Author Topic: Audits at WW  (Read 6143 times)

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Audits at WW
« on: September 28, 2008, 11:13:25 PM »
How are the audits done?

OrdinaryFella

• WW Veteran
    • View Profile
Audits at WW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 08:59:18 AM »
Well, I could fill a page with how the entire audit goes.... but, in general it's like this:

A professional safety auditor from the risk-management firm (they deal only in aquatic safety) shows up dressed just like a normal guest.  Armed with a well hidden video camera, the auditor documents several guards as they perform their duties.  There are specific things they watch for i.e. head movement, professional behavior, safety equipment, etc. etc. etc.   

The auditor will then "announce" him/her self to the leadership staff.  Then they may perform a "vigilance" audit.  This entails using another person to place a silouhette (sp?) that appears just as a lifeless person would on the bottom of a pool.  The guard on stand (that does not know an audit is taking place) has 20 seconds to recognize the "emergency" (from the guard stand, the guard will not know it's not really a person until he/she touches it) and an additional 10 seconds to get to the "person". 

The auditor will also conduct a test in which the guard(s) performs every part of a rescue with the exception of dialing 911.  This includes removal from water, CPR, Oxygen Therapy, AED use, and other basic life support. 

Keep in mind that each of these steps is recorded on video, usually in full view of the public, and later reviewed by the entire staff.  This is a tremendous amount of pressure and accountability, especially when the average age of waterpark guard is considered.  Exceptional guards are considered for a "golden guard" award, and receive recognition on the licensing entity's website.

The remainder of the audit focuses on the facility, the leadership team, record keeping, and other logistical items. 

If you want to know more about guards that are held to a different standard than your average red cross or YMCA guard (that's not a dig on those agencies, just pointing out that there are marked differences) you can check out www.jellis.com   

The rec plex in town utilizes the same guarding program, as does Splash Country.  As good as the EA program is (best available, in my opinion, and as revealed by their effective history) it is still, of course, only as good as the people implementing it.  It's my opinion (not worth too much) that both White Water and the Rec Plex do a fantastic job of implementing the EA program to it's fullest.  But don't take my word for it.... I'm not sure how much they'd show you, but the audit scores speak for themselves. 

OrdinaryFella

• WW Veteran
    • View Profile
Audits at WW
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 09:00:09 AM »
Hey Moderators, my last post should probably be moved to a new thread altogether.... don't you think?

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Audits at WW
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 11:28:48 AM »
Thanks for letting us know how it works!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Audits at WW
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 08:47:29 PM »
Hey Moderators, my last post should probably be moved to a new thread altogether.... don't you think?

Nah, this thread is about audits at White Water as was your post.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Audits at WW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 09:37:01 PM »
^I actually cut this off of the original thread already.  ;)

Thanks for the info again though, it's great to get the inside knowledge of this stuff.