Author Topic: The Newbies Thread  (Read 177872 times)

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: The Newbies Thread
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2010, 08:00:33 PM »
Alright, I guess I should introduce myself.

I am a Branson local.  Used to work at the park a long, long time ago (Buzz Saw Falls Apart was my ride ;)).  I have been going to Branson and SDC my whole life, though I've only lived here for about 13 years.  A friend sent me the link to this place, so that's how I found out about it.  Love the site!  Am really enjoying learning things I never knew about the park that seem to be like common knowledge here!  Awesome site!  I hope to be participating here lots and lots! :)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2010, 08:25:18 PM »
Hey, good to have you here, and nice to see another former SDC employee like me has found the site and enjoys taking part! As you can tell from what it says under my photo, I was on park 1978-1984. Most of my time was spent playing "Junior Dugan" at Rube Dugan's Diving Bell. I look forward to hearing more from you here! :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2010, 10:14:11 PM »
I just joined and I am very excited!  I have been lurking for awhile, but just now decided to join up.  I am from Carthage, MO.  I am 27 so that means I have been going to SDC for 27 years.  The great thing is that now my husband and I can take our 3 year old twins!  My husband is a factory worker and I am a stay-at-home mom with a part time Christmas job.  We try to make it to Branson every month, although it doesn't always happen.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2010, 11:41:21 PM »
Howdy DianaGail!

Taking the family to Silver Dollar City is quality time well spent for sure! Besides, I don't think trying to make it to Branson every month is an unreasonable goal.  ;)

Welcome aboard!  :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2010, 03:17:02 AM »
agreed. i do monthly nranson getaway and enjoy it everytime./ very relaxing to me. i have a 4 hour drive. and dont think anything about it any more...

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2010, 10:09:33 AM »
Wow!  You guys are dedicated!  When I lived 4 hours away, I managed to come down every 7 weeks (I had a part time job where I worked for 6 Saturdays, and then got one off), and I still felt like that was a lot.  But, I also had family to stay with... I can't IMAGINE coming down and staying in a hotel every month!!!  :o

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2010, 11:42:04 AM »
You guys are so lucky! I used to go regularly, but life’s problems, and pressures got in the way, and I could no longer sustain a regular visit. In fact, my visit last week was my first visit back in two, or three years! Yikes! I don’t think I could ever hold out that long again. :P

Count me back in with the "regulars" now. :)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2010, 11:59:45 AM »
Prior to this year I hadn't been since 2002. Since then my wife had a miscarriage, then we had a baby, we went to Panama, we had our house burn down and she divorced me. But my new fiance and I went twice this year so things are looking up  ;D

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2010, 01:12:09 AM »
Hello everybody,

As my username implies, my name is Nate. I am from Springfield, but I usually make it to SDC once or twice a month. While I really enjoy the roller coasters, I am getting to where I enjoy the shops and shows more too.

This site is awesome. It is like a Wikipedia for SDC and Branson. Definitely the best SDC info around, and lots of friendly folks and good discussion on here too  :)

Nate
"I'm not an extraordinary man. But when I put my mind to it,
I'm like Hercules meets Michael Bolton. I can go the distance"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2010, 05:49:33 AM »
yes nate, it seems that i am enjoying the shops and shows now as much as the rides.. i even enjoy a bench in the shade and watch people going by while drinking a cold one!

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2010, 09:18:50 AM »
As my name implies, it's all about the music for me. I guess I'm getting too old for the rides.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2010, 09:30:49 AM »
It's funny you all should mention that since I am in the exact same boat. Back in my younger, younger days, I would spend all day long riding the rides at Silver Dollar City. This past trip however, I rode Powder Keg first thing in the morning to um, rapidly excel my wake up process for the day, and then for the most part, I just floated around the park like a leaf tumbling in the wind.

I actually enjoyed it much more thoroughly, and I have a greater appreciation for what Silver Dollar City is all about. I must have spent an hour just listening to Judy on the front porch of the McHaffie’s Homestead tell her endless stories. Then I spent some time watching blade smith Ray Johnson make a knife, and watch the lye soap lady make her soap. I enjoyed the slower pace at Silver Dollar City immensely.  :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2010, 06:03:37 PM »
Thats great! I do the same thing..  Just float around check things out. watch the people.  Thats one of the reasons i like fall festival, more crafts to look and enjoy.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2010, 06:17:07 PM »
What do you have to do to change from newbie status? Is it based on the number of posts you have? Not that I mind being a newbie, I just thought that this might give me one more post to add to my total to move me to the next level if it was. I'm anything but a newbie. I've been going to SDC for years and I've read hours and hours worth of posts on this website. Many of my hours are not logged as I never use to log in when reading the posts. I started logging in thinking maybe time logged in might change my status. On a side note, it's not been much fun watching the St. Louis Rams beat up on my poor and pathetic Denver Broncos.
Colorado SDC Fan

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2010, 08:29:08 PM »
Yeah, it has to do with post numbers. I *think* the first "promotion" is at 50 posts, but don't quote me on that.