Author Topic: Magic Springs  (Read 12931 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Magic Springs
« on: August 08, 2016, 05:00:14 PM »
I finally made it down to Magic Springs last week. I posted a photo TR and review on TPR: http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72237

Basically I was really impressed with how they fixed up the place, but man, most of the coasters need some work. Premier/CNL seem kinda like the house flippers of the amusement industry. They put a lot of work into general things and surface appearance, but don't take time to understand the underlying issues with the main attractions. I guess they kind of are property flippers though since they've been trying to sell them off for the right price.

I sure hope they keep Arkansas Twister around. That was half the reason for driving down there. It's a fun ride despite being absolutely crazy rough and shaky. It won't survive running like this for much longer though, so either it gets fixed up this off season or it gets the axe.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Springs
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 10:50:27 AM »
I finally made it down to Magic Springs last week. I posted a photo TR and review on TPR: http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72237

Basically I was really impressed with how they fixed up the place, but man, most of the coasters need some work. Premier/CNL seem kinda like the house flippers of the amusement industry. They put a lot of work into general things and surface appearance, but don't take time to understand the underlying issues with the main attractions. I guess they kind of are property flippers though since they've been trying to sell them off for the right price.

I sure hope they keep Arkansas Twister around. That was half the reason for driving down there. It's a fun ride despite being absolutely crazy rough and shaky. It won't survive running like this for much longer though, so either it gets fixed up this off season or it gets the axe.

The Water Park is solid, news a new addition like a water coaster though .

The setting is nice

This park would be idea to try the small to medium Euro model that you are seeing at places like Toverland, Furup Sommerland, Plops de Panne and so on.

The summer concert series is a huge draw for this park as well as huant season and that's why I think you'll still see some dry side stuff. Otherwise, why put in the sky coaster to seasons ago for an upchange.

This would be a great park for solid but low cap rides like a Mack Custom Spinner or a Vekoma Family suspended or a small train Gravity Group coaster like Wooden Warrior or Switchback.

coasterdad

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 04:29:58 PM »

isn't there woody the same one that used to be at circus world outside of Orlando?If it is that was the first coaster I ever rode in the 80s  when I was about 7 years old. and the one that started a lifetime love of all things coaster

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 06:22:14 AM »

isn't there woody the same one that used to be at circus world outside of Orlando?If it is that was the first coaster I ever rode in the 80s  when I was about 7 years old. and the one that started a lifetime love of all things coaster

Yes, I rode it when that park was Boardwalk and Baseball.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 08:01:52 AM »
Got a new owner, an REIT based out of Kansas City bought CNL Lifestyle's theme and water park portfolio.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 08:08:03 AM by chittlins »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 10:12:06 AM »

Water park shifts ownership Dec. 1
The Sentinel-Record
Monday, November 14, 2016
HOT SPRINGS -- Magic Springs & Crystal Falls Water and Theme Park's property ownership and corporate management will change hands next month.
Magic Springs will be owned by EPR Properties as of Dec. 1, according to the park's general manager, Steve Honeycutt. The company agreed to purchase the park from its current owner, CNL Lifestyle Properties Inc.
The park, run by Amusement Management Partners, will be operated by Premier Parks when the property changes ownership, Honeycutt said.

Despite the changes, the park's employees will continue to work in their current positions with the same rate of pay, Honeycutt said.
"It's really business as usual," he said. "We'll just have more resources available to us, and I'll just run the park like I always have."
The change of ownership is part of a $700 million aggregate investment by EPR Properties that includes the purchases of 15 attraction properties, a ski resort and five small entertainment centers, according to a news release.
"We are extremely pleased to announce this transaction, which is the culmination of a two-year process of disciplined underwriting, due diligence and negotiations," EPR Properties President and Chief Executive Officer Gregory Silvers said in the release

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 06:27:37 PM »
Update on the change of ownership of Magic Springs -- article is from Arkansas Business:

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/116339/kansas-city-reit-buys-magic-springs-theme-park

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 09:13:51 PM »
Yup, from one REIT to the other, just like Darien Lake and Frontier City. The thing is that a change in ownership to a new REIT usually means fresh investment as they try to increase the value of the property vs. what they paid for it. Plus Premier has a fresh 40-year lease to base decisions off of.

So now that they are seemingly ready to double down on the investment, the question is still what will they do with what is left of the theme park? I'm still sure that the water park will be the focus, and i would not at all be surprised to see a new water coaster soon. I also think they will try to reach the water park further into the rest of the park to possibly connect with the oddly positioned water play structure.

I have this feeling that they won't actually abandon the dry side as much as some of us were thinking though. It would just remove too much value. Maybe it's just false hope, but I think they will invest in refurbishing the Twister. They did a good job with Wildcat at FC this year apparently. Perhaps they will bring in some cheaper end flat rides eventually as well, like a Larson drop tower and set of flyers.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 12:12:29 AM »
I'm guessing it would be unrealistic to think they would invest in their first B&M and RMC?

