Author Topic: SDC's 2017 Project Part 2  (Read 107082 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: SDC's 2017 Project Part 2
« Reply #315 on: November 27, 2017, 06:14:07 PM »
Speaking of Midtown, Sullivan's Mill has basically been converted to a Cinnamon Bread store. A lot of the inventory is gone.

We noticed that when we visited in the late summer.  It's very disappointing, but I see how they chased the money in that decision.  I'm not as disappointed in the inventory as I am in that we never see the actual working part of the mill any more.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #316 on: November 27, 2017, 08:21:22 PM »
The place is absolutely packed at night though - there's not much they can do. My friends waited 20+ minutes in line for some Cinnamon bread during Coaster Christmas. Just like with the rest of the park, there comes a time when they can no longer physically uphold the quaint tight quarters anymore because there are just too many dang people.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #317 on: November 27, 2017, 08:57:24 PM »
If Universal can figure it out with Potter World SDC can too
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 28, 2017, 10:12:49 AM »
No more cutting through Midtown as a shortcut during Christmas season.

I'm ok with the Mill focusing on the Bread :)  That stuff is amazing and I was fine with it not getting the foot traffic before as long as it stayed open.  Afternoon and evening was a great time to stop by for a loaf but was always a crap-shoot on if it would be fresh (warm out of the oven) or even available.  Hope they are keeping up with the increase traffic/demand.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 28, 2017, 10:28:41 AM »
"Good Weather" Saturdays during Christmas seasons have always been packed at night.  Between the shows, parade, food stands, rides....crowds and wait times get ridiculous.  Those few night hours on Saturdays have to be the craziest busy times of the year.  The hordes of humanity that leave the park after the evening parade is insane.  SDC at Christmas is magical, we love to go, but I've had a couple visits where the crowds really overwhelmed the fun..for example 30min wait to get overpriced hot chocolate while fighting for position to see the parade...then 45 min cattle herd walk to a car with tired kiddos isn't fun.  If all possible go on Thursday or Sunday nights...or don't be scare to brave some of the colder (bad weather) nights to enjoy the park and hopefully missed some of the crowds.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #320 on: November 28, 2017, 08:09:32 PM »
I know this is a major nitpick and a bit off topic but I found the hot chocolate to be quite disappointing compared to years past. It used to be quite rich and creamy and it was a drink that you definitely got a good value for what you paid for. The two batches I got from two different vendors at Coaster Christmas was basically brown water with little flavor so it seems like they have cheeped out and decided to stretch their ingredients by watering down the batches as they probably think the average person (non regulars) won't notice. One major thing I loved SDC at Christmas was for the quality of their hot chocolate and sadly that was a miss this year. But Christmas in Midtown is impressive and is a must see in person type of thing to appreciate. Oh and on the flip side, the Wassail was as good as always.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 28, 2017, 08:44:46 PM »
I know this is a major nitpick and a bit off topic but I found the hot chocolate to be quite disappointing compared to years past. It used to be quite rich and creamy and it was a drink that you definitely got a good value for what you paid for. The two batches I got from two different vendors at Coaster Christmas was basically brown water with little flavor so it seems like they have cheeped out and decided to stretch their ingredients by watering down the batches as they probably think the average person (non regulars) won't notice. One major thing I loved SDC at Christmas was for the quality of their hot chocolate and sadly that was a miss this year. But Christmas in Midtown is impressive and is a must see in person type of thing to appreciate. Oh and on the flip side, the Wassail was as good as always.

Cant be as bad as the Hot Chocolate that they serve at the Inspiration Tower after the drive thru lights......   (or maybe it could be)...LOL

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 29, 2017, 10:13:05 AM »

I haven't been this year but the hot chocolate I've had has always been pretty good.  As for the Wassail....a recent youtuber reviewed SDC last week and mentioned that the Wassial tasted like hot kool-aid.....which I thought was a pretty good description.  I thought it was like a hot Hawaiian punch and didn't care for it.  Not sure if SDC's would be considered good Wassail or not but one was enough for me.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 29, 2017, 03:48:59 PM »

I haven't been this year but the hot chocolate I've had has always been pretty good.  As for the Wassail....a recent youtuber reviewed SDC last week and mentioned that the Wassial tasted like hot kool-aid.....which I thought was a pretty good description.  I thought it was like a hot Hawaiian punch and didn't care for it.  Not sure if SDC's would be considered good Wassail or not but one was enough for me.

I have had both year before last and that was enough for me. If it has gone downhill since then it must be terribly bad now.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #324 on: November 29, 2017, 03:59:17 PM »
Interesting to see folks having different experiences, maybe the concessions do have different methods for prepping their drinks? Where all did you get your drinks? Mine were both on the square.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 29, 2017, 04:51:55 PM »
Usually on the square for us.  I can tell you there will be a complaint voiced if The Works isn't as good this week.  We'll be there, Thursday night, so we shall see.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 29, 2017, 08:57:33 PM »
Usually on the square for us.  I can tell you there will be a complaint voiced if The Works isn't as good this week.  We'll be there, Thursday night, so we shall see.

Make that Friday.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 29, 2017, 10:12:32 PM »
I think it’s all prepared somewhere else. I have seen them hauling the huge thermos dispensers on wagons before to the different stands.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 30, 2017, 08:01:36 AM »
Oh, yes.. it and the Wassal is made somewhere else in a central kitchen and dispensed throughout the park as needed..

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 30, 2017, 09:39:25 AM »
Personally, I love the wassail. Last Christmas I bought the hot chocolate and it was very watered down and disappointing, I did not buy it this year, however.

I haven't reviewed Christmas in Midtown yet because I haven't had time. We were at the park the weekend before Thanksgiving, and wow. I was very very impressed. I didn't notice pop music because the area was so crowded and so many people were talking and oohing/ahhing so the music kind of got drowned out. I think SDC really did a top notch job with this new addition. When you exit Midtown onto the square now though, all lights there really feel kind of dull, even the ones on the tree. I think fixing up the square with a new tree for next year's festival should be a new priority for SDC.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."