Author Topic: SDCFans Turning 9  (Read 7084 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
SDCFans Turning 9
« on: July 09, 2016, 11:39:13 AM »
SDCFans will be 9 years old next Thursday. I'm grateful for the years of discussions, friendships, and random craziness this board has provided all of us. I had no idea the site would last this long when I first started playing around with it in 2007, but I'll keep it going as long as people are interested and I am able.

I apologize for dropping off from time to time on the updates and what not. There's always something going on in my life that causes me to push the site to the bottom of the priorities pile.  I am planning another round of changes to the front page to make it more dynamic and continuously updated even when I'm not around. Basically I'm planning to pull in various news and social media feeds instead of trying to write our own stories every week. There will still be some occasional throwback thursday and construction update posts as well.

As always, let me know if anyone has any suggestions to make the site more useful, or if anyone wants to take a more direct role in creating content/managing things.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDCFans Turning 9
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 11:45:55 AM »
Ugh, posting this reminded me of all the forum bugs that still need to be worked out. It took ages to get this to post and then it posted 3 times  ::)

The problem is that there aren't any simple fixes for it. It comes down to problems with upgrading while attempting to keep all our old data in place. We might simply have to archive this board and start a completely new installation to get something that works reliably.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 01:01:44 PM »
Thanks Shave,  Happy Birthday to your "child",  Many years to come... We all appreciate the work you do for us..

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 10:04:22 AM »
Indeed, I have made dozens of friends, through this site, 3 of which are an important part of my life. Thanks for all that you've done!
Now, a question, or suggestion. What are your thoughts on having a sort of "SDCList", where fans can post items, or extras, that they would like to sell or trade, such as pins, postcards, cups, etc.. ONLY SDC items. 
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 03:12:53 PM »
^That's a good idea. We do already have the Ozark Marketplace board, but something distinct might encourage more use. Not sure I have a good way to implement it at the moment, but I'll keep an eye out.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 08:42:55 PM »
Hard to believe it has been that long. Thanks for getting it going, Steve. And thanks for the amazing discussions everyone.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 05:39:23 PM »
I have really enjoyed the site, but dread the day you get too busy with other things and have to consider calling quits...just curious, how many folks are active on the site on a regular basis?  Thanks for your hard work, Shave!
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 07:18:38 AM »
Happy Birthday SDCFans....

I have a 9yo at home....it makes sense that the board is getting moody and trying to do things on it's own now....lol

Appreciate you taking care of it Shave....I'm been a reader for years and have appreciated this forum for my SDC and amusement park nerdiness to come out.

and thanks for controlling the hairy whale population!!!
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 08:40:47 AM »
I have really enjoyed the site, but dread the day you get too busy with other things and have to consider calling quits...just curious, how many folks are active on the site on a regular basis?  Thanks for your hard work, Shave!

I might not post every day, but I sure read this site everyday (multiple times).
Happy 9th Birthday SDCFANS! Thanks for your dedication Shave!
You have a great past just ahead of you.

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 03:43:59 PM »
Same here.  I'll be on several times a day reading the threads, but hardly ever post. 

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 08:37:22 PM »
Yes- congratulations on 9 years!  If this site ever went away I'd be almost as sad as if SDC itself ever shut down (God forbid on both points!) 
I'm Your Huckleberry

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 12:25:58 AM »
I cannot believe it's been 9 years! Which means it's been at least 10 that we've known each other, Shave, since we started out at the 1Branson board before you made SDCFans!

Congrats to everyone for making SDCFans what it is today! It's so amazing!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 01:23:32 AM »
Dadgum.  That means MiG is almost 20 years old.  :o
SWOOSH