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 10:06:33 PM »
The new owners are, for the first time in my recent memory, heavily advertising on NWA radio.

Interesting news from Six Flags may play into this new Reit's plans. One waterpark that was announced to be managed by Premiere is now going to be ran by Six Flags. A park they once owned. Manage these type of small parks to feed folks to the big parks via Gold season passes and a place to sell and/or relocate coasters for new ones at existing parks.

Magic Springs happens to have decent water side and plenty of need for some hand me down coasters/flats.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 10:41:32 PM »
The new owners are, for the first time in my recent memory, heavily advertising on NWA radio.

Interesting news from Six Flags may play into this new Reit's plans. One waterpark that was announced to be managed by Premiere is now going to be ran by Six Flags. A park they once owned. Manage these type of small parks to feed folks to the big parks via Gold season passes and a place to sell and/or relocate coasters for new ones at existing parks.

Magic Springs happens to have decent water side and plenty of need for some hand me down coasters/flats.

From what I have gleaned from different forums, it sounds like SF will probably make a bid for the Palace Corporate chain of parks (which is currently for sale) Here is their entire portfolio of the places they own. https://www.palaceentertainment.com/pick-a-park
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 08:29:22 AM »

From what I have gleaned from different forums, it sounds like SF will probably make a bid for the Palace Corporate chain of parks (which is currently for sale) Here is their entire portfolio of the places they own. https://www.palaceentertainment.com/pick-a-park

That would be, ummmm, interesting?  There's a number of parks there that don't seem to fit into Six Flags' normal portfolio.  Three Boomers and a couple of other FEC's, and several independant water parks.  Some of the smaller "theme" parks would also be curious additions.  Castle Park in Riverside?  Just have a hard time picturing that as a Six Flags run park.

Then there are the couple that I'm not sure I want to see Six Flags have their hands on: Idlewild, Lake Compounce and Kennywood.   it certainly would make me concerned about the future of a couple of the parks on that list.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 05:48:12 PM »
Well you have to read up on the actual acquisition.  Six Flags is looking for smaller parks to beef up their Gold Pass traffic to their already established bigger parks.  I agree that the FECs probably would be sold off - I could see Incredible Pizza picking them up as they've been expanding rapidly.  The aquatic parks could easily be sold off as well. 
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 08:02:22 PM »
The thought of Kennywood coming under SF control scares me too... The chain has come a long way, but they are still cheapskates and I could certainly see them railroading any remaining historic charm to squeeze in more advertising, games, and cheap rides.

Fortunately it seems Magic Springs and FC are "safe". I use quotation marks mainly for Magic Springs, because who knows what the real plan is even now. I am glad they are pushing the park again. Perhaps this summer will show them what is worth truly investing in - depending on whether or not people show up and what they show up for.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2017, 09:22:17 AM »
The thought of Kennywood coming under SF control scares me too... The chain has come a long way, but they are still cheapskates and I could certainly see them railroading any remaining historic charm to squeeze in more advertising, games, and cheap rides.

Fortunately it seems Magic Springs and FC are "safe". I use quotation marks mainly for Magic Springs, because who knows what the real plan is even now. I am glad they are pushing the park again. Perhaps this summer will show them what is worth truly investing in - depending on whether or not people show up and what they show up for.

If the goal is to use the gold passes to feed the larger parks, more parks than in the northeast will be needed. And geographically speaking, magic Springs is  good spot. Like I said not too close but in the middle of Arlington and St. Louis with with Atlanta and San Antonio still doable. I imagine this would be to increase the near give away price of Gold Passes  and get them up to close to 100 dollars in instead of 55 to 65 dollars ( yes, darn cheap) they promo them for now. They likely figure a typical family may go to one of the other parks for that pass year year and isn't like me, and plan on exploiting the heck out of it.
(StL, America, Great Adventure, Atl, Arlington and San Antonio this year). If they can get folks that buy these parks passes to pay 80 bucks to 100 bucks for a gold, it's not really that much off a GA tix if they only get to one other. It's the lure of multiple parks that's the bait.

That one water park over in Cali they once owned, was announced as a Premier managed park by the same folks that bough Magic Springs and Frontier (it's an REIT so long term ownership ain't their thing, return on investment is)They yanked it and it went to Six Flags again as they once owned it.

The truth is that I own a little of SIX stock as part of a portfolio of theme park related stocks. If you had bought into Six and Cedar during the recession you have had made a killing. I cobbled it together about 3 1/2 years ago and still have done well.

Magic Springs has plenty of space to dump used rides, a Tony Hawk spinner would be a nice addition there.