you haven't been, and you are traveling just for roller coasters, it needs to be at the top of your list. It was a 4-day trip for me flying in from Tulsa (though I actually drove down to Dallas because it was ~$300 cheaper). 2 days for travel on either end, 2 full 11-hour days at the park. It's very easy to get to from Cleveland's airport.

I highly recommend staying at one of the CP hotels, such as Breakers Express. You get parking included, 1-hour early entry to ride some of the biggest coasters before most people get there, and you can get discounted tickets. Plus Breakers Express is the best value hotel in Sandusky. Next time I want to shell out for another day and stay in the actual Breakers hotel in the park though.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 11:45:39 AM »
I just got back from a trip to Cedar Point last night. Now I'm kicking myself for not thinking about Waldameer, which is right up my alley for the type of park I really enjoy. It had to be a quick trip though and I'm just glad I was able to pull it off with the way my summer has been.

Cedar Point is amazing. If you haven't been, and you are traveling just for roller coasters, it needs to be at the top of your list. It was a 4-day trip for me flying in from Tulsa (though I actually drove down to Dallas because it was ~$300 cheaper). 2 days for travel on either end, 2 full 11-hour days at the park. It's very easy to get to from Cleveland's airport.

I highly recommend staying at one of the CP hotels, such as Breakers Express. You get parking included, 1-hour early entry to ride some of the biggest coasters before most people get there, and you can get discounted tickets. Plus Breakers Express is the best value hotel in Sandusky. Next time I want to shell out for another day and stay in the actual Breakers hotel in the park though.

In June we stayed at Hotel Breakers and I definitely agree that it is better to stay at one of their properties. The tickets are so much cheaper (and include the water park), parking is included, and if you are at Sandcastle, Breakers, or Lighthouse Point you can easily walk to the park. It was really nice showing up on a Wednesday, parking the car, and not needed to use it again until we left on Saturday.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 02:00:01 PM »
Thx Shave...

Just was pricing flights to CLE....found STL has non-stops for around $100 one-way.  I wanted to leave closer to NWA but I might have to go with that. TUL was just as expensive as XNA  :-\

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 01:07:41 PM »
Thanks Swoosh...

Didn't think about the Richmond area....

I'm starting to think about flying in to Cleveland and just renting a car and driving back.  I've got family in Cinnci I can stay with one night.  Hit CP, KI, maybe KK, HW and SFstl on the way back?  Might have to take a week.

Our family is doing DC/Williamsburg June 2017.
We planned on BuschGarden and either the area six flags park or Kings Domonion, guess it depends on if we get season tickets to if a Six Or Fair park that allows trips to the other parks. We eyed doing a circle back up the coast and hit some of the piers but that appears doubtful now

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 07:25:06 AM »
Thx all....

I'm on a biz trip in PA right now....literally 5 miles from Dorney Park....but I don't have the time to go (and it's closed during the week now).  This is the 3rd trip this year that I've drove by roller coasters without being able to go :(

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 03:24:09 PM »
Thx all....

I'm on a biz trip in PA right now....literally 5 miles from Dorney Park....but I don't have the time to go (and it's closed during the week now).  This is the 3rd trip this year that I've drove by roller coasters without being able to go :(

You will get over it. I am in Germany right now, very close to Europa and have no desire to go to a theme park. To many other beautiful natural things to see. Leaving for Belgium tomorrow then on to Switzerland.