Author Topic: The Newbies Thread  (Read 176408 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
The Newbies Thread
« on: September 30, 2008, 10:34:41 PM »
New members, Introduce yourselves! Tell us how you found the site, and why you're particularly fond of the park(s).

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: The Newbies Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 10:02:35 PM »
Old thread but I'll post anyway! I am a lifetime SDC guest, my first visit was when i was several months old, 27 years ago, and I have been back every year multiple times since. I now use the city for my art, and my influences from this bygone era. Collector of SDC memorobilia, and hopefully someday a citizen (worker) in the park. Good enough?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32289589@N05/

SteamFreak

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 10:07:45 PM »
Ironic that a recent post made this front and center right after i joined. Anyway I found this site by just googling some random history about SDC. I'm a huge history buff with deep interest in the 19th century so SDC is like theme park heaven for me. I'm 18 and have been going to SDC all my life. I'm a Captain in a civil war reenacting unit and I sing and play drums. Well, I guess i'm introduced. Looking forward to posting here! Cheers!

HollyAnn

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 02:25:37 PM »
Hi my name is Holly and I have been going to SDC since before I could remember.  I grew up in southern okla and when we moved to Joplin it was a HUGE thing that we were only 2 hours away from Branson and SDC.  I think the first time we went to the park after we moved we got our season passes and have had them ever since.  I love SDC with my whole heart, its just something about that makes me feel almost at home.  I guess you could say its my happy place.  I even spent my 21st birthday at SDC this December.  Our annual Christmas trip with my family from okla fell on my birthday! 

I'm not really sure how I stumbled upon this site...I think it was through the SDC facebook page.  I'm a resident assitant at Pittsburg State University and spend a lot of late nights staying up on duty wasting time on the internet.  I decided to check the site out and loved all the forum posts.  I really wanted to know more about the city, especially the history, and so I decided to read on and have pretty much been checking the site almost daily since then.  And now I have decided that I might as well take part in the forums.  So, here I am!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 02:28:30 PM by HollyAnn »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 07:15:13 PM »
Welcome, Holly.  Join in.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

djtic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 04:48:08 PM »
Hey all,  My name is Jason, but every one calls me TIC.  I grow up at SDC, My grandpa and granny, aunts, uncles, and I have all worked at the park.  It's a family thing.  I havent worked at the park sence 92, but my wife and I and 5 kids go all the time.  I want my kids to grow up at the park like I did.  Yes they love the rides but we like to teach them how it was in the past, when times were slower and not come and go all the time.  I'm 36 and my wife is 31...kids are two 13 year olds boy and girl,  two 11 year olds both girls and a 9 year old boy.   I found this site just playing around trying to find old stuff about the part and it is great......I'm gonna love talking to ya'll

barnswingfan

• I could ride the Giant Barn Swing for hours!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 09:01:15 PM »
I'm a newbie..
I'm a big fan of Silver Dollar City and all it has to offer.. though I'm rather new to the park considering the length of time some of you have been attending the park.
I made made my first visit in 1988 and loved it!  My parents had visited in 1976 when they visited the area and I didn't get to see the place in the photographs until 12 years later.
My sister wearing a shirt that exposed her bellybutton was given a ticket at the front gate for "belly exposure"  I wanted that job.  Dress up and harass the guests... my sister still has that ticket written by Deputy Tweedle. 
I fell in love with Fire in the Hole and the Lost River... The line back then sooooooooooo long!  I want to walk the old queue line one more time.. i loved the little climbing area in there.
Now I find myself on the occasional cave tour ... i didn't know the park had a cave until 1999.. lol oops
I always ran through the Hospitality House and rode rides all day... no time for the cave until I grew up. 
And being a coaster fanatic, I hop on Powderkeg & Wildfire several times... though my favorite ride is the Barn Swing.  It's the only ride I've ridden in a while that causes the butterflys in the belly when you reach the apex of the swing.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 05:28:50 PM »
bsf, have you ever looked over your head at the opposite horizon at the apex of the forward swing.  The horizon is upside down on the other side, while the horizon in front of you is right-side up!  I wonder how they do that.

Welcome to the site to you and Jason!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 12:15:18 PM »
I have already posted a few times but wanted to introduce myself. 
My name is Sarah and my first visit to SDC was in 1984, at the age of 2.  When I was young we camped there for a week every summer.  It was always how we spent vacations until we got older and involved in too many things. 

I miss the feeling that the park used to have, but I also love it for what it has become. 

My first date with my husband was to SDC (we wanted to be able to do something fun together without running in to people we knew) and it was his first visit to the park in more than 20 years. 
Now we are passing it down to our 2 kids.  So...we now spend a lot of time in the grand exposition area.

My favorite thing is Fire in the Hole.  We have had a lot of great times in the City. 

Can't wait to get to know all of you better! 
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 08:02:21 PM »
^Welcome!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

kerrydale

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 10:02:36 PM »
My name is Kerry and my first visit to SDC was in 1984 when I was five.  After going again with my parents a couple of years later, I didn't go back until 1999 with a college group I was working for and that trip made me fall in love with the park all over again.  I've been back every year since 2006, and this year I got my first season pass.  I've been using it to take our three-year-old daughter every few weeks since we live about three hours away, and we're headed back in a couple of weeks for our first daddy-daughter trip.

My favorite parts have always been Grandfather's Mansion and Fire In the Hole, and I've introduced them to my daughter with mixed results...she loves GM, but it's taking her a while to warm up to FITH (she likes everything but the drops she can't see coming!).

I might be becoming overly obsessed with SDC, but it's the one place that feels the same way to me that it did when I was a kid, and everything about the park is like a magnet drawing me back.  I can't wait until this summer when I take a week's vacation and spend every bit of it eating buffet breakfasts at the Mill and getting soaked on Lost River of the Ozarks.  Thanks so much to whoever started this site, because I check in every day to see what's going on!

Bransonreg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 11:47:57 AM »
Well, I have been going so SDC since I was 5 or 6 years old.  I am 37 now and still enjoy going as much as my kids do.  In those 31 or 32 years I have only missed 2 seasons of SDC.  I am a huge fan of the park probably because of the theme.  I am a country boy and that stuff appeals to me.  I used to listen to stories told by my grandparents about when they grew up.  So much of the crafts there remind me of those stories. 

I also love being in the Ozarks.  I am a flat lander from southern Arkansas.  Go Hogs!!!!  If I did not have so much tying me to where I live, I would move to Branson in a heart beat.  Oh well I guess I will have to settle for my 4 to 6 trips to Branson and SDC a year.

I found out about your site just searching the internet about anything to do with SDC.  It is a great site.  Side note, I do not get a whole lot of time to get on the net so if my replies are slow coming, don't hold that against me. 

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 12:29:43 PM »
I will be the first from the welcome wagon to say "HOwDy!!!".

Riverman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 03:33:30 PM »
My name is Justin, and I first went to SDC when I was 4, back in 1981.  We visited every year, bringing more and more friends.  In 1998, I became a Citizen and worked in Tom Sawyer's Playground/The Petting Zoo.  The next season, I was at Lost River, with a stint in Geyser Gulch for Christmas.  A job offer I couldn't refuse came along, and I had to move away, but we still visit every year since. :)

sdcforever

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 03:38:31 PM »
^Welcome Riverman and Bransonreg!  Wow, Geyser Gulch is at least ten years old???  Makes me feel like an old man. ;)