Author Topic: The Newbies Thread  (Read 176389 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: The Newbies Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2010, 09:51:51 AM »
PastorDon, take it from me, a guy who worked at SDC from 78-84...if you get a chance to work there someday, do it! It has been over a quarter of a century since I've been an employee there, but I can honestly tell  you, I carry SDC with me in my heart and mind wherever I go and to any other job I have had. My experience in my late teens and early 20s back then at SDC and working at one of the old, defunct music shows (Hee Haw) led me to a mass communications core at college, and onto a 20 career in radio broadcasting. I'm out of radio now, and working in healthcare, but everytime I have a chance to visit a few minutes with patients coming through the hospital I work at, a throw a little humor and a smile their way, just like I did all those years ago as a "citizen." Memories to last a lifetime. Guaranteed!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2010, 11:50:15 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, Junior.  I have dreams of being on stage in the saloon show, but don't know if it will ever happen.  Maybe I'll just have to wait until I "retire" and go down and drive a shuttle bus for the summer like a retired pastor I met there a few years ago.  By the way, I did about 8 years in radio myself before I went into the ministry. 
In His grip!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 08:22:11 AM »
I worked at radio stations at Cape Girardeau, MO (84-85) Dexter, MO (85-88) Kennett, MO (88-90) Forrest City, AR (90-03) and a short stint at a radio station in Rogers, AR (03) Primarily as a news reporter, but also announcing. Many of my stories appeared on the Learfield Data News Service wire and Brownfield Ag Net in MO, and hundreds of stories on the Arkansas Radio Network and Arkansas Associated Press Broadcasters Asn. in Arkansas. Where did you work at PastorDon?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2010, 12:04:17 AM »
All of my radio experience was here in South Dakota.  I worked for KKLS & KKHJ in Rapid City in the early 80's for about 5 1/2 years where I did mostly news reporting.  Then in the later 80's I was news director at KWYR Radio in Winner for about 3 years.  I got to meet a number of celebrities over the years, and got to see 2 sitting presidents and one former one.  I sometimes miss it and think I'd do a lot better job after all these years of public speaking.  I'd love to get a gig doing voiceovers or recording books on tape. 
In His grip!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 08:36:41 AM »
I was in Arkansas during the time Clinton was Governor and President, so I got to meet and interview him a few times, Also Mike Huckabee, Jim Guy Tucker, Win Rockefeller in Arkansas, John Ashcroft, John Danforth, Kit Bond in Missouri. All high ranking politicians. Most were interesting people. Some strictly political animals. Rockefeller and Huckabee were most personable, most easy for me to approach and work with. Also got to interview Mary Steenburgen, Miss America Debby Turner, a few Miss Arkansas', and be in the same room and/or interview Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood, The Kentucky Headhunters, and a few others. Got to see Ronald Reagan as President, George Bush the First as Vice President, that was pretty cool. I found out if you have a legitamate reason, you can meet and speak with almost anybody, from presidents to celebrities. Plus, they WANT the media attention.  Oh, well...those were the days. It's all over now, baby blue!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 03:08:27 PM »
Howdy folks! My name is Jonathan, I am nearly 25 years old, and I’m the only person in town who listens to bluegrass music with their car windows down. I have lived in The Natural State (Arkansas) for all of my life, and I have visited Silver Dollar City since I was in diapers.

In fact I can remember back to the early 1990’s as little kid, I once peered over the miniature Thunderation publicity model before the real one was actually built. Oh those were the days! The Sky Chase Balloon ride was my favorite attraction as a child.

I love bluegrass, and barbeque, and I would pass up a trip to Disney World to go to Silver Dollar City any day of the week. :D

I also enjoy geocaching for anyone of you who may already know what that is.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 05:34:52 PM »
Ozark BBQ...Junior says Howdy!

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2010, 12:20:19 AM »
I agree with you Ozark BBQ When I went to the Magic Kingdom, I left feeling  I like SDC alot better.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2010, 06:54:23 PM »
Only been to Disney once, but I leave everywhere thinking it isn't quite as good as SDC!

Cardinal Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2010, 02:58:57 AM »
Hey Everyone!!

I just joined tonight!  I have been reading on here off and on for a while.  I think it's a neat website....everyone seems to be really helpful when others ask for info,etc.  I LOVE Branson and Silver Dollar City.....the trips never seem to be long enough when I visit.  I've been going to SDC for about 20 years.  My favorite things about the park are the 1880's theme, the shows, the flooded mine, the train, the food and especially An Old Time Christmas. 

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2010, 06:35:54 AM »
Welcome Cardinal Fan!!  This is a wonderful site and you have joined an excellent group.

Some of us are big Cardinals fans too!!

sixmnms

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2010, 09:32:25 AM »
Hi!  I discovered this site a few weeks ago when I saw it mentioned on the 1branson.com forum, and I couldn't get here fast enough!  I've really enjoyed reading over the posts here, and it's been a great way to get geared up for our upcoming trip!

I think my first visit to Branson...and Silver Dollar City...was in the late seventies.  I'm not really sure what drew my parents to Branson for that first visit, but I remember that we stayed at (what seemed to be to be) a really old motel, called the Three Bears Inn.  We went to a washateria to do laundry, and my dad struck up a conversation with an older man there, asking him what there was to Silver Dollar City and if it would be worth the time and money to go there.  The guy said yes, and in fact he worked there and offered to give us some free tickets (I think they were free, although it may have been coupons).  We all loved Silver Dollar City (and Branson) so much that we returned several times over the next decade.

My husband and I hadn't been married quite a year when we made our first trip together (his first ever) to Branson. We've made 5 other trips since then, bringing a larger crew each time.  Our six children all have wonderful memories of Silver Dollar City, and on our last trip we were able to introduce 3 friends to the area.  Sadly they'd been under the impression that Branson was a place "for old people", but they know different now!  Our upcoming trip is somewhat bittersweet, as our 2 older boys are out of the home (one on his own, one away at college), so for the first time we're downsizing, and there will "only" be 6 of us.  Our little guy was just a baby on our last trip, though, and he's five now, so we're looking forward to seeing him discover Silver Dollar City!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2010, 10:44:56 AM »
Silver Dollar City is a magic place! Great to hear the newest stories here. Welcome aboard to all new members, we hope to hear from you soon.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2010, 07:44:43 PM »
Hi. We found this site via SDCs Facebook page.
My parents went to SDC for their honeymoon back in the early 60s, they started taking me when i was very young. I have been going ever since. Now my fiance' & i have been season pass holders for about 5 years now, we head that way about every 2 months. I proposed to her by the lil' creek that is by Ray The knife makers Shop.
What we like most about the park is the smells.. The employees are kind & courteous, the bluegrass music is great to hear, just the whole experience!
Our favorite rides are The Giant Swing - Fire in the Hole, & Powderkeg.

Just waitin' for this weather to get better so we can come on down!! 
Live life like it's the last day!

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2010, 08:59:33 PM »
Hi, I've been on this site about a month and done a few posts.  I took my alias Duelist from the style of Cowboy Action Shooting I do.  The Duelist category fires the six-shooters one handed.  I live 20 miles southwest of Little Rock and have been going to SDC since 1969 so I got to do a lot of the early things like ride the stagecoach, Jim Owen's Float Trip and Herman the Hermit's treehouse.  I'm a big Old West Fanatic and SDC definitely helped keep my interest in that over the years.  I, my wife and 2 kids are all season pass holders.  My wife and I have had season passes since 1990.  I found this site by Googling "new ride at Silver Dollar City".  And I second Paul Harvey when he said "May there ever be a Silver Dollar City"!
I'm Your Huckleberry