Author Topic: Youtube video about the train robbers at SDC  (Read 11140 times)

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
Re: Youtube video about the train robbers at SDC
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2016, 02:08:20 PM »
Since you wanted updates...  8)

I'm heading out of town this week for some much needed R&R/ solitude time.  But I do have 2 videos scheduled to be posted up this week.  On Wednesday will a full ride through of the Flooded Mine (something I'm sure all of you have seen/ done many times).  On Friday will be, "That's Not Supposed to Happen" on the SDC train- some of the blips and happen along with my biggest blunder I made while working.  So if you're interested, keep your eyes on the channel later this week.  :)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2016, 06:48:29 PM »
Sounds great to me!

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 04:09:46 AM »
Love the video series. I spent a couple summers working as a ride operator and ride maintenance tech at a small go-kart and mini golf park in Texas when I lived down that way so I can relate to some of the experiences. I have often pondered the idea of working up there with the coasters and especially the train. My only issue would be extended lodging despite living about 2.5 hours from the park as it would still be impractical for me for a seasonal job.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 04:17:58 AM by sdcfan88 »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 06:14:02 PM »
Been a little while since I updated here, but there have been videos added and more coming.

Last week I posted a blooper reel, which I hope is good for some chuckles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CJnHhKWYpc Also asked for questions for an upcoming Q&A video.

This week's episode is about 2/3rds SDC, talking about more wild animal encounters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7w2TO5GH5o

Next week's will also be about half SDC, but a topic that in many ways is center to what SDC is- moments where my faith stepped out into action while working.

And then in a couple of weeks will be the Q&A responses.  I got a lot more questions then I thought I would, so it's going to end up a couple of videos.  It's taped already, but lots of editing to do.  But I'm sure I'll have to do another one in the not to distant future as I'm still getting questions.  :)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 06:53:37 PM »
Just posted an update video on what it's like to visit and work during Christmas.  For veterans of the park there may not be a whole lot new here, but hopefully you'll enjoy seeing a look at Christmas season through an employee's eyes.  :)

https://youtu.be/KRc4eAlX8mg

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2016, 12:45:53 AM »
Ok, here you go SDC/ train fans.  Part 1 of 2 of pranks and silliness that we pulled on the Frisco Silver Dollar train.  If you've ever been on the train, you'll get a kick out of this one (and maybe seen some of these things)  If not, you'll still get a good laugh out of this I hope.  I'd love feedback.

And if all goes well, part 2 will hopefully be up Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon.
https://youtu.be/L1h44kDJy8c

I've never worked at SDC, but I've ridden the train many times.

I'm sure you had fun with your fellow train robbers, and maybe got a laugh from the crowd at the end. Was it just polite laughter because they were polite?

As a guest, I really don't want to strain to listen to bad crackling audio of actors putting on a show. The train robber skit used to be about the Bolins interacting with the guests, and getting laughs up and down the line from other riders within direct earshot of those around them.

I know, I'm just a crotchety old-timer from the '70s. I don't have much sympathy for people who think their job is supposed to be entertainment for themselves and their friends.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2016, 09:50:17 AM »
Ok, here you go SDC/ train fans.  Part 1 of 2 of pranks and silliness that we pulled on the Frisco Silver Dollar train.  If you've ever been on the train, you'll get a kick out of this one (and maybe seen some of these things)  If not, you'll still get a good laugh out of this I hope.  I'd love feedback.

And if all goes well, part 2 will hopefully be up Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon.
https://youtu.be/L1h44kDJy8c

I've never worked at SDC, but I've ridden the train many times.

I'm sure you had fun with your fellow train robbers, and maybe got a laugh from the crowd at the end. Was it just polite laughter because they were polite?

As a guest, I really don't want to strain to listen to bad crackling audio of actors putting on a show. The train robber skit used to be about the Bolins interacting with the guests, and getting laughs up and down the line from other riders within direct earshot of those around them.

I know, I'm just a crotchety old-timer from the '70s. I don't have much sympathy for people who think their job is supposed to be entertainment for themselves and their friends.

I'm guessing that you didn't watch (which is ok).  If you do, you'll notice that pretty much every gag and prank we pull is either obvious to the people on the train so they can enjoy it, or it pulls them into it as well.  There's only one exception to that, and it happens really after the show is over.

Because I'm totally with you.  The people on the train are not props, they are the reason we're out there.  So if it wasn't something that wasn't going to be enjoyed by the people on the train, that they would laugh at, or if it would detract from the show at all, then we wouldn't do it.  So those watching either loved it or never noticed it, and that was on purpose.

We never wanted to take away from what the train robbery was and what it was supposed to be- and that was for the people on the train.  Some of the things we did were things that were actually done repeatedly over decades past.  We actually resurrected a couple of old gags, and the newer ones that we did went over well.

The only time I can think of where I got "polite laughter" for doing something unexpected was my pirate show, and that lasted for the first couple of minutes while I think people were trying to figure out if we were really doing what we were doing.  By halfway through they were laughing hard and the end we got a great response (actually had a couple stand up to applaud).

So I'm in total agreement with you on that.  in fact, I think that if you watch, you'll probably see that, and even notice on the one "live" clip in there that it's more than "polite laughter" At some point I'll do another video that will talk about a lot of my banter and interaction with the people on the train, because that was my favorite part and had a ton of fun with it.

On a side note- The sound system was actually a point of contention between us and the park on a number of occasions because of it did and didn't work.  We tried to get it upgraded and improved, and proposed a number of ways to do that, but were never able to get the budgets or improvements approved.  Never liked that because of how it's set up that the very front and back of the train have a hard time hearing.  We pushed the system to the limits, on the verge of feedback loops, trying to make sure everyone could hear everything. 

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2016, 12:22:14 PM »
I really enjoyed your video, sirwillow!  Keep them coming!  It's rather cool to hear some of the facts you share, while at the same time, being respectful and not revealing things guests don't need to know.  Thanks for sharing!  I love the train bad speakers and all.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 05:41:06 PM »
I'm still loving the videos sirwillow! I just watched the one about faith and prayer in the parks and I think it's awesome you prayed with guests who you saw may have needed it. I know that is accepted at SDC but I was really surprised you were allowed to do something like that at Disney!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2016, 10:12:05 PM »
I'm still loving the videos sirwillow! I just watched the one about faith and prayer in the parks and I think it's awesome you prayed with guests who you saw may have needed it. I know that is accepted at SDC but I was really surprised you were allowed to do something like that at Disney!

Thanks.  We really weren't supposed to do it at Disney, which is why I only did it a couple of times where the guest knew I was praying, and did it in such a way that it wouldn't look like it.  I didn't want to offend the guests, nor did I want management to notice either as it could have gotten me in trouble.  But sometimes you have to do what you feel you have to do.  :)

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2016, 06:42:28 PM »
Had one about 3 weeks back about working during Christmas at SDC.  Here's the newest one which is also a SDC focused one- some of those moments where your mouth quits working in sync with your brain and you say something you don't quite mean.  Made for a couple of funny moments on the train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUSTJV03ND0

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2017, 09:55:40 PM »
So for those that are thinking about working at SDC (or any other park) and wondering what makes certain employees seem to stand out, my newest episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74NC9GMgpTc

What Makes a Great Cast Member?  Attitude!

Some of it may seem obvious, but I'm surprised at how many people who work at theme/ amusement parks don't get some of the things I talk about in this one.  While I focus a bit more on Disney, SDC does come up, and this applies at pretty much any park. Hope you enjoy.  And as always, I'd love your feedback.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2017, 02:00:54 PM »
Hope you've been enjoying the weekly videos.  This week is a SDC special one that I've been asked about. Ever wonder what a day is like for one of the robbers?  What do they do each day and what happens?  What it's like to be out there?  Where do they go and what do they do in between trains? Here's a look at what a typical day was for me each day I got to be a train robber at Silver Dollar City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bVcXSRQu8U&feature=youtu.be

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2017, 03:03:10 PM »
I used to be on this website ALL the time but then life got crazy and I got away from it. But I'm back and hopefully for good as I found time in my daily routine to keep up with it.

Sir Willow, I came across your YouTube channel a few weeks ago and have been binge watching trying to see everything you've posted. I love your videos!!! Then I noticed you're on here too! I got really excited since our paths seem to keep crossing! I'm looking forward to seeing more from you! Your videos always put me in a good mood.  ;D
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2017, 11:09:55 PM »
It's been quite a while since I updated this thread, but I haven't stopped unloading videos.  Wanted to post this link though because it's all about my favorite part of SDC- the train!  Here's a closer look at what it was like being a conductor, as well as a couple of the "challenges" that we faced while working on the train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axEgIWE1QPc